Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default F3 Limited Good for Touring?

I have read nearly all the threads related to this, and posted in a couple....Here is my dilemma.
    My "basketball" knees are whispering constantly in my ear these days that it is about time I moved from my Victory Vision to 3 wheels, and a Spyder is calling me.

The issue I have is that at 6'7" the RT Limited is a bit cramped. The F3 Limited with u-fit provides a better fit option for me, especially with the foot boards. However, I have read a number of posts saying that the F3 is more like your sports car...... lower, with stiffer shocks and better handling, while the RT is more like your SUV. Several say the F3 is good for a hundred or two miles, but then it gets a bit uncomfortable.

I plan on doing 500+mile days for a few days from time to time. If the F3 Limited is good for this, I will probably go with it due to fit. However, if it is not so comfortable on longer trips, I will keep researching tall seats, Seal floorboards, highway pegs etc to see if I can comfortably fit on the RT. The RT would be my preferred ride, as I have become used to the electronically adjustable screen, adjustable air shocks and great element protection of the Vision.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Pete
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you have a dealer you can test ride the 2 bikes?? Then you can make your decision..

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default F-3 AND TOURING

IMHO it can be.......It's not designed as such because in BASE form it has to least amount of storage of any Spyder made. You can increase the Base model considerably with DIY bags and or side cases etc. for not a lot of money OR you can let BRP do it for about $7,000 + ................But first take a test ride because if it doesn't fit ....try the RT etc.............Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Do you have a dealer you can test ride the 2 bikes?? Then you can make your decision..
    Thanks, Triker.....I do have a dealer with both demos, but......I can only ride the RT in its stock state which won't work as at 6'7" I can't bend my foot up enough to use the brake, and the soles of my boots will wear out if I put both feet down to stop . The F3 I can only ride for a couple of hours, but he is setting it up at the tallest settings. I just don't know how it will work over a couple of days.....at $40k plus I like to be reasonably sure of my choice up front.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks Blueknight....I'm not looking at the base F3 but the Limited, which comes with bags. Storage isn't the issue. Comfort over reasonable distances is the main concern.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi

jeff, my husband, has the f3 and no problem comfort-wise on long trips. Eg Newcastle to Melbourne was a breeze - he said it was so much more comfy than his two wheels. All he's done is throw a sheepskin on the seat. I know that I can do way more klicks on my st than I ever could on my previous 2 wheels. Oh and he has a windscreen, too. And the smoothspyder backrest, which he loves, and which switches to a pillion backrest for the grandson. He reckons the backrest really adds to the comfort on long trips. I don't think you'll be disappointed in the comfort the f3 range offers.

the f3 saves a few bucks compared with the rt. Check out ex-demos too.
    Last edited by loisk; 07-08-2016 at 01:27 AM.

Spyder Garage

My last bike prior to going to three wheels was also a Victory Vision. You can't beat the leg room on the Vision, it's like riding a Barkalounger! Before the Vision, I rode a Goldwing, which really cramps up the legs. Now I'm on the Spyder RT and I must admit, the legroom leaves much to be desired. I'm only 5'8" so my dilemna is nowhere near what you have to deal with. I've sat on, but never actually ridden the F3 and can attest that it does provide better leg room than the RT.

Good luck with your decision. As others have suggested, you should do a demo on both the RT and the F3.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

Thanks Lois. That's just what I was after. I would certainly be getting a good seat, a backrest and a tall screen if I go with the F3 Limited. I needed to get them on the Vision and it turned it from a 300 mile a day ride to a 600 mile a day ride. Unfortunately, as I mentioned earlier, I can't take the RT for a test ride as they don't have one with a "tall" seat and highway pegs, so I couldn't operate the brake. That's why I'm hunting for info on here.
    Pete

Spyder Garage

Thanks Pam......if I was riding the RT and using highway pegs and braking with my heel, I assume I would have to get the vent block off plates to avoid cooking my ankles?
    Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 07-08-2016 at 02:06 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Thanks Pam......if I was riding the RT and using highway pegs and braking with my heel, I assume I would have to get the vent block off plates to avoid cooking my ankles?
    Pete
    I just recently installed the blockoff myself, and yes it does keep my right foot from cooking.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

I'll throw my 2 cents in...

