Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Another Spyder F3 Shock comment

I had the dealership where I bought my Spyder F3-S open a case with BRP. BRP said that they would not replace the shock. BRP says the shock is rated for 240lbs.

I filed a complaint with BRP. While getting the VIN # I noticed under the frunk a tag that says "MAX riders 2" and "MAX weight 438lbs". YET..BRP says shock is only rated for 240lbs!!! I would say that is FALSE information from BRP. Anyone else agree with me?

Disappointing Update: 7-12-16 at bottom
    Last edited by SpyderF3-s; 07-12-2016 at 12:50 PM. Reason: update
    God bless those who serve/served our country!

Spyder Garage

Absolutely!!!!!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Agreed! I had the same results with my dealer and BRP this week.

Very Active Member GaryTheBadger's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When I called BRP customer service, I too was told they will not warranty-replace or upgrade the stock rear shock. Some owners on Spyderlovers are getting their dealers to do so anyway. Who's paying for it?
    Enjoying now: 2015 Spyder F3 SE6, 1970 Indian MM-5A, 1972 Suzuki RV90J Rover, 2017 Indian Chieftain (wife's)
    Wish-I-had-kept-them: 2008 Spyder GS SE-5, 1967 Shelby GT500 w/Paxton supercharger, 1972 DeTomaso Pantera, 1991, 1992 & 2001 Acura NSX's, 2012 V-Star 950 Tourer, various 2-, 3- and 4-wheelers
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Spyder Garage

Here is my sticker from the 2015 F3-S

f3label.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default Legal Issue

I believe there might be cause for a class action law suit here. Any thoughts?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ca8920 View Post

You won't be winning that suit! 199kg total for cargo and passengers. Cargo includes fuel, oil, and coolant as well as bags and content. 30l of liquids is slightly less than 30kg. Down to 170kg. Rider @ 90kg down to 80kg. Passenger @ 60kg down to 20kg. Cargo in frunk and bags @ 20kg down to zero. Passenger or rider weighs in more = hmm. Disregard the liquids and one still has only 30 kg extra for passenger and rider.

Spyder Garage

Default Class action lawsuit

Quote Originally Posted by ca8920 View Post

Only lawyers win with class action lawsuits. They use you and your grievance to make money. Once upon a time, long long ago, I purchased a Remington 870 Wingmaster shotgun. There was a class action lawsuit against the manufacturer for a barrel defect. I added my name to the lawsuit and eventually got 20 cents when the case was resolved almost 2 years later. That is a true story. Count me out of any class action lawsuit. I'll get a new shock on my own one day when I determine for myself it is a problem.
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

2015 Spyder F3 SE6, black
    BRP Driver/passenger Footboards
    BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest
    Blue Ridge Windshield
    MRA X-Creen Tour, clear, clamp-on
    H4 LED Headlights
    F3 LED Fog Light Kit, LED Amber Halo Ring Kit, LED Tail Lights, F3 Rear run/brake/turn LEDs
    Easy Brackets
    Leatherworks, Inc. 120 Special Slight Angle Saddlebags
    Custom Dynamics Front Mud Flap LED lights, Street Magic Front Fender Tips, Double Feature Lens
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Very Active Member GaryTheBadger's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by deer30084 View Post
    Only lawyers win with class action lawsuits. They use you and your grievance to make money. Once upon a time, long long ago, I purchased a Remington 870 Wingmaster shotgun. There was a class action lawsuit against the manufacturer for a barrel defect. I added my name to the lawsuit and eventually got 20 cents when the case was resolved almost 2 years later. That is a true story. Count me out of any class action lawsuit. I'll get a new shock on my own one day when I determine for myself it is a problem.
    That's one way to look at it. Another is that if BRP is found guilty, they could be required to replace the shocks at their cost, exactly what some owners are seeking.
    Enjoying now: 2015 Spyder F3 SE6, 1970 Indian MM-5A, 1972 Suzuki RV90J Rover, 2017 Indian Chieftain (wife's)
    Wish-I-had-kept-them: 2008 Spyder GS SE-5, 1967 Shelby GT500 w/Paxton supercharger, 1972 DeTomaso Pantera, 1991, 1992 & 2001 Acura NSX's, 2012 V-Star 950 Tourer, various 2-, 3- and 4-wheelers
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Does the shock problem apply to the 2016 as well?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyMac View Post
    Does the shock problem apply to the 2016 as well?
    Shouldn't if you have a 2016 MY F3/F3-S. The new shock owners are asking for is the 2016 replacement. If you have a left over 2015 F3/F3-S that has only just been registered you will have the old shock.

