Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Actually: it'll be way better than you could imagine...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by derrill View Post
    Put a car tire on the rear 6 ply and it stopped the roll over feeling on the back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    What car tire did you put on your Spyder and why?
    Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Default Getting used to the Spyder

I probably had close to 1000 miles before the Spyder ride smoothed out for me. Prior to that, I also felt the steering and handling was shaky. Once I made a conscious effort to gently steer with both hands, everything smoothed out and clicked into place. I agree with one comment where he said you should be able to steer with one finger. That is true once the early kinks are gone. And I can report lots of aggressive fun in the curves, now. I am keeping up with the big boys in my group and the Spyder feels great.

Spyder Garage

Since you bought this bike in May was there not a Safty insp done on it.Who ever did the safty should be responsible for the ball joints.Good luck on getting your ride back and sure hope you enjoy it.
    Bill
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended

Spyder Garage

3000 miles of what have i done!?

I was afraid to change radio stations,
    Cruise control? What a joke, may never be able to use it etc.
    Wandered allover the road. Skittish,
    Had to slow way down for most any action.

And i am a life long rider of many machines.

But i knew in my gut it must be me

3 more thousand mi

Now i do not know where that bike went.-----

Oh wait its the same bike!
    I found out how to ride it🚲

This machine is awesome and finally becoming second nature like all my other rides!

Embarrassing to even say these things as a 48 year rider but if it helps another i wi step up to the plate

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by twisties View Post
    What car tire did you put on your Spyder and why?
    Thanks!
    I would have to go look at name of tire. It don't matter whose tire you use as long as it is good for riding in the rain. I went with a 205-60-15. It is a 6 ply tire and controls the roll over feeling that came with the spider. Was getting between 6000 and 8000 miles on the tires that dealer sells. The car tire got 22,000 miles before changing. I also use ride-on in my tires. Ride-on balances the tires as well as sealing nails and screws that makes get get in them. I continue to use the front tires from dealer because I've not had any problems with them and get great mileage from them. Also my speedometer is only 1 mile per hour off instead of 3 miles per hour.

Spyder Garage

I put a Yokahama s drive on our machine
    Amazon.com 1 day delivery
    Great price

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Feedback

Let us know what you think when you get it back. I've got a feeling that happiness will set in.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by derrill View Post
    I would have to go look at name of tire. It don't matter whose tire you use as long as it is good for riding in the rain. I went with a 205-60-15. It is a 6 ply tire and controls the roll over feeling that came with the spider. Was getting between 6000 and 8000 miles on the tires that dealer sells. The car tire got 22,000 miles before changing. I also use ride-on in my tires. Ride-on balances the tires as well as sealing nails and screws that makes get get in them. I continue to use the front tires from dealer because I've not had any problems with them and get great mileage from them. Also my speedometer is only 1 mile per hour off instead of 3 miles per hour.

Hooorraayyy for you to say this derril. I go to my local tire shop and ask him "what do you have that will fit this". He put something on it,I don't know what but it has over 12K and still looks new. Did the same with the fronts. These ride great roll nice steer really nice and have enough sidewall strength to not roll in a hard turn. They fill the front fender really well and look great and best of all they were cheap.

If you live in a small rural town you get to know your local merchants and they know you and your machines. Brody at Bros Tires is a racer and a gear head and was excited to get to fool with the Spyder a little. He understands the forces that a 3 track vehicle puts on it's tires and picked some good tires for me. They're not brand name,but they are round and black and work. If you don't like what you have for tires and don't want to do the internet thing get to know your local tire people. You might be surprised what they can come up and how much they know or want to know about your machine. For me,even though I do most of my own work, having people just down the road a little that I can talk to about what is going on is a real blessing.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default "Nope, there's nothing wrong here."

So, I got a call from the dealer today. I said, look, if the wrench can't find the problem, I'll come down and show him. I jumped in my truck and was there 20 minutes later.
    The mechanic started to explain to me how the Spyder is different, how an off-camber road can cause problems, how 95% of what is on the forums is nonsense, how laser aligning off the rear wheel is wrong, blah blah blah.
    His test ride went just A-OK, too.

He put the bike up on blocks and showed me how everything is nice and smooth, and the ball joints are just fine. I couldn't find the clunk, either, and that just embarrassed me.
    He took it off of the blocks, and tried to politely show me the door because he already used his allotment of time on the job, but I can be rather thick, so I kept messing with the tire.

BINGO! I was able to duplicate the problem by pushing and pulling hard on the top of the tire when it was on the ground. He felt it, too, and we could both feel it in the joints themselves. I figure at least .010" (0.254mm) of play in the joint.

There isn't any acceptance criteria for the joint; it's either good or bad. I have always allowed zero play in ball joints, and that much play makes it bad in my book. He didn't think it was bad, but hey, let's keep the customer happy even if he is wrong.

The alignment tolerance is +/- 0.5mm, but I don't know where that is measured. If it is measured right at the joint, the play is eating up half of it before you even get started. If it is measured elsewhere, all of the tolerance is long gone, and the alignment is in the weeds.

I put my massively powerful persuasion powers into turbo mode, and he gradually came around and said they would get the warranty company to cover the replacement and their full-on 3 1/2 hour alignment.

