Spyder Garage

Default CORBIN VS ULTIMATE SEATS

Thinking about trying to get a more comfortable seat. kind of an informal poll, which is the best and why ? I am a big guy 295. The standard seat is ok, but I like the thought of sitting down in the seat a little more. Can anyone give me any pointers on this ?
    Thanks,
    Tim
    " Fat people are harder to kidnap "

2015 RTS-SE6 Circuit Yellow
    Akrapovic Exhaust - BajaRon Sway bar
    Rivco rear Trunk Rack
    Lamonster LED Head Lights - LED Fog Lights
    Spyder Cuff - Hwy Pegs
    Ultimate Midrider Seat w/ Yellow Trim - Rear Armrests
    Spyderpops Bumpskid with LED - Full view Turn Signal
    R/T Front grill Inserts
    3rd Brake light - Saddle bad LED
    Baker Built Air Wings
    Doc's Spring Stiffeners - Vibration Dampener
    TRICLED underground LED'S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tmcquain View Post
    Thinking about trying to get a more comfortable seat. kind of an informal poll, which is the best and why ? I am a big guy 295. The standard seat is ok, but I like the thought of sitting down in the seat a little more. Can anyone give me any pointers on this ?
    Thanks,
    Tim
    I'm 250, and have the ultimate tall boy...I actually sit up higher than the stock seat, about an inch. Although I definitely have more padding, that is firmer, with the ultimate...I love it. Never sat on a Corbin
    Brian Kay - Kennesaw, GA
    2014 RT-S SM6 Pearl White (KHAOS)
    TricLED 3rd and 4th Brake Lights - TricLED Turn Signals - TricLED Side Fender Lights - Airhawk R Seat Pad - Smoothspyder Belt Tensioner - JT's Dash Mount - JT's USB and 12v Power Unit - Stebel 139dB Multi Sound Horn - Lamonster NBV Highway Pegs - BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors - Cal-Sci Stock Extra Wide Windshield - Baja Ron Sway Bar - WrapMySpyder 1330 Triple decals - Ultimate Tallboy Seat - BRP Sat Radio - ELKA Stage 2 Front Shocks

Spyder Garage

Thanks ! The other Question is, are there any seats that would let my wife sit a little higher, she says that I block her view...can't believe that...but any ideas ?

Rivco rear Trunk Rack
    Spyder Cuff - Hwy Pegs
    R/T Front grill Inserts
    Baker Built Air Wings

Spyder Garage

I have had both the Ultma is better of the two.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

read all of the problems with Corbin, there isn't a choice, Ultimate is the only way to go.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

I currently have all three in my garage: BRP comfort seat, Corbin, and Ultimate Tall Boy. I have the Ultimate on right now. I'm going to do a write up with pictures on all three very soon. I want to do this because it is SO confusing on what to buy. Plus, I hate the standard answer of: "go to a motorcycle event and sit on them." Well, I am unable to do that.

I've ridden all three in the last couple of months with the idea of figuring out what is the best for me, and maybe someone else that is not sure either. Well, in summary, they each have their pros and cons, and there is nothing perfect.

In my opinion as of right now:
    1. BRP Comfort seat. I think if you're riding here and there and nothing of long term, it is awesome. Its a soft seat. So it is comfy for short term, but not long. However, because it is soft, you can press into the little back wall of the driver's seat. I have long legs and it makes it easier to stretch them out. Corbin and Ultimate have hard boundaries. Now that I've ridden the Ultimate and Corbin seats, I've actually surprised that I like the BRP seat for other reasons. I figured that throwing money at something would make a huge difference. Again, it depends. Of all three seats, I feel like it gives me the most room for my legs.

2. Corbin. I loved the ability to customize the seat. I really liked the website and interaction. The seat has a PERFECT shape for a "butt." It reminds me of my very expensive custom saddle for my horse. It kind of has a tractor style shape. The craftsmanship is great. Big rivets hold the material down. The appearance is awesome. Love the look. It is very firm. Not hard, just firm. It rides lower and firmer. It really bothers me for two reasons: it is at a forward position, like a stock seat, and it is very slippery with vinyl. With my long legs, I felt very cramped with the position and more bend at the knees. It is the heaviest of the three, by a lot. It also does not use the seat prop from the stock seat, and it has weird hinges for the gas door. They look like they should go on your kitchen cabinets. Because of this, if you want to open the seat, you have to open the door. The hinges catch the side if you don't. I think if the seat was a bit back like the BRP Comfort seat, this would be a great seat for me. Someone told me that the "Lamonster" Corbin version is farther back. Well, I couldn't find that information on their site anywhere, and I don't particularly want the logo on my bike. I like his store and efforts around here very much! But, just saying.....