If you look at your shock, see how much spring you can see. If not very many coils it's the 2015 one. If quite a few coils it's the 2016 one. Comparison pictures here:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ighlight=shock

Spyder Garage

Default Update from BRP

This is what I got back from BRPcares:

Some 2015 F3-S experience rear suspension issues.

We have developed different options for 240+ lbs load.

Option 1=
    Part number is 219400739.

It will be only for 2015/16 F3/F3-S models with vehicle loads above 240lbs (driver/passenger/saddlebag).

Option 2=
    Part number is 219400577.
    High quality FOX Factory series 2.0 PODIUM† RC2 Rear Shock

A great addition to increase comfort is PAC seat options : Coast-to-Coast Seat (part number 219400602) and Cannonball Seat.
    The extra padding and foam density literally add inches of absorption.

So the default shock is only rated for 240lbs. They give you options but at YOUR COST! The sticker on the F3 and the owners manual clearly state max weight of 438lbs. No where does it state you have to get larger shock to reach the max weight. Waiting for their response back.

Spyder Garage

Were they (BRP) thinking that there would only be one passenger?To put a shock on that is rated for less than two passengers is kind of dumb.

They (BRP) do some things that are so good, and then they do other things just the opposite.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have never bottomed out as a single rider but I know others do bottom out and they are only around 150 lbs and have complain to their dealer and have had the shock replaced under warranty. Maybe there were some faulty shocks out there don't know but a bike that is made for 2up should have a bigger rear shock that is rated for more then 240lbs.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderF3-s View Post
    I had the dealership where I bought my Spyder F3-S open a case with BRP. BRP said that they would not replace the shock. BRP says the shock is rated for 240lbs.

I filed a complaint with BRP. While getting the VIN # I noticed under the frunk a tag that says "MAX riders 2" and "MAX weight 438lbs". YET..BRP says shock is only rated for 240lbs!!! I would say that is FALSE information from BRP. Anyone else agree with me?
    Just changed all three of my shocks out to Elka Stage Five's as my wife and I combined are 340 lbs and bottomed out the rear shock on simple bumps. The Stage Five's are pricey but well worth the money. Currently doing the fine tuning as they have lots of adjustments. It is to bad that Can Am put such a weak rear shock on the F3....hope they resolve your issue.

Spyder Garage

Default VIN# request

I got a reply back asking for the Spyder VIN#. This leads me to believe based on BRP statement "Some 2015 F3-S experience rear suspension issues." that BRP may have had a bad batch of shocks and are tracking it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool Kindly excuse my ignorance......

.....especially on suspension/shock absorbers.
    Is it not the case that the applied load is shared between all three shock absorbers? I have the standard unit on the rear
    of my F3-S and I weigh close to 210 pounds and I have never bottomed out the rear shock when riding solo.
    If I put a similarly sized passenger on the pillion then it will bottom out over bumps. However in order to carry passengers
    who are similarly built to myself I have ordered the newer unit.
    I agree that the standard unit is somewhat under sprung and could be more resilient also it could be better with a heavier grade
    of oil in it so that the damping is increased.

Spyder Garage

Default Disappointed Response from BRP!!!

BRP Response:

Thank you for contacting BRP.

After looking at your specific file, please find below the result of our research. We discussed with the warranty and the service departments to get more information on your unit. We also looked under your serial number to verify for any pending recalls under the limited warranty information specific to your unit.

Considering the answers we received from the warranty and the service departments, and bearing in mind that the total weight indicated on page 73 of your operator's manual is 199kg (438lbs) which includes the operator, passenger, cargo,and added accessories. The weight restriction on a part is not considered a manufacturer's defect; therefore, BRP will be unable to comply with your request for assistance, in accordance with the written limitations stipulated in your Operator's Guide. This is BRP's final decision on the matter.

