Spyder Garage

Default Gear Brake Decelerometer Discount

Because our bikes slow down so quickly when you get off the throttle, I had been looking for a Decelerometer combined with the flashing for the brake lights. You know, something to keep me from getting read-ended. Found the Gear Brake Smart Brake module, got it installed in 5 minutes, and then the company asked if I would do a survey about my experience with it. They liked my input so much, they sent me a $10 Amazon gift card, and then told me I could share with 10 Spyder friends, and they would get $10 off their purchase. Oh, and when a company asks about an install experience - tell them! Their tech folks are now updating the Spyder install instructions to make it more clear where the module goes. Anyway, here's the link:
    http://gearbrake.com/…/…/gearbrake-smart-brake-light-module…
    And here's the code for the $10 off: KATHYCODE16
    I am really REALLY happy with the way it performs. If I slow down (release throttle, release cruise, downshift, whatever), it flashes a couple times and then goes solid until my speed evens out, and if I step on the brakes, it flashes several times and then goes solid until I take my foot off the brake. And, because I have small hands, I was able to just lift the seat, fish out the brake light wires, plug the module in without cutting a single wire, tuck the wires back in and voila - all done. Didn't have to remove anything, not even a screw! Though really big hands may require removing two screws. Maybe.
    Don't normally promote other companies (other than Lamonster of course! ) but it's like this product was made for the Spyder. Disclosure: I have a 2015 RT-S; I have no idea if the install is this easy for anything other than the RT. But based on other folk's reviews, I imagine it is.

If you use the code, please post, I'm curious to know if it really is only good for 10 uses.

Happy Farkling!

GWRRA Virginia District Director. Because we don't care what you ride, just that you ride safe!

Tri Axis Handlebars / CB & upgraded antenna / GPS & Cell phone integration / Trailer Hitch / FOBO TP Monitors / Black & Pearl Ultimate seat
    Spyder Cuff / Custom Paint / Laser Alignment / Flag Poles / 3rd & 4th Rear Brake & Turn LED's / Gear Brake Decelerometer Module
    A whole bunch of lights from LaMonster and SpyderPops

Spyder Garage

Default Installation of Gear Brake

Guess I should have explained the installation better ...

Lift seat, it's on the left (as you sit on the bike) and for the RT at least, there's a wire coming out of it that connects to the seat.

GearBrake.jpg

Pull panel a bit to the left, and you can pop it up enough to get your fingers under it to fish out the brake wire connection.

IF YOU HAVE A TRAILER there may be two, and you want the one on the right. If not sure, disconnect one and step on the brake. If it lights up, you got the trailer line. If not, you got the brake line.

Then plug the Gear Brake module in between the two brake line ends and feed the delecerometer up through that nice hole they already put there.

Put the wires back under the panel and clip panel back into place. If panel doesn't want to lay flat, you probably have a module on it's side. Make sure all connectors are horizontal for a better fit.

Stick decelerometer to the side next to the panel, making sure arrow is facing forward and you have it fairly level. (DO NOT stick it to the seat!)

Easily done in less than 5 minutes! At worst, if your fingers/hands are too big to reach under the edge of the panel, you'll have to take out a couple screws.

Hurray, I've written my first installation instructions for a Spyder.
    GWRRA Virginia District Director. Because we don't care what you ride, just that you ride safe!

Tri Axis Handlebars / CB & upgraded antenna / GPS & Cell phone integration / Trailer Hitch / FOBO TP Monitors / Black & Pearl Ultimate seat
    Spyder Cuff / Custom Paint / Laser Alignment / Flag Poles / 3rd & 4th Rear Brake & Turn LED's / Gear Brake Decelerometer Module
    A whole bunch of lights from LaMonster and SpyderPops

Spyder Garage

Just placed my order, thank you for posting this.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That looks interesting...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If you are an American Motorcyclist Association member you get 15% off. I do not know if this is in addition to the Kathy code.