3. Ultimate Tall Boy. I bought the black with black crock inlay. It looks a LOT better in person than on their website. I chose not to buy it first because it is not presented well on their website, in my opinion. The craftsmanship is excellent as well. The leather reminds me of a fine German car's upholstery. Its firmness is right between the Comfort seat and Corbin. It is the tallest of the seats. It may be as far back as the BRP Comfort seat, but it doesn't quite feel that way because of the rigid perimeter, but it is further than the Corbin. It's not nearly as heavy as the Corbin, but is more "solid" than the Comfort seat. The gas door is metal and hinged very well. It has a look like it should be a door for a gas tank. Tough. The seat uses the stock seat hardware, so it uses the seat prop. I haven't quite put on enough miles to give it a recommendation, but I'm pretty sure I'll be riding this one.

After all of this, I think the Corbin seat would have been perfect for me because I liked the lower position and firm ride. However, the forward and cramped feeling are deal breakers for me. I'm going to have to sell it. Someone will get a great deal on a lightly used custom Corbin seat. (Message me if you are interested.)

But the Ultimate doesn't completely win either. I think it would be a perfect seat for me if it was a little lower ride, and I could position myself back more like the BRP Comfort seat. But, I haven't had enough break-in period, and maybe it will change.

While the Ultimate seat is esthetically fantastic, and what I'll be riding, I probably would've kept riding my BRP Comfort seat if I knew the others wouldn't be perfect. Esthetically, it is kind of plain, and it is too soft, but I really like how I can stretch out on it. I would've added some firmness to it somehow.

I've taken a lot of pictures to show the differences of each and will put them together soon to show.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

I have the Corbin and it took a couple thousand miles for it to shape to my bottom
    It is hard but now I really like it
    People have complained that the seat will not allow the glove box to open
    But if you look under the rear of the seat there are 3 bolts on the hinge bracket that bolt to the seat bottom
    They are slotted so you can move the seat backwards
    then I had to drill larger holes for the seat lock so it would line up with the seat pin
    I also took a 90 degree bracket and made a mount for the seat strut had to get a stronger strut from auto parts store
    Now the seat is just as convenient as the OEM but more comfortable and has a gas door
    Don
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Spyder Garage

Default Tough one...

I can only comment on the comfort seat. I feel pretty much the same as tehrlich but will add that the comfort does raise the passenger and the wife was happy about that.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Check with Motorcycle Dave a And see what he thinks he coils do for you by customizing the OEM seat. He's a sponsor on tHe home page.

Spyder Garage

I have had Corbin and Ultimate in the past. My choice for another would be Ultimate! YMMV! Good luck!

Spyder Garage

There was a thread here not too long ago regarding wide ranging problems with Corbin's customer service, and a number of people weighed in with their own negative experiences. Based on those comments and reviews I would not buy a Corbin product.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Corbin

Just ordered a Corbin for my RT - our MC shop is a dealer for Corbin - we've had superb customer service and repairs/reworks done promptly & correctly. Corbin does take a few thousand miles for it to conform to your posterior but for long distance riding it is well worth it. I like the Corbin ride - I have one on my FXR4, my husband has Corbin on all his FXRs; his Norton Commando and his Buell. I'm thinking about getting a Corbin for my Triumph too.

Personally, I like to ride out to Corbin in Hollister to get the seat fitted - can't do it this time but it's a great ride....

I have not ridden an Ultimate, so I cannot comment.