The F3 will probably be the best option at 6'-7". The RT even with the comfort or tall boy seat options only give you a little more room. I'm 6'-1" and have the tall boy by Ultimate Seats, along with the highway pegs on my RT-S SM6 and have just enough room not to feel overly cramped. I can't imagine you'd feel comfy being that tall on my RT-S. In the long run, overall ride comfort is subjective... I'm having to stop often just because my body doesn't like 200 miles in one stretch. I have to get off the canam every 120 miles give or take, to stretch, move around, etc. By the way, I never get a cooked foot with my 2014... The fans kick in before that occurs.

When I test rode a F3, I was fairly happy with the leg room and overall ergonomics. And I know it wasn't on the furthest setting as it relates to pegs. The model I test rode was a SE6 so I didn't have to worry about clutch/shifting, but felt if anyone taller was on this ride, they could easily fit. My vote is for you to take down the F3 Limited, and have some items upgraded for comfort, and just enjoy it. Check out ultimate seats for a much better option on seat comfort. F4 for the wind screen switch and smooth spyder for the driver's back rest. You won't look back on your decision.
    Brian Kay - Kennesaw, GA
    2014 RT-S SM6 Pearl White (KHAOS)
    TricLED 3rd and 4th Brake Lights - TricLED Turn Signals - TricLED Side Fender Lights - Airhawk R Seat Pad - Smoothspyder Belt Tensioner - JT's Dash Mount - JT's USB and 12v Power Unit - Stebel 139dB Multi Sound Horn - Lamonster NBV Highway Pegs - BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors - Cal-Sci Stock Extra Wide Windshield - Baja Ron Sway Bar - WrapMySpyder 1330 Triple decals - Ultimate Tallboy Seat - BRP Sat Radio - ELKA Stage 2 Front Shocks

Spyder Garage

I have read nearly all the threads related to this, and posted in a couple....Here is my dilemma.
    My "basketball" knees are whispering constantly in my ear these days that it is about time I moved from my Victory Vision to 3 wheels, and a Spyder is calling me.

The issue I have is that at 6'7" the RT Limited is a bit cramped. The F3 Limited with u-fit provides a better fit option for me, especially with the foot boards. However, I have read a number of posts saying that the F3 is more like your sports car...... lower, with stiffer shocks and better handling, while the RT is more like your SUV. Several say the F3 is good for a hundred or two miles, but then it gets a bit uncomfortable.

I plan on doing 500+mile days for a few days from time to time. If the F3 Limited is good for this, I will probably go with it due to fit. However, if it is not so comfortable on longer trips, I will keep researching tall seats, Seal floorboards, highway pegs etc to see if I can comfortably fit on the RT. The RT would be my preferred ride, as I have become used to the electronically adjustable screen, adjustable air shocks and great element protection of the Vision.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Pete
    This is more an observation than assistance. At 6'7" you are in the 99+ %ile of the population! There aren't many, if any, 2 or 3 wheeled vehicles made with you in mind! Compromise is always going to be an issue. Stop every 2 hours or less and stretch. I would think that the U-fit will be of greater assistance to you, and even then some further modifications may be necessary and useful.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Given your stature, I'd say the F3T or Ltd would fit you better. My only issue with my F3T has been getting a sore/numb butt on all day rydes. I recently replaced the stock seats with Mustang seats and did 120 miles yesterday and had no discomfort. I think that will take care of the seat issue for me.

But you give up some storage, compared to the RT. There are lots of aftermarket things you can add to an RT to make it more comfortable for a tall ryder, but I don't know if you'd like it as much as the F3 model. On my F3T, I've been learning how to travel with less, and often pull my camper trailer, on which I can haul some stuff. But I'm heading out Sunday for 10 days, and not taking the trailer. I just have to remember to take what I need, and then stop packing!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default F3 Limited Good for Touring.

I think the F3T is an excellent touring bike. My wife has the F3S. I have put 720 mile in a day on this bike no problem. I will be buying a F3T this or next month for my touring ride to replace my 2 wheeler.

Spyder Garage

Default used to have an RT Limited now have F3-S

I have actually found that I am more comfortable on the F3 (stock seat) than I was on the RT Limited (stock seat). That said, my typical longest one-day ride is about 400 miles, but I've done many of them in a row and have no complaints about the F3 as a touring machine.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Just added the Spyderrenovations rear storage rack to my F3Limited. Mounts to the stock trailer hitch. Easy install. Tom
    Last edited by Tango; 07-08-2016 at 11:22 AM.
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

Spyder Garage

Default Many Thanks

Thanks very much to all for the feedback, it has been invaluable.

