Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clanking Sound

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Clanking Sound

New issue with my bike, no error codes or warning lights by the way. The shifting up and down does sound sync too. When shifting up no issues, when shifting down no issues, but when I release the throttle I heard a loud clanking sound in the front. As soon as I accelerate, the noise is gone, only when I am in coast mode between down shifting and lowering my speed. I checked the oil level and it is perfect. Any ideas, I will have to make an appt with the dealer.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited, black, Special Edition, SE6, belt tensioner, Bajaron swaybar, AKARAPOVIC, F4 windshield with vent. Previous 2015 RTS in black and 2011 RT Limited, SE5 with Bajaron Swaybar and Bumpskid

Spyder Garage

Do you hear the clank when going over bumps? I had a similar noise, and it turned out to be loose sway bar backets. Tightened them up, and the noise went away.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk
    ---------
    Jive
    Beckley, WV
    2012 Pure Magnesium Metallic Spyder RTS SM5, SpyderPops Belt Guard

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Two identical threads: started within minutes of each other...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NoJive View Post
    Do you hear the clank when going over bumps? I had a similar noise, and it turned out to be loose sway bar backets. Tightened them up, and the noise went away.

No only when I am riding and letting the throttle go (coasting) as soon as I accelerate or shift up or down is completely fine.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited, black, Special Edition, SE6, belt tensioner, Bajaron swaybar, AKARAPOVIC, F4 windshield with vent. Previous 2015 RTS in black and 2011 RT Limited, SE5 with Bajaron Swaybar and Bumpskid

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Well after the tech checked my bike, I was told that is an issue with the transmission therefore the engine needs to come out. They are calling BRP in how to proceed. This sucks....

Spyder Garage

Ah, sorry to hear that.

---------
    Jive
    Beckley, WV
    2012 Pure Magnesium Metallic Spyder RTS SM5, SpyderPops Belt Guard

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wengerda View Post
    Well after the tech checked my bike, I was told that is an issue with the transmission therefore the engine needs to come out. They are calling BRP in how to proceed. This sucks....
    That does not sound good. Hope they can get you back on the road quickly. As fast as they were able to diagnose it. Sounds like it may be something they've seen before.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We're hoping that they can get you "back on three", in no time flat!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TRANSMISSION AND ENGINE REMOVAL

I'm curious as to why they need to remove the engine for a transmission issue ???? ..... Maybe I don't know enough about the 1330 ........... Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I am not sure why they need to remove the engine, but they wont do anything until BRP gives them the okay. The bike was serviced by them at 3K then at the end of the year approximately 7600 miles, also I had an oil change at 9800 miles. Now I have 10K and the bike is a 2015. Very frustrating.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I'm curious as to why they need to remove the engine for a transmission issue ????
    Some things can be done without removing the engine, but if they have to get to the gears they have to split the cases.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Default ENGINE REMOVAL

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
    Some things can be done without removing the engine, but if they have to get to the gears they have to split the cases.
    Thanks for clarifying this .......Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The service manager called me and they did some troubleshootingon my bike per direction of BRP. All the test came normal, they are not sure what is the problem, therefore they think it will need a new transmission and maybe a motor too. My question, I read a few previous comments and if you dont smashed the paddle hard you can have issues later. I believe I was not soft on the paddle but what happens if you shift without smashing it hard? They think that the bike will be at their shop for at least 2 months. Also do we have motorcycle lemon law (Virginia) on a 2015 with 10k under the belt. Thank you everyone for your comments.

Spyder Garage

Tied up for 2 months, that's ridiculous.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

To be precise......The paddles are electrical switches. They are not pressure sensitive. That's just another urban legend that has taken on a life of its own around here. I've been lightly flicking mine for 5 years and 35k miles and it loves it. You didn't do anything wrong to cause this.

Agreed. 2 months for any job, much less a warranty job is ridiculous.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    To be precise......The paddles are electrical switches. They are not pressure sensitive. That's just another urban legend that has taken on a life of its own around here. I've been lightly flicking mine for 5 years and 35k miles and it loves it. You didn't do anything wrong to cause this.

Agreed. 2 months for any job, much less a warranty job is ridiculous.
    I have to agree. Just another stupid myth that gets repeated often. But one of many.

How can they tell you it will take 2 months and they don't know what's wrong. Really!!!!

2018 F3 LIMITED

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thank you for the myth information, I wanted to make sure that I did not do something wrong. I am in the Northern VA area, This area is very hard for our Spyder toy, we dont have platinum dealers like in many other places. Well maybe if they figure out exactly what it is wrong, then they can fix it faster. Also if I start demanding, I will pissed them off and probably will not even be faster fixing my Spyder.

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Too Long!!

I don't see how it will take 2 months for an engine change. Wouldn't it be worth a haul elsewhere to shorten it up? I'm sure there is a dealer within 3 or 4 hours that could do it faster. I remember seeing a post on here of someone else having to get a whole engine/transmission & I don't think it even took a month. Am I right Bob?
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The manager told me that it will take time to fix the bike because we are at the peak of the season. Well I willwait for 2 weeks and see how they are progressing. I will keep you guys informed.
    Last edited by wengerda; 07-21-2016 at 05:31 PM.

Spyder Garage

If you are willing to put up with sub-standard repair times shame on you. Just my 2 cents but BRP should replace the engine/transmission with a new unit. You shouldn't expect the repairs to take more than a week and that is being generous. Two months "Because they are busy" is total BS. Would you accept this kind of treatment on a 10,000 mile one year old car? I doubt it. If you bought it new at this dealer I'd be talking lemon law.

Edit: At minimum I would expect the dealer to do an oil analysis and remove the filters and inspect them for metal. At least that would indicate what it is that is failing. If nothing is found you should ride it until it shoots craps. The we don't know what's wrong and you get to be the Guiney Pig is BS. The dealer should have trained techs, not someone off the street learning on your high dollar ride. RANY OVER!
    Last edited by Sam Mac; 07-21-2016 at 05:52 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default THE PADDLE

The service manager called me and they did some troubleshootingon my bike per direction of BRP. All the test came normal, they are not sure what is the problem, therefore they think it will need a new transmission and maybe a motor too. My question, I read a few previous comments and if you dont smashed the paddle hard you can have issues later. I believe I was not soft on the paddle but what happens if you shift without smashing it hard? They think that the bike will be at their shop for at least 2 months. Also do we have motorcycle lemon law (Virginia) on a 2015 with 10k under the belt. Thank you everyone for your comments.
    .As Snowbelt Spyder said ....the paddle is ELECTRICAL ....not mechanical .....so there can't be a hard or soft shift .....it either makes electric contact or it doesn't ......I'm sure I'm a soft shifter, it doesn't need anything else so why possibly break it for no reason......And a "PLATINUM " Dealer gets that rating because of the amount of PRODUCT SOLD .....not because They are competent in the Tech Dept.......Mike ........................Good Luck

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Mac View Post
    If you are willing to put up with sub-standard repair times shame on you. Just my 2 cents but BRP should replace the engine/transmission with a new unit. You shouldn't expect the repairs to take more than a week and that is being generous. Two months "Because they are busy" is total BS. Would you accept this kind of treatment on a 10,000 mile one year old car? I doubt it. If you bought it new at this dealer I'd be talking lemon law.

Edit: At minimum I would expect the dealer to do an oil analysis and remove the filters and inspect them for metal. At least that would indicate what it is that is failing. If nothing is found you should ride it until it shoots craps. The we don't know what's wrong and you get to be the Guiney Pig is BS. The dealer should have trained techs, not someone off the street learning on your high dollar ride. RANY OVER!
    Dude relax and take a chill pill. I am in the DC area and here the dealers are not as great as maybe in your area. The bike is apart, and is not as easy to tell them now to put it together and me putting the bike in a trailer and move it to a better dealer. Coleman in Falls Church is a reputable dealer. I knew when I bought the bike that using this dealer will be a challenge. I will keep up talking to the manager, and they are contacting BRP, and yes I am at the mercy of BRP giving the dealer the information to have the bike back running.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thank you for the myth information, I wanted to make sure that I did not do something wrong. I am in the Northern VA area, This area is very hard for our Spyder toy, we dont have platinum dealers like in many other places. Well maybe if they figure out exactly what it is wrong, then they can fix it faster. Also if I start demanding, I will pissed them off and probably will not even be faster fixing my Spyder.
    Eveybody loves that dealer in Hanover PA, if you feel up to getting your machine back and getting a second opinion. 90 miles away. Never mind. I see it is apart.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 07-21-2016 at 06:13 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I know about Hanover, but I did not expect that the bike was going to be so f'ed up. If I knew what I do now, I will have taken the bike to Hanover. Either way the bike is been at the dealer for 2 days and they are doing troubleshooting per BRP. Is not that the bike is sitting at the dealer.
    Last edited by wengerda; 07-21-2016 at 06:17 PM.

Spyder Garage

Dude relax and take a chill pill.
    Trust me I'm about as "Chilled as one can be". I was only trying to be helpful but it sounds like "You Got This".

Edit: My ride runs yours doesn't. I'll sit back and see how this turns out.
    Last edited by Sam Mac; 07-21-2016 at 07:09 PM.