Spyder Garage

Thank you to all that gave me info on this. I went by the Can Am dealer today, they had a comfort seat in stock, I looked at it and measured it. It pushes the driver back exactly 2 inches. Well that comes from the rider, and well to tell you the truth the wife said " You're not taking any of my real estate" So after looking and listening to the feedback here I ordered the Ultimate Midrider today. It sounds like a seat that everyone that has tried really likes, it is not pushing me back, so I'm leaving the misses alone, and her backrest is sculpted, so it may actually give her a little more space. Plus they have a 2 week return policy if it just don't work.
    spyder-rt-seat-yellow-1-750x565.jpg
    Thanks for all the input !

Now if someone can tell me where to get the U.S. Flag thingy showing the states I've ridden in.........

Tim
    Last edited by tmcquain; 07-22-2016 at 03:14 PM. Reason: add pic

Rivco rear Trunk Rack
    Spyder Cuff - Hwy Pegs
    R/T Front grill Inserts
    Baker Built Air Wings

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why listen to all of us asses in here, when you've only got to listen to your own.
    We can't tell you what it'll take to make your butt happy.
    Get with other riders, and ask to test out their aftermarket seats; your bottom will tell you which one is THE one!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Why listen to all of us asses in here, when you've only got to listen to your own.
    We can't tell you what it'll take to make your butt happy.
    Get with other riders, and ask to test out their aftermarket seats; your bottom will tell you which one is THE one!
    Easy for you to say, Bob, but there aren't that many Spyders (apart from deadly poisonous ones) out here in Oz to try, so we HAVE to rely on you "asses" to point us in the right direction. . It's worked well so far as you guys are very knowledgable......well, MOST of you

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

If you ride that Ultimate for 2 weeks, you will NOT be sending it back!! Ride on!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tehrlich View Post
    I currently have all three in my garage: BRP comfort seat, Corbin, and Ultimate Tall Boy. I have the Ultimate on right now. I'm going to do a write up with pictures on all three very soon. I want to do this because it is SO confusing on what to buy. Plus, I hate the standard answer of: "go to a motorcycle event and sit on them." Well, I am unable to do that.

I've ridden all three in the last couple of months with the idea of figuring out what is the best for me, and maybe someone else that is not sure either. Well, in summary, they each have their pros and cons, and there is nothing perfect.

In my opinion as of right now:
    1. BRP Comfort seat. I think if you're riding here and there and nothing of long term, it is awesome. Its a soft seat. So it is comfy for short term, but not long. However, because it is soft, you can press into the little back wall of the driver's seat. I have long legs and it makes it easier to stretch them out. Corbin and Ultimate have hard boundaries. Now that I've ridden the Ultimate and Corbin seats, I've actually surprised that I like the BRP seat for other reasons. I figured that throwing money at something would make a huge difference. Again, it depends. Of all three seats, I feel like it gives me the most room for my legs.

2. Corbin. I loved the ability to customize the seat. I really liked the website and interaction. The seat has a PERFECT shape for a "butt." It reminds me of my very expensive custom saddle for my horse. It kind of has a tractor style shape. The craftsmanship is great. Big rivets hold the material down. The appearance is awesome. Love the look. It is very firm. Not hard, just firm. It rides lower and firmer. It really bothers me for two reasons: it is at a forward position, like a stock seat, and it is very slippery with vinyl. With my long legs, I felt very cramped with the position and more bend at the knees. It is the heaviest of the three, by a lot. It also does not use the seat prop from the stock seat, and it has weird hinges for the gas door. They look like they should go on your kitchen cabinets. Because of this, if you want to open the seat, you have to open the door. The hinges catch the side if you don't. I think if the seat was a bit back like the BRP Comfort seat, this would be a great seat for me. Someone told me that the "Lamonster" Corbin version is farther back. Well, I couldn't find that information on their site anywhere, and I don't particularly want the logo on my bike. I like his store and efforts around here very much! But, just saying.....

3. Ultimate Tall Boy. I bought the black with black crock inlay. It looks a LOT better in person than on their website. I chose not to buy it first because it is not presented well on their website, in my opinion. The craftsmanship is excellent as well. The leather reminds me of a fine German car's upholstery. Its firmness is right between the Comfort seat and Corbin. It is the tallest of the seats. It may be as far back as the BRP Comfort seat, but it doesn't quite feel that way because of the rigid perimeter, but it is further than the Corbin. It's not nearly as heavy as the Corbin, but is more "solid" than the Comfort seat. The gas door is metal and hinged very well. It has a look like it should be a door for a gas tank. Tough. The seat uses the stock seat hardware, so it uses the seat prop. I haven't quite put on enough miles to give it a recommendation, but I'm pretty sure I'll be riding this one.

After all of this, I think the Corbin seat would have been perfect for me because I liked the lower position and firm ride. However, the forward and cramped feeling are deal breakers for me. I'm going to have to sell it. Someone will get a great deal on a lightly used custom Corbin seat. (Message me if you are interested.)

But the Ultimate doesn't completely win either. I think it would be a perfect seat for me if it was a little lower ride, and I could position myself back more like the BRP Comfort seat. But, I haven't had enough break-in period, and maybe it will change.

While the Ultimate seat is esthetically fantastic, and what I'll be riding, I probably would've kept riding my BRP Comfort seat if I knew the others wouldn't be perfect. Esthetically, it is kind of plain, and it is too soft, but I really like how I can stretch out on it. I would've added some firmness to it somehow.

I've taken a lot of pictures to show the differences of each and will put them together soon to show.
    I've ridden all three seats this month now. My opinion has changed greatly from this post, and I'll be posting later today with pictures and details. I can switch out seats and back rests fast now, too!
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tmcquain View Post
    Thanks ! The other Question is, are there any seats that would let my wife sit a little higher, she says that I block her view...can't believe that...but any ideas ?
    My Navigator and I bought the Ultimate Midrider; the height differential between the rider and passenger allows her to see forward without effort.
    Kraut “Not all who wander are lost” – J.R.R. Tolkien

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You might want to contact Russell about their "Day-Long" seats.
    They take special care, in measuring you up, and can custom-tailor the ride heights for each person.

https://www.day-long.com/
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I agree on the RDL, best seats available.

john

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Wow

That is a beautiful seat. We have the same one in black and white! You will love it! Great choice!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default It's all such a personal fit thing

I just put an Ultimate Seat on my 2015 RT Limited and I really like it. I don't have the numbness in my tailbone like I had in the factory seat. I've had a variety of Corbins through the years on a number of bikes. Some of them I liked and some I did not. I generally stay away from Corbin now as I think their quality has decreased through the years. You really should consider a Russell (www.day-long.com) seat as well. I've only had one of theirs in my lifetime and it was the best seat I ever had. The only reason I didn't get one for my Spyder is I just didn't want to wait so long for one and I'd never had an Ultimate Seat.

The best to you in your selection.

Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Default corbin vs ultimate

tmcquain,
    Sorry not a Corbin or Ultimate seat but also take a look at Russell Day Long seats, they are custom built and the best I've ever had. Tried a Corbin, Ultimate and some others- may be good seats, didn't fit me for comfort, but everyone's ass is different though. Had a Russell on three bikes. They will custom build it to fit you and your wife via pictures and your info. You do have to send in your seat though as they use your pan. Look over their website. I've had 3 of theirs and will have one made for my RTS this winter when I'm snowbound. I'll be having them raise the passenger seat on this one also like the other seats I had as my wife likes to look over me and not around me. It sounds like your wife is the same. Also, be aware that the Russell seat will raise you about an inch normally by the time they are done building it.
    I do also always put a larger windshield on my bikes as well to keep her in "the bubble" as well as can be expected.She will always trade the wind for the view. Right now she is sitting on about 3" of cushions and say's its great back there as far as wind turbulence and noise and view. [I'm 5-8 and she's 5-2] I put a F4 Customs- XL width and height on it for a shield with vent. I like the shield as well, I sit in a nice little quiet air pocket. I've always looked thru my shields so that is no problem for me. YMMV. Good luck on your choice. Safe riding!
    Baja Ron sway bar, Spyder Dock, Highway Brackets,Trident pegs, Spyder Decals, Signal Mirror led strips, Utopia backrest, 5 pc. Hopnel liner set, cargo nets side/rear doors. Mesh bag front trunk, foam grips, spare trunk key, passenger armrests/storage pouch's, ram mounts/GPS, Drink holder,Phone, Passenger clamp-on drink holder, rear trunk tap light, custom plate frame, spyder fastener bolts, adjustable lower mirror wind deflectors, F4 Customs windshield -wide,tall,clear,vent,Chrome Spyder grill.