Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderHands View Post
    All I will say at this point is, SHOULD you decide to add a backrest to your F3, do NOT even consider BRP's stock backrests.

Instead, do what we and many others have done.

Go straight to http://www.smoothspyder.com and order the DUAL BACKREST for your F3.

We just got it about a month ago and I will say, it is quite the addition.

You will love it.

Okay, aside from this being a blatant advertising/pushing of the smooth spyder backrests, take out of the equation it being adjustable for either driver or passenger, what are the benefits of it over the stock BRP backrest for just the passenger; taking its "dual" purpose out of the equation? I mean, 'do NOT even consider BRP's stock backrests.
    is pretty strong language to use. So, why is it better than the stock BRP passenger backrest?

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Easy 2 Explain!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Midian View Post
    Okay, aside from this being a blatant advertising/pushing of the smooth spyder backrests, take out of the equation it being adjustable for either driver or passenger, what are the benefits of it over the stock BRP backrest for just the passenger; taking its "dual" purpose out of the equation? I mean, 'do NOT even consider BRP's stock backrests.
    is pretty strong language to use. So, why is it better than the stock BRP passenger backrest?
    This is a very easy question to answer.

First of all, one cannot omit the "DUAL" feature, because that is what makes it so nice to have on the bike. Secondly, it's a very comfortable backrest in either position. And, lastly, the price point is also another factor, especially when considering being able to use it when riding solo.

So, if not considering the DUAL feature, it's comfort and price point alone are two great reasons to make it your choice. I feel like BRP's accessory prices are simply out of range in the first place, especially when considering the accessories I've purchased through the years for all of the 2 wheel bikes I've owned. That's just my 5 cents worth. Whichever way one goes, it's a personal preference and application.

By the way, after you buy your Smoothspyder backrest, I'm sure you will be stopping by here and bragging on it as well.

Enjoy everyone!!!
    HAND'S UP:
    The only sure way of getting rid of bad habits is to create good ones.
    AND, by the way, this will not happen on auto pilot.

It's time for a YOU-turn!!!

Spyder Garage

Midian, I had deleted my previous post about the Smoothspyder backrest being kind of unsightly. Capt. Jim's picture angles on the white Spyder with saddlebags on this thread did not show how uniquely the Smoothspyder's backrest works in the driver mode. I went to his website and on the third picture in the F3 section, I found that the pad is actually artfully suspended in air with what appears to be an attractive bracket arrangement from the side view.

I just recently purchased a stock BRP driver backrest off the Internet and got it for about $45 less than the Smoothspyder unit but that is not a big deal. I do like how the BRP unit articulates forward to a flat position for a passenger to mount the pillion seat. I am not sure if the Smoothspyder backrest does that?

The Smoothspyder seems to have a lot of well thought out features for placement and adjustability that the factory unit is lacking. I went on a fairly long ride with my new BRP backrest and I found it to be extremely comfortable for my back and very much enjoyed having it. I do like the understated look of the factory unit. I think if someone is going to ride two-up intermittently, the Smoothspyder would clearly have the edge in ease of adjustability/position placement. Do not know if the Smoothspyder has an anti-theft feature like the BRP pad? As always, YMMV. Good luck on your decision.
    Last edited by Capt. Bob; 07-16-2016 at 07:57 AM.

Spyder Garage

BRP's driver and passenger backrest work great for me.

15' F3S SE6 owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Happy

Got the SMOOTHSPYDER Backrest. Easy instructions, well built, comfortable, strong. Happy camper. 2016 F3 LIMITED.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Young View Post
    Got the SMOOTHSPYDER Backrest. Easy instructions, well built, comfortable, strong. Happy camper. 2016 F3 LIMITED.
    Please let us know, does it have an anti-theft feature built-in so somebody doesn't walk with your comfy backrest?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Bob View Post
    Please let us know, does it have an anti-theft feature built-in so somebody doesn't walk with your comfy backrest?
    The Smoothspyder is Bolted to the frame via the four 6mm hex bolts holding the rear hand rails. It mounts between the hand rails and frame.
    The kit comes with 4 longer bolts & caps.

Spyder Garage

Talk to us about BRP's anti-theft feature... how does it work? What makes it theft proof?

BRP has no information on their website, nor do they include it in their little video promo piece on the website.

Thank you!!!
    HAND'S UP:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderHands View Post
    Talk to us about BRP's anti-theft feature... how does it work? What makes it theft proof?

BRP has no information on their website, nor do they include it in their little video promo piece on the website.

Thank you!!!
    The BRP backrest has about a 2" screw that goes through the lower part of the vertical steel backrest support bar horizontally and parallel to the ground and above the fender mounting hardware and below the two seat pans. The kit is supplied with a capture nut that snugs the screw up to the bar and a rubber end cap for the screw that will not allow the seatrest to be pulled up and out when the F3 rear pillion seat is in the locked down position with the key and the two bolts that hold the rear part of the front seat to the frame. The seats and backrest are locked in place. It is definitely a low tech solution but effective in not being able to remove the backrest.

Seems to me that if I owned the Smoothspyder backrest which is very nice and also fairly costly like the BRP unit, that I would maybe install some tamper-proof bolts with maybe special/exotic screw heads and a install/removal tool like I used to have on some mag wheels instead of the hex bolts that sound like they could be removed in less than a minute? Here is what I am thinking about http://www.losspreventionfasteners.c.../ultra-lok-ll/ Unfortunately, not all of our fellow citizens are as honest as we are and probably would covet the Smoothspyder backrest as much as we do. I hate to think of that Nicholas Cage movie, "Gone in 60 seconds"

Folks might want to consider getting up with the Smoothspyder manufacturer and coming up with a simple solution for theft protection. OTOH, maybe this is a solution in search of a problem?
    Last edited by Capt. Bob; 07-18-2016 at 05:06 AM.

