Spyder Garage

Default I did it! My first modification to my RS!

I installed a set of Rivco handlebar risers on my 2009 RS this afternoon! I know that this may be old hat to others that have started with a GS or RS and moved on but this bike is new to me.

I feel that I am just average at tinkering skills and I didn't have any major problems with the upgrade. Only problem was my tubing cutters broke when I started on the second handlebar. The cutter just fell apart! I had to go to the hardware store and get another one (I never try to do a project without the hardware store open)! I live in a small town and have to drive 30 miles to a bigger town on Sundays if I need something to finish a project.

I test drove the bike this evening and I can't believe how much better I like this bike with the handlebar risers on it! When I first had the bike I thought the forward lean was OK; but over time it started to bother me. I feel this is the first modification any owner of a RS needs to do to increase the enjoyment of riding this fine machine. Now, I'm going to look into highway pegs and floor boards!

Spyder Garage

Congratulations on getting that first 'farkle' done yourself, altho you do know that means it's 'no holds barred' from here on in, don't you?!?

Glad you enjoyed the result too, & not at all surprised that you are planning the next mod already!

Enjoy, only don't forget to allow some ryding time in amongst all the farkling!!

Spyder Garage

Default There you go....

But you know you have now opened the floodgates gates...farkel maintain will fall upon you now... but congratulations on a job well done and in the comfort section...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have just one question:
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Pictures

Here are the pictures of the handle bar risers. image.jpg

Spyder Garage

His - 2013 RSS SM5
    Hers - 2013 RS SE5

Proud Army Veterans!!

Spyder Garage

Next you'll be wanting the mirror extenders. Congratulations on your first upgrade
    Living life a 1/4 mile at a time.

Spyder Garage

I did some riding after the handle bar risers were installed and I had to readjust my mirrors but they seem to be OK without the mirror extensions right now. I will test some more in all types of riding conditions. If others are wondering I'm 5' 8" tall and really like the upright seating on the Spyder now!

Spyder Garage

Hi drhunt204,

Re: I did some riding after the handle bar risers were installed and I had to readjust my mirrors but they seem to be OK without the mirror extensions right now.

That is what I did & found that I do not need the mirror extns.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks to others that posted before me.

I know that my handlebar risers mod was successful because of the posts and videos that others shared earlier and their help was what gave me the confidence to try and do it. Thank you for posting your ideas and suggestions to help us newbies! It is our sharing of information that allows us all to benefit.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by drhunt204 View Post
    I did some riding after the handle bar risers were installed and I had to readjust my mirrors but they seem to be OK without the mirror extensions right now. I will test some more in all types of riding conditions. If others are wondering I'm 5' 8" tall and really like the upright seating on the Spyder now!
    I have an 09 just curious what do they cost and where did you buy them

Spyder Garage

Hi hecoon,

Re: I have an 09 just curious what do they cost and where did you buy them

A couple of options:

http://rivcoproducts.com/shop-by-mot...-s-models.html

http://www.customdynamics.com/

I cannot find them on the Custom Dynamics website, but they say that they sell them. Give'm a call.

I paid ~ $130 for my 4 1/2" version from ESI Cycle Products; who may or may not be out of business.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

• Re: I have an 09 just curious what do they cost and where did you buy them

I used the Rivco brand of handlebar risers. I bought them through Amazon. I paid $179.00 for them.

Jim

Spyder Garage

Default Zip tie locations

Older post but worth a shot for a response. I have beenaback and forth on wanting to do this job but your post and success has made want to go ahead and do this mod. I want to put the Rivco Risers on my 2012 RS SM5. I watched a video and they showed clipping one zip tie on the wires behind the plastic console above the frunk where the radiator fluid reservoir is. Is there any zip ties lower than that one you need to get at. I am just trying to figure out what all Tupperware needs to be removed for the job to make sure I get all the zip ties for the most slack in the cables as possible. I read through the Rivco instructions and it shows to remove the instrument cluster and rubber pieces below the handlebar but I figure there might be zip ties farther done the cables. Thanks.

Edit, did a few searches and found out to remove the right side panels towards the frunk and make sure to get the cable tie off way down the Tupperware there. I think I will tackle the job in stages, since it seems like a big job that can get frustrating from what I have read. One day remove the Tupperware and cut the ties. Then another day tackle the second big job of getting the Kuryaken Iso-Grips off. Then once I know I am good to go, have enough slack, have the grips off, or new grips ready If I jazz the left one up, I can remove the remove the controls, and put them on the new bar. Test everything and take a test ride. If happy and think it is a keeper, I can then cut the old bars off.
    Last edited by Squanchkava72; 01-18-2018 at 02:38 PM.