Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default another tire issue

I had a buddy come by the other day and he asked how my spyder was doing I told him fine, no problems. Then he asked me how my rear tire looked. I have about 6000 miles on 2014 Limited. Well to my surprise the tire is wearing in the middle, to the point I'm going to have to replace it. I check the air pressure all the time and keep it between 28-30 psi. I think this is bull#%^+. You pay over 30 grand for a bike and have to spend another $300.00+ on a new tire at 6000 miles. I've had Goldwing trikes in the past, the front tire wears quicker than the two rear tires but not at that low of mileage. I know there's been a lot others having the same problem, but it doesn't make it right. I feel either BRP or the tire manufacturer needs to fix this problem, even to the point of paying for a new tire. Sorry to be ranting but I think this just isn't right. I like my spyder but if I keep having to put tires on it all the time I'm thinking about getting rid of it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yep my first tire was replaced at 5800 miles and was a softer compound as I suspect your was too.

They have changed back and you will get more miles from the rear.

Now look up tire threads and you will see what others have posted and are using for tires... You will see this topic has been brought up many- many times.

Spyder Garage

Your rear tire should be 28 PSI. I think the excessive wear in the center may be partly due to over inflating.

You also may have gotten part of that extra soft batch of tires that many have discussed here.

I had over 14,000 miles on my rear tire when I switched to a car tire. I kept it at a constant 28 PSI at all times. The Ride-On I use helps to extend the life of the tire also.

I think I may have gotten the harder compound tire, which would help to explain the difference in life between mine and yours.

As many have stated in other threads, Kenda is an inferior tire. Time to switch to better quality.

Pam
    Last edited by Pampurrs; 07-13-2016 at 09:29 AM.

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

You actually did pretty good. We got 4400 out of ours but I knew the 14's had bad tires so it wasn't a shock.
    Last edited by GearHd; 07-13-2016 at 09:19 AM.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

How can anyone be surprised by now that Kenda rear tires on spyders wear in the middle. Put a good quality car tire on the rear and ride on.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

The Kenda on the back wear quickly but at the same time offer a poor level of grip. The Kenda's also always wear in the centre regardless of pressure. Check out some of the (many) threads on this site for suggestions on better and cheaper rear tires.

My personal favourites on my RS are Toyo Proxes T1R's, wear wise they are only a small improvement but performance/grip is great. However for an RT you're probably looking for endurance so others will be able to tell you what to go for to get that.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Mac View Post
    You did it now, you made a negative comment about the God BRP. The flaming will begin.
    Ok Sam , we get your point. Since you have sold your Spyder and now own a Honda whatever model it is, its time to bash the Honda Forum and tell them how bad Honda bikes are. If you don't have something positive to say here, then I think its time to go. I'm just getting tired of all your negitive remarks. It really has no place or value in here.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

my stock tire 2011 Rt 18,675 miles
    20160701_065135.jpg

20160701_165202.jpg
    Absorb what is useful, use no limitation as limitation

Spyder Garage

I have had two of the older, soft compound, rear tires on my Spyder and now have the harder, actually older compound that was dropped until after the 2814 mfg date. I've religiously kept 28 in the rear until the past two weeks when I dropped to 27. I immediately noticed a softer ride with just one pound less. I have replaced two tires when the center wear bars were flush as I don't want to risk hydroplaning and am, of course, very interested to see how much mileage I will get out of the current compound. I'm also prone to aggressive riding in the mountains because I bought the Spyder for fun. FISHDO! YMMV.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by limited14 View Post
    I had a buddy come by the other day and he asked how my spyder was doing I told him fine, no problems. Then he asked me how my rear tire looked. I have about 6000 miles on 2014 Limited. Well to my surprise the tire is wearing in the middle, to the point I'm going to have to replace it. I check the air pressure all the time and keep it between 28-30 psi. I think this is bull#%^+. You pay over 30 grand for a bike and have to spend another $300.00+ on a new tire at 6000 miles. I've had Goldwing trikes in the past, the front tire wears quicker than the two rear tires but not at that low of mileage. I know there's been a lot others having the same problem, but it doesn't make it right. I feel either BRP or the tire manufacturer needs to fix this problem, even to the point of paying for a new tire. Sorry to be ranting but I think this just isn't right. I like my spyder but if I keep having to put tires on it all the time I'm thinking about getting rid of it.
    Typical. There is no way to keep a 2 ply tread tire from wearing in the middle. It's a given. Weak tread bands not only allow the tire to bulge in the middle when inflated. Centrifugal force at speed also acts to overwhelm the weak tread area causing a balloon effect. To me, it's a no brainer to go to a well made, less expensive car tire.

A car tire will have a 4 ply tread area. This keeps the tread flat against the road. When riding on the Kenda at speed you're only getting maybe 3" - 4" of contact. The rest of your tire is spinning in the breeze. Not a comforting thought if you have to make an emergency stop.

As you can see, I got my monies worth out of this Toyo Proxes TR1 tire (Left). Notice how much tread I put on the pavement compared to the Kenda (Right). The Toyo maintains a flatter tread area so you get nearly 100% contact with the pavement. As you can see, not so with the Kenda. The Red area is how much contact you have with the pavement at lower speeds. The Green is all you have at freeway speeds.