I installed the unit a couple of weeks ago and I love it.
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Spyder Garage

No plug-n-play love for us F3/F3-S owners though....
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Cool. ..

Thanks for the info link and discount. It is something to look into and would solve the question of ..does the brake light come on when the nanny applies the bakes..??
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    No plug-n-play love for us F3/F3-S owners though....
    Is it possible the wiring harnesses are the same? at least the plug and socket?
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joebryanjr View Post
    Is it possible the wiring harnesses are the same? at least the plug and socket?
    Not according to the mfg'er. Their response was that they do not have a plug-n-play. Not even a possible date or if they are even considering it or.....
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I ordered one just now and the KATHYCODE was honored.

I had seen this product some time ago, and really wanted one. But I guess I just forgot about it. Thanks for making this thread.

I had dreamed up such a product myself, since the Spyder engine-braking is sufficient to cause significant deceleration that it made me feel unsafe in traffic, knowing how much I was slowing down with no brake light. It was at that time that I searched the web for such a product, and found this one. So now I'm gonna pull the trigger!
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

I too ordered one but got an email that said they had ran out of Can Am connectors but got another email today saying it had shipped.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kitkat61 View Post
    ...because I have small hands, I was able to just lift the seat, fish out the brake light wires, plug the module in without cutting a single wire, tuck the wires back in and voila - all done. Didn't have to remove anything, not even a screw! Though really big hands may require removing two screws. Maybe.
    Don't normally promote other companies (other than Lamonster of course! ) but it's like this product was made for the Spyder. Disclosure: I have a 2015 RT-S; I have no idea if the install is this easy for anything other than the RT. But based on other folk's reviews, I imagine it is.

If you use the code, please post, I'm curious to know if it really is only good for 10 uses.

Happy Farkling!
    I got mine in Thursday's mail, and had it working that afternoon. However, I was NOT able to fish out the wires at all... the whole left-side tupperware had to be removed to get to the plug, which is 3 to 4 inches forward of the "fishing hole," and I have small hands too. But perhaps that's just a difference between the RT-S and the RT-L? I dunno.

I know mine's working, but I don't know how well. I haven't been able to check it in dark of night yet, and can't see it myself in daylight. I'll have to do the night-check, and tweak the sensitivity if needed.
    As noted before, the discount code did work for me. Thanks!

BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Was anyone able to determine if the KATHYCODE and the AMA discount work together or is it one or the other?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    I got mine in Thursday's mail, and had it working that afternoon. However, I was NOT able to fish out the wires at all... the whole left-side tupperware had to be removed to get to the plug, which is 3 to 4 inches forward of the "fishing hole," and I have small hands too. But perhaps that's just a difference between the RT-S and the RT-L? I dunno.

I know mine's working, but I don't know how well. I haven't been able to check it in dark of night yet, and can't see it myself in daylight. I'll have to do the night-check, and tweak the sensitivity if needed.
    As noted before, the discount code did work for me. Thanks!
    I'm curious to see how well it works. Please let us know!
    2015 RT-S SE6
    USAF Retired 1973-1994

Support our Troops

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh, it definitely works! We proved that right in the parking lot where my dealer tech helped me install it. (Or rather, I helped him!).

As you decelerate, without touching the brake, your brake lights flash for 2 seconds, then hold on steady bright. Until you are no longer decelerating. This is all without touching the brake pedal, which of course would take precedence anyway: it activates the brake lights normally, as before.

The "tweaking" is to adjust the effect according to your particular ryde: you should mount it level, then slant it downward to increase sensitivity, or upward to reduce it (to avoid false-flag warnings, so to speak). This is where you need to experiment in an environment where you can see the action, and adjust accordingly. I plan to try that tonight, out on a dark lonely road. So this is something you must do yourself, and my experience is useless to you.
    The product is great, it works as advertised!

BajaRon Anti-sway Bar