Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 3 Extra screws... Really? HAPPY FRIDAY

So I'm hoping you find this somewhat amusing and can add to this as well. I took several body panels off my 2011 RT, changed the oil, checked fluids, cleaned really good behind or underneath (because I'm a neat freak). Only thing I didn't do was put the same screws I took off (said panel) with that panel as I worked. I put them in a large pile on my work bench and then grabbed what I needed to re-assemble the bike. at the end I had 3 extra screws. "WHAT", so I took panels off again here and there to see if I missed a screw or two. Could not find anything missing.
    Took bike for a ride and everything seems tight and no issues. So am I alone in this conundrum? Has this happened to you at all??

Thanks
    Rich

Spyder Garage

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rworell View Post
    So I'm hoping you find this somewhat amusing and can add to this as well. I took several body panels off my 2011 RT, changed the oil, checked fluids, cleaned really good behind or underneath (because I'm a neat freak). Only thing I didn't do was put the same screws I took off (said panel) with that panel as I worked. I put them in a large pile on my work bench and then grabbed what I needed to re-assemble the bike. at the end I had 3 extra screws. "WHAT", so I took panels off again here and there to see if I missed a screw or two. Could not find anything missing.
    Took bike for a ride and everything seems tight and no issues. So am I alone in this conundrum? Has this happened to you at all??

Thanks
    Rich
    You cleaned away the holes they belong in Keep the screws in a safe & labeled (ez to find) container you will find where they go eventually

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default Not alone

I've got two extra body panel screws in my glove box. Maybe next time I remove the tupperware I'll find where they belong.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How about if you posted a pic of the screws?
    (Along with something to add some perspective as to their size...)
    It might help us: help you!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Not looking for an answer :)

I know where the screws will go once I enventually find a missing one. I just thought it to be funny that I was very careful re assembling and still have 3 extra.

Nice to know I'm not alone and others have one or two until the next tear down of our Plastic.

Spyder Garage

I could use a few extra ones. My spyder has had missing ones since I had it and I have stripped out the head of one. I need to go to the dealer and get some more. Also there was no springs on the left exaust intake when I got my bypass. If I tell them they man not believe me because I did the work.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

As the wife says to me while I have something apart "Spare Parts again?"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    I could use a few extra ones. My spyder has had missing ones since I had it and I have stripped out the head of one. I need to go to the dealer and get some more. Also there was no springs on the left exaust intake when I got my bypass. If I tell them they man not believe me because I did the work.
    On the left side the exhaust no springs are installed from the factory and are not needed. Also on the left side there is a spot for 2 screws for the lower side panel. Again not installed from the factory and not needed. In fact if you install the spring clip nut and screws it will make it a pain in the a$$ for changing the oil. Requiring the removal of the rear side panel. On a limited also requires removing the the left saddlebag and mounting frame. So don't do it. Check it out for yourself on the BRP online parts fiche.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know where the screws will go once I enventually find a missing one. I just thought it to be funny that I was very careful re assembling and still have 3 extra.

Nice to know I'm not alone and others have one or two until the next tear down of our Plastic.
    All of my "projects" over the years, have left me with enough spare parts to build several snowmobiles, ATVs, dirtbikes, and streetbikes.

A true mecahnic.jpg

Spyder Garage

Smile Zip lock bags???

I know this won't help with the three screws that don't have thier home now but:

I put the panel screws in a sandwitch bag and tape it to the panel.

Works every time.

There is no:

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Not unusual....

Though I have found the spots I missed, I have learned to set the panels aside with their respective screws to avoid this. You will notice some have a nylon washer and some don't . Painted panels should get the washer black panels don't need them. And, you can't thread a torx screw where a push pin goes....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I use a small multi compartment parts box, type you buy at hardware store with the plastic lid. I always keep each components fasteners in a separate compartment so I know how many and what size each part takes. Just take note of what size screw goes in which hole, I put a sticker on the back of each unique screw size hole for quick reference.

Spyder Garage

Thanks
    Rich
    Rich this has happened to anybody and everybody at least once who does their own work. It is funny and frustrating at the same time. You're careful,you know you put a screw in every hole,you know you know you did it right, it works,nothing is loose or falling off, yet there they are laughing at you those **** extra screws( or parts or whatever)

There are screws that are hidden under an overlaying panel and you will find those holes next time you take it apart. And you learned a valuable lesson about keeping things together in a set order,which for you being a self confessed neat freak will be easy to remember. And now you have done a great service to all those Spyderlovers here that want to do their own work but are a little nervous about diving in. Thanks for the story and giving us all a chance to laugh at ourselves a little.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I've always used a muffin tin or two and put screws in the same order as i set the panels down to keep them together .
    2015 RT White,Tj's Dash mount,Rivco's Duel Flag Holder,SealsFloorBoards(Pups),Custom Dynamics fender lights(R/W)Bajaron's Swaybar & links,Lamonster's LED headlights,lidlox.Wiredux A-arm driving lights(upper&lower)FOBO TPMS system,Spyerpops lighted bumpskid,Foom handgrips.
    tobor9@me.com

Spyder Garage

You have entered the Twilight Zone. There is something alien about screws. They multiply on their own. If you drop one, it will instantly find a black hole and disappear forever.

Many of us have been to that part of the Twilight Zone.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Do they go along the front of the left saddlebag?

As I recall when changing oil on our 2011 I usually removed the left long panel to get easy access to the trans filter, etc. When I removed the three screws in the black saddle bag (hidden by the lid), I usually placed them in the open lid close to where they went back. Just a thought. I have also managed to accumulate a few spares as well as some new replacements especially for the black pushpin fasteners that get mangled after a while.
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Default another story

I used to do a lot of sailboat racing on the gulf coast, and it was great fun to pitch a cotter pin or two onto a competitor's deck....then watch while they look around to see where it came from, eventually sending a man aloft to check all the rigging. Laughter is the best medicine.....
    jb
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's a good thing that they never figured out where the extra cotter pins came from!

Spyder Garage

when i used to take my wing apart to do some work, i always had extra stuff. i was surprised the bike still stayed together lol
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

This is going to be a looooooooong thread.
    Everybody has a frustrating/ funny story about "extra" screws.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    when i used to take my wing apart to do some work, i always had extra stuff. i was surprised the bike still stayed together lol
    Did you ever get a chance to talk to it's next owner?

Spyder Garage

no bob, i traded it in and a wholesaler bought it from ct.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Bronco II....

I've had my Bronco engine out & in 3 times now & when I removed something I put the bolts or screws back into the attaching holes they came out of. Works good for me. Plus plenty of pictures with the smart phone. Great tool when taking something apart!!! Happy Friday also known as POETS day!! Piss on everything, tomorrow's Saturday!!

Oh Look!! Dancing Carrots!! Or are they jalapenos?? And I haven't had any beer yet!!
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dancing Hot Dogs?? I'll drink to that!