Spyder Garage

The BRP backrest has about a 2" screw that goes through the lower part of the vertical steel backrest support bar horizontally and parallel to the ground and above the fender mounting hardware and below the two seat pans. The kit is supplied with a capture nut that snugs the screw up to the bar and a rubber end cap for the screw that will not allow the seatrest to be pulled up and out when the F3 rear pillion seat is in the locked down position with the key and the two bolts that hold the rear part of the front seat to the frame. The seats and backrest are locked in place. It is definitely a low tech solution but effective in not being able to remove the backrest.

Seems to me that if I owned the Smoothspyder backrest which is very nice and also fairly costly like the BRP unit, that I would maybe install some tamper-proof bolts with maybe special/exotic screw heads and a install/removal tool like I used to have on some mag wheels instead of the hex bolts that sound like they could be removed in less than a minute? Here is what I am thinking about http://www.losspreventionfasteners.c.../ultra-lok-ll/ Unfortunately, not all of our fellow citizens are as honest as we are and probably would covet the Smoothspyder backrest as much as we do. I hate to think of that Nicholas Cage movie, "Gone in 60 seconds"

Folks might want to consider getting up with the Smoothspyder manufacturer and coming up with a simple solution for theft protection. OTOH, maybe this is a solution in search of a problem?
    Oh OK. I think I'll just run a line from the backrest straight to the battery with a hidden switch that will deliver an electrical discouragement to any potential unwanted persons, whether sitting on it or contemplating whether to take it with them.
    HAND'S UP:

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Well I guess you all talked me into it, I never ride 2 up so only needed a drivers rest, BRP price is out of sight so that was out, went with the Utopia adjustable up & down forward & back, rolled pad and red stitching to match stock seat and whole a lot more reasonable price. Thanks for the reply's.

Spyder Garage

I purchased the BRP unit (at a discount), still pricy but it is a well built and very comfy backrest.
    To God Be The Glory!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I got lucky and got a F3 BRP driver backrest for 200.00 off Ebay. Love it. I think the Smoothrider backrest is nice but I don’t hardly ever have a second person and I don’t like the look of the Smoothrider backrest in the driver position. Blocks the passenger area for anything you might want to strap down.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    If you think you're keeping the OEM seat and wanting a backrest, look at Ultimate Seats. They make an aftermarket backrest for the F3L. They don't make a seat, just the backrest. I assume it fits the F3 Limited.

http://ultimateseats.ca/can-am-spyde...ver%20backrest
    I too, am 5'8" and am in dire need of a backrest on my F3T, as I posted in another thread yesterday on 'seats'. My debate is between the stock BRP and the Ultimate(Lamonster sells it, but with an easier-to-install bracket). $294 for the Ultimate and about $460 for the BRP. Question for me also - is one more comfortable than the other?
    Smooth Spyder Dual mode is out of the discussion for me, as my wife and I always ride together.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lastchance View Post
    Well I guess you all talked me into it, I never ride 2 up so only needed a drivers rest, BRP price is out of sight so that was out, went with the Utopia adjustable up & down forward & back, rolled pad and red stitching to match stock seat and whole a lot more reasonable price. Thanks for the reply's.
    Glad you found what you were looking for.

Best of luck with the fit, function, and overall comfort and reliability of the backrest.

Stay safe!!!
    HAND'S UP:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fritzer1 View Post
    I too, am 5'8" and am in dire need of a backrest on my F3T, as I posted in another thread yesterday on 'seats'. My debate is between the stock BRP and the Ultimate(Lamonster sells it, but with an easier-to-install bracket). $294 for the Ultimate and about $460 for the BRP. Question for me also - is one more comfortable than the other?
    Smooth Spyder Dual mode is out of the discussion for me, as my wife and I always ride together.
    Different strokes for different folks.

Good luck with your decision!!!
    HAND'S UP:

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I have both

I have both the BRP back rest on the F3L and the Ultmate on our RTL. They are both comfortable. The BRP rest is bigger and covers more of your back and may seem like it gives better support. I would think that going with the lesser price maybe the way to go. The BRP rest does have the "anti-theft" mechanism while the ultimate does not. At least it didn't whenI bought mine 3 years ago!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    I have both the BRP back rest on the F3L and the Ultmate on our RTL. They are both comfortable. The BRP rest is bigger and covers more of your back and may seem like it gives better support. I would think that going with the lesser price maybe the way to go. The BRP rest does have the "anti-theft" mechanism while the ultimate does not. At least it didn't whenI bought mine 3 years ago!
    Well, I ordered the Ultimate backrest from Lamonster (talked to Jacob) on Thursday and received it Saturday. Talk about prompt service! I installed it this evening, and look forward to the ride - hopefully, it will clear up the negative aspects of the stock seat.

Spyder Garage

Well, I ordered the Ultimate backrest from Lamonster (talked to Jacob) on Thursday and received it Saturday. Talk about prompt service! I installed it this evening, and look forward to the ride - hopefully, it will clear up the negative aspects of the stock seat.
    Glad you like it. We just placed another order yesterday for the black stitch rest as we ran out over the weekend. We feel the price is right, the quality is what you would expect from a Lamonster product and it looks great on the bike. http://www.lamonstergarage.com/lamon...red-stitching/

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Glad you like it. We just placed another order yesterday for the black stitch rest as we ran out over the weekend. We feel the price is right, the quality is what you would expect from a Lamonster product and it looks great on the bike. http://www.lamonstergarage.com/lamon...red-stitching/

Started out with smoothspyder dual mode backrest. Great at first but now wife wants to ride more often. Got the Lamonster Ultimate red stitched backrest. PROBLEM SOLVED. Thanks!!!!!