Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Default Another tire issue

I just want to say that I have had 2 Spyder RT Limited's in the past 4 years. I had over 37,000 miles on the bike and traded in for a 2014 Ltd. I replaced the Kendra tires on the 2012 with car tires and they did OUTSTANDING. NO issue with the steering or anything. When I had very little mileage on the 14, I replace them with car tires and so far, I had zero issues.

Don't know if there is any issues with car tires vs. inferior Kendra tires, but the car tires have a 45,000 miles for the front and 40,000 for the rear tire, so, until BRP makes a better tire than what I have I will use the car tires.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by _..stiffler.. View Post
    Why 215/60/15 and not the OEM size of 225/50/15.

I know they are close to the same height. But a bit narrow. Just wondering reason.

Sent on Note 5 in Taptalk
    there are tons of threads about tires. lots of people are using this tire and is highly recommended with great results, I.E. mileage, traction, noise Etc.
    Capture.JPG
    Absorb what is useful, use no limitation as limitation

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Originally Posted by _..stiffler.. "Why 215/60/15 and not the OEM size of 225/50/15.
    I know they are close to the same height. But a bit narrow. Just wondering reason. "
    The 215/60 is just a bit taller, and helps to correct the speedometer error (2mph at 55...), that bothers some folks.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Awesome. Perfect thx.

I need a back tire soon. Just looming at options.

2011 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    By now I would think everyone here know of the problem they had with the Kenda in early 2014. They have since gone back to the original compound and I for one (maybe the only one) have not had a problem with them front or back. I have had two rears and two sets of fronts. I am currently on my third rear, though I want to give the Aracnid a try and it is doing well. I am now convinced that it is where (geographically) you ryde that is determining much of the wear differences...and knowing where the wear limit blocks are....jmo mind you...as for center wear, you tube drag racing and watch what happens to the rear tires... air pressure is only part of it.....
    Lamonster has not had any good luck with the Arachnid tires, others have said they don't last any longer than the Kenda's.

Spyder Garage

I know, Ann (Squared Away ) also has not had great outcome. Still counting on the variables to make the difference. I had no problem with the Kenda may be the same with the Arachnid.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

My 1st tire only lasted 4k miles BRP offered to pay for 1/2 the replacement tire. Dealer put on a Khumo for me. Khumo has slightly more road noise but does not feel as loose in the twisties.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    How many miles on the TR1? How do the handle the cooler weather?
    The Toyo TR1 gave me about 14k. The original Kenda went 11k but it had belt showing in some places so not a good comparison. I did a number of burnouts on the Toyo. I did not treat the Kenda in such harsh fashion. Plus I learned to ride the Spyder on the Kenda. I rode much harder on the Toyo.

What I am trying to say is that tire wear is relative. Some will say 'I got 15k on my Kenda so it must be as good as your Toyo'. But high mileage on a Kenda (IMHO) is more a function of where and how you ride than representative of tire quality.

My guess is (in an Apples to Apples comparison) that someone who was able to get that many miles from a Kenda would probably get 20k plus from a quality car tire if they rode it the same.

The Toyo got a bit greasy near the end of its life in cold weather. Otherwise, it was a great tire, wet, dry or cold. Problem is, they have been discontinued for quite some time. But I believe that a good quality, appropriate car tire would give you similar results.

Quote Originally Posted by _..stiffler.. View Post
    Why 215/60/15 and not the OEM size of 225/50/15.

I know they are close to the same height. But a bit narrow. Just wondering reason.

The real reason is that you can't get this tire in the OEM size. This is as close as you can get to 225/50/15.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-14-2016 at 02:48 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    ...they have been discontinued for quite some time.
    Ah that explains why I couldn't get one this time around, they are still on their web site so assumed they were still available. I had to go with a Toyo Proxe 4 instead which is still a lot better than a Kenda but not quite as good as the T1R for performance. Not had it long enough to see what the wear is like.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder2014 View Post
    I just want to say that I have had 2 Spyder RT Limited's in the past 4 years. I had over 37,000 miles on the bike and traded in for a 2014 Ltd. I replaced the Kendra tires on the 2012 with car tires and they did OUTSTANDING. NO issue with the steering or anything. When I had very little mileage on the 14, I replace them with car tires and so far, I had zero issues.

Don't know if there is any issues with car tires vs. inferior Kendra tires, but the car tires have a 45,000 miles for the front and 40,000 for the rear tire, so, until BRP makes a better tire than what I have I will use the car tires.
    What type of car tires are you using

Spyder Garage

What make of tire would you recommend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    Ah that explains why I couldn't get one this time around, they are still on their web site so assumed they were still available. I had to go with a Toyo Proxe 4 instead which is still a lot better than a Kenda but not quite as good as the T1R for performance. Not had it long enough to see what the wear is like.
    I have heard that they are still available in other countries. Maybe that is why they are still listed.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I ran my at 24 psi and got 12,500 before I had to replace it. I recently switched to an Altimax 215/60 R43. It is a much better tire

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default EXACTLY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Typical. There is no way to keep a 2 ply tread tire from wearing in the middle. It's a given. Weak tread bands not only allow the tire to bulge in the middle when inflated. Centrifugal force at speed also acts to overwhelm the weak tread area causing a balloon effect. To me, it's a no brainer to go to a well made, less expensive car tire.

