Spyder Garage

Default No Compressor Included on 2018 RT LTDs?

Regarding 2018 RT Limited models being sold; We have noticed the RT Limited 2018 models around here do not come standard with Compressor Controlled Air Controlled Suspension (ACS) but only the Schrader valve to Manually Adjust rear suspension. Not to exceed 90 PSI.
    The compressor is listed as standard equipment on the LTD RT in the spec sheet.
    Was there issues with these compressors so they took them off the LTD or was it an added ($) option on the LTD models? What is the thinking behind this equipment not coming installed.

Update: Did homework and confirmed that all new 2018 RT LTDs do indeed have a compressor to control suspension air BUT controlling the pressure is all automatic with no input in LCD dash or any manual switch. That is why on the 2018 LTD has no safety label 9 installed by the schrader valve under the seat. You can manually set the preload between 20-90psi (say 45psi) and leave the compressor auto level the Spyder by itself as passenger and cargo are added or removed. Nice.
    Last edited by MeudtPG; 12-29-2018 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Revised to "Compressor Control"
    "BLUE STAR – She shines so brightly"
    2018 SPYDER RT LTD SE6 BLUE/CHROME
    2018 RTL , Large Brake Pedal (cut 1/3 off). Oxford Blue/Chrome

Spyder Garage

The compressor and control is there on the 2018s but it is not user adjustable from a dash switch for firmness. Its preset for a specific ride height and auto adjusts.

All Spyders with air suspension have the schrader valve, auto or manual.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Yes, there have always been issues on the Compressors, if you search the treads that are scattered. I remember discussions about how cheap the OEM Compressers were, and some members replaced the OEMs with beefed up compressors, that had to be custom fitted. The Compressor went on my 2012 RT Limited at around 55,000 miles logged, and the Air Bag is usually replaced at the same time. It cost me $1300 parts and labor to replace mine. My Waurentee had expired, so it was out of pocket. How ever, I am not sure if Compressors and Air Bags are covered. I have the same set up on my 2016 RT Limited, and plan to purchase the 3 year BEST Extended Waurentee this Summer, but on the Brochure, I don’t see the Compressor as being covered on the list of covered items. So, I would just as well by pass my Compressor on my 2016 if it fails and is not covered under Warentee, as your 2018 does.

Quote Originally Posted by MeudtPG View Post
    Regarding 2018 RT Limited models being sold; We have noticed the RT Limited 2018 models around here do not come standard with Compressor Controlled Air Controlled Suspension (ACS) but only the Schrader valve to Manually Adjust rear suspension. Not to exceed 90 PSI.
    The compressor is listed as standard equipment on the LTD RT in the spec sheet.
    Was there issues with these compressors so they took them off the LTD or was it an added ($) option on the LTD models? What is the thinking behind this equipment not coming installed.
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

The OEM compressors have a high failure rate. The two main problems are:
    1. Sticking brushes on the motor.
    2. The setscrew that fastens the crankshaft to the connecting rod backs off or wears at the tip. I have personally replaced two with this condition.

Here is a YouTube video showing what is involved when replacing the compressor with a better after market unit.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NR_LY7u8eY&t=6s
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

WOW! What a Night Mare! I would never have the patience to tackle that Job. No wonder its so expensive to replace. Thanks for this Video.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    The OEM compressors have a high failure rate. The two main problems are:
    1. Sticking brushes on the motor.
    2. The setscrew that fastens the crankshaft to the connecting rod backs off or wears at the tip. I have personally replaced two with this condition.

Here is a YouTube video showing what is involved when replacing the compressor with a better after market unit.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NR_LY7u8eY&t=6s
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze