Spyder Garage

Default Illinois Licensing Requirements

Hello Fellow Ryders. I am looking for some information on licensing requirements in Illinois. Do trikes require or offer a separate endorsement? I am trying to help get a wounded vet licensed and he currently lives in Illinois. I know some States offer the training and licensing specific to trikes while others only offer a motorcycle endorsement. As it stands doing the training on two wheels might not be possible. Would greatly appreciate any info you can pass along via comment or PM.

CJ JAX

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Regular motorcycle license and plates for IL. Pretty simple

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you go to www.can-am.brp.com they have a list of each state's licensing requirements. It says that you can take the licensing test on a Spyder in Illinois.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Illinois offers the opportunity to take the motorcycle skills test on a Spyder or other type of three wheeler. You must pass the regular written exam for motorcycles, then you must take and pass the skills test. If the skills test is taken on a three wheeler, then you will receive a J-11 restriction on your motorcycle license. This will allow operation of a three wheeled motorcycle only.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerAnimal View Post
    Illinois offers the opportunity to take the motorcycle skills test on a Spyder or other type of three wheeler. You must pass the regular written exam for motorcycles, then you must take and pass the skills test. If the skills test is taken on a three wheeler, then you will receive a J-11 restriction on your motorcycle license. This will allow operation of a three wheeled motorcycle only.

I took my test so long ago and Trikes were not really out there as they are now. I didn't know about the J-11 for trikes if you take the skills test on one..
    I just read up on the PDF for Illinois and posted..

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the information. Now on to identifying a class location and getting someone some wind therapy!

CJ JAX

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zuni View Post
    Thanks for the information. Now on to identifying a class location and getting someone some wind therapy!

CJ JAX
    If I were you, I'd stop at the closest SOS location and ask them what is required for taking the test.
    My experience has been that some locations are a lot more liberal in the interpretation the law.
    Whwn I got my M endorsement it was not necessary to take a course if you could pass the skills test,
    If you google Ill. motorcycle safety course, it will list locations and dates of available classes.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retired1 View Post
    If I were you, I'd stop at the closest SOS location and ask them what is required for taking the test.
    My experience has been that some locations are a lot more liberal in the interpretation the law.
    Whwn I got my M endorsement it was not necessary to take a course if you could pass the skills test,
    If you google Ill. motorcycle safety course, it will list locations and dates of available classes.
    Thank you for the info. The class and licensing aren't for me but for a wounded veteran we hope to get trained and licensed to participate in this years Road Warrior ryde. I help out with the organization and work with dealerships and organizations to get vets selected for the ryde trained. Earlier this year Caliente Harley Davidson in San Antonio Texas picked up the tab for a ryder to be trained on a Spyder! Woods Cycle Country, the local Can Am dealer provided a loaner for the training. There are many great dealerships around, two and three wheeler alike.

CJ JAX
    Last edited by zuni; 07-17-2016 at 05:00 PM.

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Unless something has changed in the last 6 years, completion of a training class wasn't a requirement for licensing. Successfully passing the written and skills test were all that were necessary. As noted above, if the skills test was taken on a 3 wheeled machine, (DMV moves the cones to accommodate the wider stance) the license issued is a J, which limits the operator to 3 wheeled motorcycles.
    I trust all will go well and the veteran gets the license.
    And, please extend my appreciation for serving and for their sacrifice.

Sent from my little piece of paradise!
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

No training class is required for getting a motorcycle license. You can take the written exam and obtain a learner permit that allows operating a motorcycle while with a licensed operator. The skills test can then be taken up to a year later. You can also take both tests on the same day; written first, then if successful, a skills test on either a two or three wheeled motorcycle to obtain your license.

If you take an Illinois DOT approved training course you will not have to take the written and skills test at the Driver's License facility if you successfully complete the training course because they will administer the tests themselves as part of the course. At least that's the way it worked when I took the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course.

Spyder Garage

I took my test in Clinton, IL. The two ladies there were so nice, but weren't sure what to make of the Spyder. They have a small "course" behind the building and made me go through all the paces. The neighbor stopped working in the yard, pulled out his lawn chair and watched. I think if one can pass the test with a Spyder on that little parking lot, they deserve the trike endorsement! I was trying to avoid the zombies at the Bloomington SOS office.

2016 F3 Limited - Triple Black Atlanta