A car tire will have a 4 ply tread area. This keeps the tread flat against the road. When riding on the Kenda at speed you're only getting maybe 3" - 4" of contact. The rest of your tire is spinning in the breeze. Not a comforting thought if you have to make an emergency stop.

As you can see, I got my monies worth out of this Toyo Proxes TR1 tire (Left). Notice how much tread I put on the pavement compared to the Kenda (Right). The Toyo maintains a flatter tread area so you get nearly 100% contact with the pavement. As you can see, not so with the Kenda. The Red area is how much contact you have with the pavement at lower speeds. The Green is all you have at freeway speeds.

I know there are Kenda fans. But I wonder if they understand the full story.

Absolutely the best way to describe the condition. I sold tires for a couple years back right after highschool. My daughter currently is a tirebuilder for a MAJOR manufacturer. And you described the condition correctly. I got about 11k miles on my rear tire. Now I have 2k on my car tire replacement and no signs of wear yet.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bobleach45 View Post
    28 psi is overinflated in my opinion. I had it there and dropped to 26, especially in The FL heat coupled with the heat from the exhaust. Mine was changed at 9925 miles before I bought it due to a slice in the tire . Have put on 12,500 mi and by the looks and measurement with tire tread gauge I'm anticipating getting 19-20. Can't complain about the original fronts. At 22,500 miles now and expect I will change at 27-30 and I never go all the way to the wear bars. This doesn't mean I won't try something else. That is something I'll still have to ponder. I run the fronts at 17 psi.

Smart man, yes from what I have seen many are running 25+ in the front and up to 36 on the rear - 16 or 17 is proper for the front and 24 on the rear. Wider tires normally take less pressure due to increased surface area.
    Also all the suggestions regarding dumping Kenda and going with standard automotive makes sense. I ran Kenda tires on other vehicles in the past and never had much luck. Continental seems like a good brand and in most cases don't even require balancing as they tend to be nice and round and true.

Spyder Garage

Never ceases to amaze me. Everybody has a tire story and an opinion and there is no agreement what so

ever.

Kind a like trying to "Pin the Tale on the Donkey" in a dark room!

Rumor has it that a new Website called TIRELOVERS is in the works. Lamont is fine tuning it as I type.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default But isnt it fun to give our opinion

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Never ceases to amaze me. Everybody has a tire story and an opinion and there is no agreement what so

ever.

Kind a like trying to "Pin the Tale on the Donkey" in a dark room!

Rumor has it that a new Website called TIRELOVERS is in the works. Lamont is fine tuning it as I type.

Jack

I have enjoyed traveling on pneumatic tires all my life from Generals to Michelins to Hankooks to and probably Firestones (my Dad used to patronize the local Firestone shop back in the days of retreads) before the Ford Explorer OEM firestorm erupted. I dont have anything too bad to say about any of them if they are available and provide value that I judge works for me. I kinda do prefer a car tire to the lighter Kenda carcass on these Spyders tho' - DISCLAIMER The Kenda Cruz's I ran on the old Honda Shadow worked fine for me!!
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

I purchased a Kuhmo tire. Was told by dealer im taking it to, that they would install the new tire but motorcyle rims are not made for car tires! Really?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RIMS

Quote Originally Posted by limited14 View Post
    I purchased a Kuhmo tire. Was told by dealer im taking it to, that they would install the new tire but motorcyle rims are not made for car tires! Really?
    . He's absolutely correct ( amazing )......But He didn't bother to tell you ....the Spyder has " CAR " style rims ........this is a proven FACT not my opinion..............Motorcycle tire " BEADS " are very different than car type " beads ".......they aren't interchangeable .............Car tires a perfectly safe on the Spyder rims ....I have been using them since 08 on three different Spyders...............Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When Robmorg was having his tire replaced at Netzley's; they took the time to compare the Spyder rim, to an automotive rim.
    The area where the bead seats on them, was identical.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Got my Kuhmo tire on. How much air do I put in this tire. Dealer said they put in 28psi. I checked it yesterday and it only had 25 psi. I when we ride two up, we have close to 400# riding. So would 27 psi be too much?

Spyder Garage

Default That's what I hAve in my Kumho cold... when it warms up it gets to 30 on a hot day..

Quote Originally Posted by limited14 View Post
    Got my Kuhmo tire on. How much air do I put in this tire. Dealer said they put in 28psi. I checked it yesterday and it only had 25 psi. I when we ride two up, we have close to 400# riding. So would 27 psi be too much?
    Its fun to monitor the pressure with the FOBO monitors. That big rear tire seems to flex and heat up more according to the FOBO tire monitors, it starts at 27 for me at 75 degrees and can get to 31 psi at 105 degrees on a hot afternoon. The fronts for me start at 20 psi and only climb about 1.5 psi more and only get to around 90-95 degrees. Less flexing I guess.

Quite a few run lower pressures on the Kumho and other car tires, but I just like to stick around 26-27 psi cold.. Your call, Happy Riding!!
    Last edited by AeroPilot; 07-28-2016 at 09:27 AM. Reason: correct
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    So what is the new tire in the picture. (Maker)
    That is the General Altimax Tire.

I am running the General on my 2014RTS-SE6. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD