Thread: transitioning

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default transitioning

Wife & I are seriously considering selling the V-Stroms and buying one Spyder. We are traveling full time in a "toy hauler" , and it would replace the golf cart, and motorcycles. I am somewhat confused by the different models & engine types. Riding 2 up in the mountains etc, what would be best? Some people have told us the 998 cc or approximately that, over heats in the mountains. Of course we want something that will do the job in all conditions, and give us the least amount of maintenance problems. We will be looking for a deal on a used one. Have the design changes each year made buying the latest model that we can afford prudent? Or will an 08 do just fine? Is the bigger engines pretty much a necessity? All useful feedback will be much appreciated!!

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see....

Could go into a long story about all the models and styles but for what you stated test ryde the 1330 RT/F3's. those will best work for you and you have the basic touring and crusing types.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Not a necessity

Quote Originally Posted by DFLOW View Post
    Wife & I are seriously considering selling the V-Stroms and buying one Spyder. We are traveling full time in a "toy hauler" , and it would replace the golf cart, and motorcycles. I am somewhat confused by the different models & engine types. Riding 2 up in the mountains etc, what would be best? Some people have told us the 998 cc or approximately that, over heats in the mountains. Of course we want something that will do the job in all conditions, and give us the least amount of maintenance problems. We will be looking for a deal on a used one. Have the design changes each year made buying the latest model that we can afford prudent? Or will an 08 do just fine? Is the bigger engines pretty much a necessity? All useful feedback will be much appreciated!!

I have a 13 RT Ltd with the 998 engine. Bought it a year ago. Just finished an 8 day ride in the mountains of VA and NC and then back to FL. I felt no need at all to have the bigger engine. Performed extremely well. Yes, you run at a higher rpm than the 1330. The maintenance on a yearly basis is a little more and depends on how much you ride. I ride about 12K miles per year or a little more. I've ridden a 1330 loaner when my bike was in service and see no reason to spend the money to move up at this point. Good luck in your analysis.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 998 VS. 1330

I've been in this game 8 yrs and have had both engines .......the 1330 wins hands down in more ways than I can count ......especially if two up riding in the mountains is in the mix.......The 1330 is Torque'y at low revs ....the 998 is going to spend a lot of time at 5500 and above ....................good luck , the last year they made the RT with a 998 was 2013 and it had major heat issues ........Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They're all pretty darn good...
    But I do love my 2014 with the 1330 engine, a bit more than I loved my 2010 with the 998.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Gas mileage

And depending upon your riding style, the 1330 should give you about a 25% gain on mileage, from 30+ to 40+.

Spyder Garage

If you plan on touring the rt s model is great for 2 up. Stay 2014 or newr and you get the 1330 and 5 speed transmission. It is morecomfortableto ride than smaller motor, cheaper on maintance and mpg. If it turns out this not for you easier to resell not as many on market as 990 plus people want to move up not down so if you buy used will get most money back and a lot faster.
    Good luck Kenn

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kbwitt View Post
    If you plan on touring the rt s model is great for 2 up. Stay 2014 or newr and you get the 1330 and 5 speed transmission. It is morecomfortableto ride than smaller motor, cheaper on maintance and mpg. If it turns out this not for you easier to resell not as many on market as 990 plus people want to move up not down so if you buy used will get most money back and a lot faster.
    Good luck Kenn
    I believe Kenn meant to say with the 1330 you get a 6 speed transmission...

Spyder Garage

I have had five various beginning in 2008 and last purchase in 2014. Four 998's and one 1330. Two RS and three RT's. One manual and four semi automatic. All of them are good, but I prefer the 1330 three cylinder. Quieter, more torque, better gas mileage, and less maintenance.

Prices are all over the spectrum now. A test ride would be recommended to see what you actually like best.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red