Actually, I was just very nice and reasonable, just like any ticked-off Quality Engineer should be! You wanna talk Quality? Let's talk Quality! heh heh heh.

I should hear back today or Monday.
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

2nd Spyder: Pearl White 2016 Spyder RT Limited, purchased December 18, 2016 with 1 mile
    First Spyder: Pearl White 2012 Spyder RT Limited, gone to a good home

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

WOW you need a new dealer, ever see a car or truck looking like it's going down the road a bit sideways that's what happens when the front wheels aren't aligned with the rear, don't think I would let him align mine

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I feel bad that they tried to give you "The Bum's Rush"!
    But I'm happy to hear that your powers of persuasion were too powerful for them!
    Now, if you can get it Laser-aligned...

Spyder Garage

An informed customer is always bad news for an uninformed technician.
    Glad you were able to persuade him and get the issue covered under warranty. We are all anxious to see how your ryde changes when you get your back in operation. Please let us know
    Regards,
    BitSlayer

2015 Spyder RT Limited - Perl White
    - Having fun with my knees in the breeze

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Good for you that you were persistent and got something done. I'm sure you will ask to see the old parts to ensure he actually did what he promised.
    Sounds to me like he was trying the old "BS baffles brains" approach and you didn't bite.

Hope it all works out for you.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

Default I really want to like this bike

As all of the above, HANG IN THERE

I collected my 2014RT from the Paris dealership back in February, as I sat down I though how will I ever get comfortable, within 5 miles I thought what heap of junk have I bought here, my hips ache, my knees hurt and my bank balance is depleted, I just don't fit this bike, I percivered, bought an airhawk seat cusion, fitted running boards, and highway plates and slogged on for over 1000 miles, now I'm used to it. My girlfriend sat on the back, as I drove off she thought come back Suzuki Burgman all is forgiven, after a few hours she wouldn't swap it for anything.
    JUST GIVE IT TIME and relax when you ride and best of all DON'T think about it , just ride
    I like it now and enjoying it.
    Hope you get to like it, you think just 'cos it was so expensive it's bound to be good, oh no, you shell out big bucks then have to invest more to make the bike fit you.
    2014 RT Std
    Floor and Highway Boards
    50$ GPS connected to oem loom
    Trunk & Frunk Liners and lights
    Frunk and dashboard power outlets
    Front supension LEDS
    Cup holders
    Glovebox light
    Turn signal LEDs in mirrors
    12 volt coffee maker
    Passenger hangrip muffs
    Ignition lock light
    Windscreen wiper/ baguette holder

If I wasn't so cleverI wouldn't need to be so good looking.
    2014 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Angry And we're walking, walking...

I really hope this downtime isn't typical. My bike's been sitting in the shop for 2 1/2 weeks and they've done squat. Parts hadn't even been ordered as of last Friday. I'll be doing my own wrenching from now on, unless BUDS is required or it's going to cost me more than 25 bucks, in which case another mechanic will be getting my business.

We need a walking in circles with an evil cloud overhead emoji!
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

2nd Spyder: Pearl White 2016 Spyder RT Limited, purchased December 18, 2016 with 1 mile

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It sounds as if you've got a "Dealership Problem"...
    I'm sorry to hear that they're dragging this out.

Spyder Garage

Default Just got word

The warranty company just approved the ball joint replacements. Their risk management dept had to approve it, and I guess they decided that their exposure to my risk was too much!

Should have the bike back late next week. They are going to do the BRP alignment procedure, after which I will get it laser aligned. Any bets as to how off it might be?
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Things ar FINALLY moving forward again!
    How much will their "crack" alignment be off? I'm guessing 3/8" on one side, and 7/16" on the other!
    (What do I win, if I'm right? )

Spyder Garage

Just braggin' rights, Bob!
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'll take 'em!

Spyder Garage

Default Still no bike

At least I can amuse myself. My SmoothSpyder belt tensioner came today. I think I'll sit in the corner and spin the wheel and make vroom vroom sounds...
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

Spyder Garage

Cool I really like this bike!

2K miles have gone under the tires, the needed repairs and BRP alignment have been done, and now my RT and I are getting to be friends. I went on a 150 mile ride on some of San Diego County's twistiest roads this weekend, and was able to keep up with the group. There were a couple of oh cr*p! moments when I misjudged the curve and had to slow down quick, but experience is a pretty good teacher. The new EBC pads and rotors helped a lot!

A couple of mechanical issues popped up. One was a front end clunk whenever the weight shifted side to side; I think a sway bar link has come loose and needs to be tightened up. The other, which could very well be related to the first, was a rapid l-r-l-r oscillation of the front end when I hit a patch of bad asphalt. It felt like the road was washboarded. It happened a couple of times.

I need to get it up on ramps and check things out before I ride it again, but I don't expect to find anything major. I'll be converting the oil to Amsoil at the same time.

I'm considering new shocks on the front, after I have the ROLO alignment done. Probably after Christmas.
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

with you, regarding your diagnosis concerning the front-end clunk...

And I'm glad to hear that you're happily "Spinnin' & Grinnin'..."

biker.jpg

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Check it

Most likely one of the Heim (sp) links on the sway bar broke. This could be a bad thing and I would get under there and take a look. That happened on out 13 RT. Remember those things are made of plastic!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.