Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Ask the BRP/Spyder Engineers Questions

I've been working with the guys at BRP about getting more involved with the members here on SpyderLovers. As you have seen with the chat sessions on SpyderTalk that may or may not be a good thing for BRP as we may not like their answers.

BRP has classified SpyderLovers as a more "technical savvy" group and felt that instead of a chat session we could ask the BRP Spyder engineers questions here on the board and they will look through all of them and pick out 5 questions to answer.

The first answers should come around the end of April so go ahead and start asking your questions now on this post and I'll send them the link to look at. We hope to do this by-monthly in the future.

This could be a very valuable tool to learn more about the Spyder and it's inner workings. Please be polite and professional in your questions. Thanks

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here is the reasoning for upgrade the factory shocks: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=9158
    Is this considered damage or "normal wear and tear" @ 24,000 miles?
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Very Active Member GaryTheBadger's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

What exactly is the timeline for resolving the SE5 transmission-related issues that bulletin 2009-1 does not resolve? How can Spyder owners help expedite the identification, implementation and communication of a solution?
    Enjoying now: 2015 Spyder F3 SE6, 1970 Indian MM-5A, 1972 Suzuki RV90J Rover, 2017 Indian Chieftain (wife's)
    Wish-I-had-kept-them: 2008 Spyder GS SE-5, 1967 Shelby GT500 w/Paxton supercharger, 1972 DeTomaso Pantera, 1991, 1992 & 2001 Acura NSX's, 2012 V-Star 950 Tourer, various 2-, 3- and 4-wheelers
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Very Active Member GaryTheBadger's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Would you please develop and market an optional gear & drive belt set for owners who prefer more casual freeway cruising, lower RPM and better fuel mileage instead of maximum accelleration.
    Enjoying now: 2015 Spyder F3 SE6, 1970 Indian MM-5A, 1972 Suzuki RV90J Rover, 2017 Indian Chieftain (wife's)
    Wish-I-had-kept-them: 2008 Spyder GS SE-5, 1967 Shelby GT500 w/Paxton supercharger, 1972 DeTomaso Pantera, 1991, 1992 & 2001 Acura NSX's, 2012 V-Star 950 Tourer, various 2-, 3- and 4-wheelers
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GaryTheBadger View Post
    Would you please develop and market an optional gear & drive belt set for owners who prefer more casual freeway cruising, lower RPM and better fuel mileage instead of maximum accelleration.
    +1
    and...
    1)The airbox and stock filter don't match up and has a poor seal. Dust, dirt and sand get by and into the engine. I suggest the Kens Race filter for the stock filter unless you want to warranty engines with early failure!

2)Stock mirrors don't lock down and flop back and forth...they also give a great view of my knuckles, arms and sholders.

3)Are the squeaky brakes covered by warranty or not?

4)Why does my SM5 spend so much time in Limp Mode...there's obviously a problem here, but you have yet to change the electronics to solve this problem.
    Last edited by AMTJIM; 03-19-2009 at 07:34 PM.
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I would like to know if modifications void the warranty, and if so, which specific ones.

Spyder Garage

Question: In the original service manual, the gear position sensor was noted on page 191 as one of the six direct inputs into the DPS unit.

In later 2008 versions of the service manual, the gear position sensor is not listed... but the other five remain.

What really changed, if anything, and why did it change?

ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Wheel Alignment Problems

Is it alignment problems or design problems that are causing the tires to wear so quickly?

Can the Spyder be aligned? Camber or toe-in or toe-out should be adjustable, but dealers are saying maybe not.

Maybe the answer is in the tire quality?

With certain stability and steering requirements, the Spyder seems to be purposely aligned with some "adverse" postions that perhaps are causing excessive tire wear when recommended tire inflation psi is not maintained properly. Consequently, those whom seem to over-inflate are seeing less wear, while those owners that have improper inflation seem to have really "quick" tire wear.

Perhaps an explanation why it is doubly important in the Spyder to keep tires properly if not overly inflated to reduce wear. (That sounds obvious, but if the design of the Spyder alignment actually contributes to tire wear in order to keep the VSS / Stability of the vehicle, there should be a warning or stern recommendation of such)
    SE5 Moon (delivered Aug'08), Cal-Sci windshield, Zumo 550, tank bag, backrest & luggage rack, kurykan Iso grips, and SwingWing pegs, NM's 4" risers, Russell Day Long Seat, Buschtec hitch, Alumna MCT trailer

Spyder Garage

+1, I think that would be a popular accessory. I change the sprockets on every chain drive bike I've owned for optimum cruising.

I'm also interested in hearing an engineers input on some of the steering issues that are occurring. Most directly mine has begun to occasionally lock in a specific position. I'm curious as to whether they have identified anything that may cause this.
    "I'm the only hell my mama ever raised"

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Service book

All the bikes and cars I have owned had a service book where a stamp would be inserted by the Dealer when the bike/car was serviced.

The service record of any bike/car is important and a up-to-date service record adds to the value when the bike is sold.

Is there a reason why the Spyder is not issued with a service book.

Spyder Garage

Default Me too!

I would happily pay for this option!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Please modify the software so that the ambient temperature is included in the display list when cycling through the information when using the button behind the left handgrip. Currently you must take your hand off the handlebar to push the instrument panel button to see the temperature.
    are you joking

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Please modify the software so that the ambient temperature is included in the display list when cycling through the information when using the button behind the left handgrip. Currently you must take your hand off the handlebar to push the instrument panel button to see the temperature.
    The air temperature is a constant display and does not need to be toggled.

Spyder Garage

1. Is the cooling fan switched by the ECU or a hard switch? If ECU, have you contemplated a reprogram to switch the fan in sooner? If a hard switch, how about a revision?

2. Why is the ambient air temperature and pressure sensor so slow to respond, and why does it always read so high. This makes the Spyder run very lean (most of the time).
    -Scotty
    Last edited by NancysToy; 03-19-2009 at 10:17 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Fix for Exhaust "Slip Joint"

Does BRP have any plans to improve the exhaust gaskets for the connection between the Collector and Headers? I have the stock exhaust and it appears the weight of this Large contraption is biased by the forward mounting of the muffler. The muffler needs more support on the rear to prevent the premature wear of the gaskets (BRP clls the Slip Joint Seals). My Spyder has 5400 miles and I just replaced them. See the attached picture of my right gasket of which only half remained. Dealers say that they do not see this failure and I believe this is because most Spyder owners swap the stock for lighter and smaller aftermarket louder mufflers. I do not like Loud Pipes and would like to retain the stock muffler.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

What exactly is the timeline for resolving the SE5 transmission-related issues that bulletin 2009-1 does not resolve? How can Spyder owners help expedite the identification, implementation and communication of a solution?
    BUT ADD THE 08 TO THE MIX..A LOT ARE STILL HAVING SHIFTING ISSUES, MINE INCLUDED

Spyder Garage

Good question... every time I ride I get at least one gear stuck. Had the BUDS update and oil pressure spring changed. As soon as my trailer is built, am going to park it at the dealer until something is done to fix it.
    Vidi, Vici, Veni!

Spyder Garage

Default Corosion Issues

I've had the paint on all four foot peg brackets and the rear sprocket lift and peel due to corosion. I'm curious how many others have had this issue and if BRP will be able to find a solution to prevent it from happening. I'm about to get these items replaced for the second time in 35000 km's.
    Mark

Mark "Spyderman" Adams
    ------------------------------

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Hand Brake

Many riders have a serious need for a hand brake! Those who are injured, handicapped, and older need a hand brake to safely ride the Spyder. Additionally, how is one to push the Spyder and stop it when necessary? I think that not only will a hand brake make the Spyder safer, it will also sell a lot more Spyders. Remember, BRP, the age-old economic principle: Make an effort to include the greatest number of buyers--inclusive not exclusive! This is how the greatest numbers are served and how fortunes are made.

Spyder Garage

My question... It was mentioned that BRP tested many tires while designing the Spyder. They decided to go with the Kenda tire because they faired better in their tests regarding hydroplaning, VSS, etc. What were the other brands and types of tires tested and how did they rate compared to the Kenda?

Spyder Garage

Default Slow to Repair When Problems Arrise????

I would like to know why it takes so long for our spyders to be repaired once they are in the shop for work. It seems that BRP is not willing to acknowledge there is a particular problem with a spyder. EBD Fault; ABS Fault: and DPS Fault.

Dealer connects to BUDS and then has to wait for BRP to decide the couse of action. It then takes 5 days for parts to come in and if that doesn't fix the problem the cycle is repeated.

You would think BRP would want to keep these machines on the road and would make it convient to the customer that has a problem. Why not overnite the parts to the dealer. If a problem has occured more than once and it has taken several attempts to complete the repair why peice meal the repair and keep the customer's spyder in the shop.

Customer service after the sale is just as impertant as the inital wooing of the customer. Spyder owners are your best salesmen and women. If our rydes are held up in the shop because of poor attention to the customer during their tiime of need - your reputation suffers and the spyder owner gets a bad taste in their mouth and that translates into negative feedback.
    Bill
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Gulf Coast Spyder Ryders -- look for us in the Ryder Group/Club shortcut on the homepage.

New Ryders always welcome!!!

Spyder Garage

Default front turn signals

I just found out that my front turn signals are not front runing lights. Is this normal? Or is something wrong with my spyder.
    Steve Fodor

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bumble View Post
    I just found out that my front turn signals are not front runing lights. Is this normal? Or is something wrong with my spyder.
    That is normal. No Magic Neon has their Double Play kit available if you wish to change it.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Being an SE5 owner and hearing all these stuck in gear problems, now I'm getting paranoid. I haven't had this problem and I'm worried. Is this very common? I also would like to ask BRP if they could change the gearing on these Spyders. Coming off of 3 Harleys in the past is hard for me to understand the high rev's of this engine. I keep looking for an extra gear. But, this is probably the nature of the beast. I too would like this problem addressed if this "Stuck in Gear" thingie is a problem.
    Thou shalt not criticize the Indian, until he has walked a mile in his moccasins.

Spyder Garage

Hey all,

I am looking for a normal grill cover to match the one on the left side of the spyder. I would like to know if there is an engineering issue with putting a grill there or not? Since it was brought to my attention that it could be a possible problem for the Spyder. So I am putting my question here for the engineers...
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the most adaptive to change.