I know there are Kenda fans. But I wonder if they understand the full story.

Last edited by BajaRon; 07-13-2016 at 10:08 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Heliplt View Post
    my stock tire 2011 Rt 18,675 miles
    20160701_065135.jpg

20160701_165202.jpg
    So what is the new tire in the picture. (Maker)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Typical. There is no way to keep a 2 ply tread tire from wearing in the middle. It's a given. Weak tread bands not only allow the tire to bulge in the middle when inflated. Centrifugal force at speed also acts to overwhelm the weak tread area causing a balloon effect. To me, it's a no brainer to go to a well made, less expensive car tire.

A car tire will have a 4 ply tread area. This keeps the tread flat against the road. When riding on the Kenda at speed you're only getting maybe 3" - 4" of contact. The rest of your tire is spinning in the breeze. Not a comforting thought if you have to make an emergency stop.

As you can see, I got my monies worth out of this Toyo Proxes TR1 tire (Left). Notice how much tread I put on the pavement compared to the Kenda (Right). The Toyo maintains a flatter tread area so you get nearly 100% contact with the pavement. As you can see, not so with the Kenda. The Red area is how much contact you have with the pavement at lower speeds. The Green is all you have at freeway speeds.

I know there are Kenda fans. But I wonder if they understand the full story.

How many miles on the TR1?

How many miles on the TR1? How do the handle the cooler weather?

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see....

By now I would think everyone here know of the problem they had with the Kenda in early 2014. They have since gone back to the original compound and I for one (maybe the only one) have not had a problem with them front or back. I have had two rears and two sets of fronts. I am currently on my third rear, though I want to give the Aracnid a try and it is doing well. I am now convinced that it is where (geographically) you ryde that is determining much of the wear differences...and knowing where the wear limit blocks are....jmo mind you...as for center wear, you tube drag racing and watch what happens to the rear tires... air pressure is only part of it.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

28 psi is overinflated in my opinion. I had it there and dropped to 26, especially in The FL heat coupled with the heat from the exhaust. Mine was changed at 9925 miles before I bought it due to a slice in the tire . Have put on 12,500 mi and by the looks and measurement with tire tread gauge I'm anticipating getting 19-20. Can't complain about the original fronts. At 22,500 miles now and expect I will change at 27-30 and I never go all the way to the wear bars. This doesn't mean I won't try something else. That is something I'll still have to ponder. I run the fronts at 17 psi.

Spyder Garage

And remember that the blocks you see in the center are tread support blocks not wear bars.Those are on the sides.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No MOre Tire Threads.jpg

Actually: 6,000 miles out of your OEM was about what we've all come to see.
    The new OEM tire is reportedly doing MUCH better, as do the aftermarket choices.
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 07-13-2016 at 01:16 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by limited14 View Post
    This probably pertains to your situation http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...+wear+compound

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Default TIRE MILEAGE

On my 2013 RT-S I got 10,125 mi on the original tire, I went with the Kumho and It's working out great..
    2013 Viper Red RT S-SE5 All 48 states on a Gold Wing now I'm working on getting all on a

Spyder Garage

Default TIRE

Got almost 8000 on my original tires and all three look very good
    file:///Users/thomasholberton/Desktop/VisitedStatesMap.jpg

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had over 9,000 on my factory tire, I had about 2/32" of tread left and think i could have gotten a few more thousand miles out of it. I was leaving on the trip to Utah towing the camper so I thought I had better change it, cheaper to do it at home than have to try to do it on the road.
    $98.00 for the new tire, $8.00 to dismount and remount the new tire, 1/2 hour of my time to change it.

1991 Yamaha Venture Royale, $275.00 for the tire, and $25.00 to dismount remount and balance, and 1 hour of my time to change it.

Spyder rear tire 1/3 of the cost of my other cycle tires.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

2014 RT-S here. As you have read, the OEM tires on the 2014 were of a new softer compound. Most people had to replace the tires at between four to six thousand miles. You did good.

The replacement tires have done as good or much better. I got eight thousand plus on my first tire, thirteen thousand on my second tire, and am now on the third tire. All have been OEM Kendas. My dealer will not install other tires.

Chupaca: twenty two thousand and still going on the original OEM front Kenda's.

Motorcycle tires have always been good to wear out quickly. I was lucky to get 4500 on the rear of my Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 cc.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    How many miles on the TR1? How do the handle the cooler weather?
    Here the road's are very rough surface so tires wear quickly e.g. the Kenda's used to last around 8000km (5000 miles). The Toyo T1R's have lasted around 12000km (7500 miles) so a +50% improvement. I replace tires as soon as they are close to the wear marks so could probably get more out of them.

The T1R is supposed to be a Summer tire but grip was significantly better even on very cold/wet days. Mind you I always found the Kenda was terrible on cold roads.

Spyder Garage

215/60R15 General Altimax RT43 Tire

Absorb what is useful, use no limitation as limitation

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Looks like a General Altimax RT43
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Why 215/60/15 and not the OEM size of 225/50/15.

I know they are close to the same height. But a bit narrow. Just wondering reason.

Sent on Note 5 in Taptalk
    2011 RT Limited , White