Our best recommendation would be to contact your local BRP dealership in order for them to assess your unit and give you a written estimate for the needed parts and labor. If you choose to get your unit fixed, your dealer will also provide an estimate on the price and timeline for the repairs.

We trust that you will understand the need to respect the conditions and limitations stipulated in the terms of the manufacturer’s limited warranty. You can refer to the warranty section of the owner's guide by using the following link:
    http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/

Should you have any other questions or comments, do not hesitate to reach us by replying to this email or call us at T + 888.272.9222.

Once again, thank you for contacting BRP,

If you consider the Spyder holds 7.2 gallons of gas at @ 50lbs, the limits the driver to about 190lbs! Guess I will have to work with the dealership to see what I can get out of them.
    Last edited by SpyderF3-s; 07-12-2016 at 01:06 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Good luck. I for one, had zero luck contacting BRP and my dealer. I'm 6'2" 275# so I'm forced to upgrade on my own dime.

Spyder Garage

When we decided to get an F3 the saleswoman talked to us about it. Notice, I said woman. She advised against doing what we wanted to do. That was to add on saddle bags, floor boards, back rests. She said to load it up like that would not be recommended as we would easily be over loaded by the time we put ourselves on it. So we moved up to the Limited to get the better suspension set up. We are pleased with the Limited, and very happy she talked to us about our purchase. And was very knowledgable. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

I don't have enough miles on my RT-S to comment on this issue regarding BRP, however, the Honda ST 1300 that we put thousands of miles on had a recommended weight of only 400 lbs. We knew we were over that before putting any luggage on. I figured out that rating was for the bike before the rear shock was adjusted. The bike felt VERY squirrelly if I didn't crank the adjustment up to near full strength! Then, we were fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default No adjustments

F3 default shock has no adjustments! You are forced to buy a "upgraded" shock.

Any lawyers out there willing to comment if I have legal grounds against the dealership for misrepresenting a vehicle that does not do what it states it can do???

Spyder Garage

Well, for better or worse, I upgraded my 2015 F3-S shock to the Occasional Two Up shock (BRP Part #219400739) at the same time that I had the service bulletin completed that involves installing a rear mounting plate that bolts atop the frame over the rear shock underneath the rider's seat.

Well, the for worse part seems to be that with my 178 pounds on the trike, the rear is just a tiny bit more "bouncy" going down the road. However, it seems to take sharper potholes more smoothly and when engaged in a turn where there are bumps, the suspension seems to absorb the bumps and turn a little bit better. It is frankly not dramatic for my weight and I typically do not ryde the Spyder two-up.

Was it worth the $255 I paid to upgrade the rear shock to the BRP two-up shock? Can't really definitively say? I do think that it has the potential to protect the frame better in big potholes and prevent the trike from bottoming out. Two-up riders will surely benefit from the 3 extra coils over a slightly beefier shock. If I was more sport-oriented than I am at my age, I probably would opt for one of the $500 fully adjustable shocks that allow for lots of different loads through different settings. However, for the money I spent, I think that the upgrade may prove its worth? Only a bit more time may tell me that
    Last edited by Capt. Bob; 07-24-2016 at 03:13 PM.

Spyder Garage

Red face

This whole thread is downright shocking.
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

2015 Spyder F3 SE6, black
    BRP Driver/passenger Footboards
    BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest
    Blue Ridge Windshield
    MRA X-Creen Tour, clear, clamp-on
    H4 LED Headlights
    F3 LED Fog Light Kit, LED Amber Halo Ring Kit, LED Tail Lights, F3 Rear run/brake/turn LEDs
    Easy Brackets
    Leatherworks, Inc. 120 Special Slight Angle Saddlebags
    Custom Dynamics Front Mud Flap LED lights, Street Magic Front Fender Tips, Double Feature Lens
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Spyder Garage

I have the F3S as well. I have to be very careful going over RR tracks, dips in the road etc. I weigh in at 230 so when I get on mine it drops considerably.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards