Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Hey all,

I am looking for a normal grill cover to match the one on the left side of the spyder. I would like to know if there is an engineering issue with putting a grill there or not? Since it was brought to my attention that it could be a possible problem for the Spyder. So I am putting my question here for the engineers...
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the most adaptive to change.

Spyder Garage

Default Towing Hitch vs Warranty

I am planning on buying a SE5 first week of May and put down a deposit for it. As I'm in a wheelchair (missing rt leg) I found a shop (Mels) to design a wheelchair holder (like a bike carrier) to come off a hitch at a 90 degree angle, so the chair would be parall to the rear tire on the left side.

Reading the on-line owner's manual, it says no tow hitches. Hmmm, but there are dozens of Spyders with hitches on this site and on You Tube.

So what's the deal? am I going to ruin the Tranny? Bearings? Been told it will be no problem) But Most importantly, am I voiding the warranty? Like 2 years from now something acts up and they (BRP) tells me I'm S.O.L?
    Former Navy LT, Retired Chemical Dependency Therapist, Retired Widower, "Do, or do not, there is no try"... Jedi Master Yoda.
    Proud member of AA, PGR, and a Navy Shellback!
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , matte black trim, Green/gray Charcoal? depends on the lighting

Spyder Garage

+1 for the handbrake. I bought a SM because of all the noise about the SE's problems

Spyder Garage

I have an o9 se5 with 2100 miles on it, rode it in the snow(which drives the tcs nuts) and have not had a problem yet, except for the back tire getting burnned up in that amount of miles, I have a cable hand brake and floor boards, cable handbrake sucks, hydro one should be coming out soon. I have a t8 spinal cord injury (nothing just below your chest) and am still looking for a way to get a wheelchair mounted on it.
    Also cut the plastic behind the seat so i can just pick my leg up, move it and put gas in it, have to back up at about a 20 Degree angle to pay at the pump but it can be done, if you don't mind people looking at you like you are too lazy to get off your bike to get gas.
    I am existing right now, would give anything to live again. Fix my sci and you have everything I own.

crash tester for:

www.industrialspecialty.com

http://pitbullpowersportsinc.com/pbp/home.html the best dealer on the planet, sure wish I lived closer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by irish2themax View Post
    My 2009 SE5 is in the shop having mods added before I take possession. I've seen numerous posts about recall issues but they are spread all over the place. The BRP site says there are NO product recalls at this time. I tried Googling "recalls" but cannot find a list of known issues

Before I take possession, I'd like to have all of the KNOWN problems taken care of. Is there a comprehensive list of recall issues or should I be confident that a 2009 has them corrected before shipping?

2009 POW*MIA SE5

Spyder Garage

How about working with the dealers a little more closely. My spyder has been in the shop for 2 months and counting , trying to fix the power steering that never worked in eleven thousand miles. Give Tulare Honda a call and please get this fixed.
    HAPPY OWNER

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Default Trunk

I have asked my dealer, Powersports of Central Florida, about the yellow flashing part just under the trunk lid with the BRP emblem, as the tabs on one side are not, seems to me, not catching as the design is supposed to be.
    this request, was made 4 weeks ago and I just came from the dealer Friday, 4-24-09 and the dealer stated that they have not heard from BRP concerning the flashing.

WOW ! communication is great, isn't it.

Spyder Garage

The part # is 705002550 if you mean the very front part of the trunk lid.

Quote Originally Posted by effgjamis View Post
    I have asked my dealer, Powersports of Central Florida, about the yellow flashing part just under the trunk lid with the BRP emblem, as the tabs on one side are not, seems to me, not catching as the design is supposed to be.
    this request, was made 4 weeks ago and I just came from the dealer Friday, 4-24-09 and the dealer stated that they have not heard from BRP concerning the flashing.

WOW ! communication is great, isn't it.
    Mark

Mark "Spyderman" Adams
    ------------------------------

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VIspyderman View Post
    The part # is 705002550 if you mean the very front part of the trunk lid.
    Thank you Mark..

However, the issue remains unresolved due to waranty replacement.. BRP, according to Dealer, has not responded to the flashing issue, nor squeaky brakes.

Yesterday, I checked with the dealer, and nothing, however, I asked them about the new seat, 1/2 hour later and finally by my using spyderlovers.com and getting the link from Lamonster's post, were they able to locate and finally call BRP, on the confort seat, and then they were on hold for another 1/2 hour, at least that was what I was told, and then came back, I had to order the seat immediately for mid-may, maybe availability, and I then asked, why would I have to order the immediately, why don't you get one for stock, as you keep telling me the volume of Spyders you are selling, and besides, why are you asking for Deposits of new Spyders?, As other dealers have them on the floor.. and on and on....

Well I think you get the picture.. This dealer needs to wake up, or BRP needs to wake them up, as I am going to checkout the dealer in Lakeland, a bit of ride but may be worth it..

Update: 4-29-09:
    Got a call from the Dealers Part Manager, and good to fair news.. The Flashing is on Waranty order and should be in in two or so weeks.
    The comfort seat has been placed on order by the dealer and maybe at least 4 week ( per the Parts manager) delivery time frame.
    Don't know, in reality, how this came about but I feel better now about the Dealership, Especially the Parts Manager.
    I will update this as time marches on.
    Last edited by effgjamis; 04-30-2009 at 08:02 AM. Reason: additional information

Spyder Garage

I know it has already been said; but the most glaring deficiency on this vehicle is the lack of a hand (lever) brake on the handlebar.

I understand the functional reason why this is not a necessity for the average rider.

But BRP is overlooking some huge advantages and even necessity for some if not many or even most riders.

At least make it an option and make it a retro-fit factory item.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I know it has already been said; but the most glaring deficiency on this vehicle is the lack of a hand (lever) brake on the handlebar.

I understand the functional reason why this is not a necessity for the average rider.

But BRP is overlooking some huge advantages and even necessity for some if not many or even most riders.

At least make it an option and make it a retro-fit factory item.
    http://spyder.brp.com/en-US/Share/Co...8-e60eeaee04b2

Spyder Garage

lamonster, when are these engineers gonna start answering some of these questions?

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    lamonster, when are these engineers gonna start answering some of these questions?
    They didn't finish yet to read the 5,898 threads (65,956 post)
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    They picked the five questions last week. When they will answer them?

Spyder Garage

Default 2009 gs

Front brake rotors left one is cool right one is hot and only a short distance to cause this effect what wood cause this bike has 60,000 kms.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigal55 View Post
    Front brake rotors left one is cool right one is hot and only a short distance to cause this effect what wood cause this bike has 60,000 kms.
    Gee Bigal, that’s got to be a record. 8 years between thread posts

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Dang it, what schmuck dug this out from a century ago only to have me read 10 posts before finding out its origin was prior to electricity!

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    Dang it, what schmuck dug this out from a century ago only to have me read 10 posts before finding out its origin was prior to electricity!

Joe
    . Hilarity at it's best!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    They picked the five questions last week. When they will answer them?

since it's been 8 years and nothing from BRP, maybe they need help with the big words?

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Default old thread, but still relevant

I see this is a very old thread, but there are still lots of questions that need to be addressed. I'm hoping BRP will eventually be more responsive than the smug engineers at BMW whom I've written to on multiple issues and gotten either a canned PC answer or no answer at all.

Here is my question/suggestion: when will they change over to a drive shaft to replace the belt? Drive shaft bikes have been proving the reliability of the shaft over anything other power delivery method since BMW first did it in1923. It just makes sense for smoothness, noise, ease of maintenance, and reliability.

An after market conversion kit from belt to shaft would also be high up on my wish list too.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default QUESTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    I see this is a very old thread, but there are still lots of questions that need to be addressed. I'm hoping BRP will eventually be more responsive than the smug engineers at BMW whom I've written to on multiple issues and gotten either a canned PC answer or no answer at all.

Here is my question/suggestion: when will they change over to a drive shaft to replace the belt? Drive shaft bikes have been proving the reliability of the shaft over anything other power delivery method since BMW first did it in1923. It just makes sense for smoothness, noise, ease of maintenance, and reliability.

An after market conversion kit from belt to shaft would also be high up on my wish list too.
    I am familiar with drive shaft bikes and they are by no means Perfect .... going that route is exchanging certain problems for different problems ... IMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I am familiar with drive shaft bikes and they are by no means Perfect .... going that route is exchanging certain problems for different problems ... IMHO .... Mike
    I agree they are not perfect, but after owning a couple of Hondas before putting over 380K miles on BMWs, I like them far better than a chain or the belt that is on our Spyder RT. In fact, the only problem I've ever had with the shaft on a BMW was when an R1200C had a main seal in the final drive start to leak at 112K miles. I caught it before it went dry and grenaded. Rebuilt it myself for about 120 bucks for main bearing & new seal.
    Last edited by cruisinTX; 10-19-2017 at 09:15 AM.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigal55 View Post
    The right-hand side caliper is sticking: give it a good cleaning. (Paying close attention to the condition of the pads, and the shafts that they slide on...)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default No Answers?

So was there never any response from BRP?
    2017 RT-S. Bone Stock!