My biggest concern was buffeting on long trips, after being spoilt with the Vision's electronic screen and lowers, but it looks like the 32" F4 addresses that for long trips, and with the savings of the F3 over the RT, I can buy a shorter screen for regular use. It also means I can upgrade the seat to Mustang or Daylong (can't see an Ultimate seat for the F3 Limited on their site), buy a backrest and other important farkles. Storage is not such an issue as my long trips are usually solo and I have several rear seat bags.

It looks like the shocks are up to scratch on the new F3 limited, but I'll keep some cash aside in case I have to upgrade at a later date. The same applies to an aftermarket sway bar, which is a real hot topic, I see.....

With all this in hand, I am looking forward to Tuesday's test ride.

Any other useful accessories that I should be looking at getting at purchase time ?

Pete

Spyder Garage

Thanks very much to all for the feedback, it has been invaluable.

My biggest concern was buffeting on long trips, after being spoilt with the Vision's electronic screen and lowers, but it looks like the 32" F4 addresses that for long trips, and with the savings of the F3 over the RT, I can buy a shorter screen for regular use. It also means I can upgrade the seat to Mustang or Daylong (can't see an Ultimate seat for the F3 Limited on their site), buy a backrest and other important farkles. Storage is not such an issue as my long trips are usually solo and I have several rear seat bags.

It looks like the shocks are up to scratch on the new F3 limited, but I'll keep some cash aside in case I have to upgrade at a later date. The same applies to an aftermarket sway bar, which is a real hot topic, I see.....

With all this in hand, I am looking forward to Tuesday's test ride.

Any other useful accessories that I should be looking at getting at purchase time ?

Pete
    as long as you're shopping, I'll help you spend your money
    I'd recommend front fender LEDs with the turn-signal add-on. That way with an easy glance at your fender, you can tell if your turn signal is still going. Also helps drivers behind you see how wide you really are at night.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vondalyn View Post
    as long as you're shopping, I'll help you spend your money
    I'd recommend front fender LEDs with the turn-signal add-on.
    Hahaha.....thanks Vondalyn......"my credit card was recently stolen, but I haven't reported it yet....the thief spends less than my wife !!!" Who sells the front fender LEDs?
    Pete

Spyder Garage

Sorry for misleading you on the ultimate seat comment...I just assumed that ultimate made one for the F3! Guess not, but they are usually patrolling the SL site, so they'll probably read this and say wtf, we are losing some business!!!

Good luck with your F3... I'll sit back and enjoy my RT
    Brian Kay - Kennesaw, GA
    2014 RT-S SM6 Pearl White (KHAOS)
    TricLED 3rd and 4th Brake Lights - TricLED Turn Signals - TricLED Side Fender Lights - Airhawk R Seat Pad - Smoothspyder Belt Tensioner - JT's Dash Mount - JT's USB and 12v Power Unit - Stebel 139dB Multi Sound Horn - Lamonster NBV Highway Pegs - BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors - Cal-Sci Stock Extra Wide Windshield - Baja Ron Sway Bar - WrapMySpyder 1330 Triple decals - Ultimate Tallboy Seat - BRP Sat Radio - ELKA Stage 2 Front Shocks

Spyder Garage

Hahaha.....thanks Vondalyn......"my credit card was recently stolen, but I haven't reported it yet....the thief spends less than my wife !!!" Who sells the front fender LEDs?
    Pete
    Mine was just used for hotel stays. Wish I were with whomever it was. Waiting for new card to arrive. Custom Dynamics and TRICLED sell the lights. Tom

Spyder Garage

Joan and I have done two 4000+ mile trips this year and we're taking off for a 3000+ trip in the morning. Love the F3T or F3L for touring.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Now I see this! I was looking for a rear rack to mount to the hitch and my search came up empty. Ya well! I ordered a Shadow trailer from Mini Trailers USA. Supposed to be here Tuesday and we leave on a 5 or 6 day road trip the following Sunday. Keeping my fingers crossed that it gets here on time.

To the OP I think with you stature your only option is the F3. I just did the longest ride last week end since I bought the F3. We did 400 miles in 1 day and I was good. But I am only 5' 11".
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kay View Post
    Sorry for misleading you on the ultimate seat comment...I just assumed that ultimate made one for the F3! Guess not, but they are usually patrolling the SL site, so they'll probably read this and say wtf, we are losing some business!!!

Good luck with your F3... I'll sit back and enjoy my RT
    I appreciated the comment re the Ultimate, Brian.....it didn't mislead me at all, but gave me another research site......absolutely no need for any kind of apology......thanks.
    Pete