Spyder Garage

Question 2014 Limited - 2K miles, tachometer needle light is out - how do I fix this?

I have just over 2K miles on a 2014 Limited. We've had it one month now and last night I noticed that the tachometer needle is not lit up.

Anyone have instructions on how to pull the gauge pod and replace that light / LED ?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by WhiskeyThief; 07-27-2016 at 04:53 PM.
    2014 RT Limited - Silver Platinum Satin
    Garmin GPS, Comfort seat w/ backrest

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are you sure that your warranty has expired? Lots of the 2014s ended-up with four years worth of warranties, and an incentive to purchase.
    Check with your dealer about this... Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Are you sure that your warranty has expired? Lots of the 2014s ended-up with four years worth of warranties, and an incentive to purchase.
    Check with your dealer about this... Good Luck!
    When I bought it from the dealer they said "no warranty". Is there a site I can check for warranty status? I was the first owner, and really love the bike, but the "no warranty" did irritate me some. Not enough to pass up a fully loaded limited with only 2K miles, with the Garmin, the adjustable handle bars, the touring seat with backrest and a few other add-ons for $20,000 though.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't know if the original warranty died with the transfer of title; somebody else in here can probably advise you better about that...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

When I bought mine from (Honda House) the warranty started on the day the dealer signed over the title and 1 year and 9 months later purchased the BEST extended warranty. I would make a call to BRP Customer Service.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyThief View Post
    When I bought it from the dealer they said "no warranty". Is there a site I can check for warranty status? I was the first owner, and really love the bike, but the "no warranty" did irritate me some. Not enough to pass up a fully loaded limited with only 2K miles, with the Garmin, the adjustable handle bars, the touring seat with backrest and a few other add-ons for $20,000 though.
    If it was truly a demo and not titled until sold to you, the warranty started when you bought it! I think the dealer was jerking you around.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    If it was truly a demo and not titled until sold to you, the warranty started when you bought it! I think the dealer was jerking you around.
    My understanding is the warranty clock starts the day the Spyder is labeled a "Demo".
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 2014

When I bought mine, 9 months ago, it was a used unit. The previous owner had purchased it as a demo. When I took possession it still had 13 months of New warranty, period. I have since purchased the extended warranty. You may still have warranty. Check with another dealer, or BRP themselves.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce785 View Post
    When I bought mine, 9 months ago, it was a used unit. The previous owner had purchased it as a demo. When I took possession it still had 13 months of New warranty, period. I have since purchased the extended warranty. You may still have warranty. Check with another dealer, or BRP themselves.

Nope!

From BRP -- Thank you for taking the time to contact BRP.

In response to your request, if a unit is used as a demo unit, then it would have to be registered. The unit was registered - Registration 2015/12/22
    and the Regular Warranty End 2016/01/13.

So, to the original question - anyone know how to fix that light?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DEALER DEMO UNITS

Nope!

In response to your request, if a unit is used as a demo unit, then it would have to be registered. The unit was registered - Registration 2015/12/22

I have gone to plenty of dealerships and TEST drove cars ....... NONE OF WHICH WERE REGISTERED ..... The Dealers had Plates registered to the Dealerships that could be placed on any vehicle they had POSSESSION OF ( not registered ownership ). So maybe they are appling Canadian rules to U.S. veh's ........Mike

Spyder Garage

I bought my 2011 RTs in 2012. It was a demo. The warranty started on the day I bought mine. Bruce

Spyder Garage

anyone have a solution to the problem of the tach needle not lighting up????

anyone????

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

anyone????
    I think your choices are to live with it or replace the cluster at something like $700 I'm guessing. I don't know that there is any way to open it up and repair it. You could try I suppose since you have nothing to lose, if you just can't live with it. I don't recall reading of any other one that has failed like that, so there's no history for you to fall back on.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

anyone????
    It's got to be under warranty still so bring it to the dealer and let them take care of it. Unless the two year warranty is done already?
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

Nope!

BRP should fix the light.
    If the bike was registered on 12/22/2015 then the 2 year warranty would end on 12/22/2017 according to my 3rd grade math teacher.
    Good luck getting it fixed.

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=WhiskeyThief;1165501]anyone have a solution to the problem of the tach needle not lighting up????

The speedometer is back lit from the factory, the tach is not!
    Last edited by retired1; 08-06-2016 at 06:22 AM.

Spyder Garage

Since there is no warranty and no one knows of a fix.Find a buddy who does have warranty switch the cluster have him go to dealer get it fixed then switch back.Give him 50 bucks for his troubles.Every one happy.
    Bill
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended

Spyder Garage

Nope!

How can the warranty expire less than two WEEKS from when it was first registered unless this was a flood recovery or some other salvage unit that voided the warranty? If it was, it had to be disclosed at purchase. There is more to this story that you are not telling us.

On the original question, it will require cluster replacement.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Winger View Post
    Since there is no warranty and no one knows of a fix.Find a buddy who does have warranty switch the cluster have him go to dealer get it fixed then switch back.Give him 50 bucks for his troubles.Every one happy.
    Bill
    I would not do this. This would be a good example of felony fraud.
    And to say who would find out is not the point.
    As an adult you should know right from wrong and this is wrong.

Spyder Garage

I bought a 2014 RTS at year end, got 4 years warranty. The dealer telling you "no warranty" does not nullify the BRP warranty. Call BRP, get the right info and return to the dealer with that info. See where that goes.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.