Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default I really want to like this bike...

I've owned it for 5 1/2 weeks, and ridden it for 800 miles, and now I'm starting to wonder if it's me or the machine.
    It just feels squirrely. I've read a bazillion posts, and I try to stay relaxed and do the things that you folks with much more experience have shared, but riding this thing is wearing me out. All I want is a nice, well-behaved machine that doesn't continually scare me like this one does.
    It is very sensitive to roadway conditions and wind turbulence. Above 45 mph, I feel like I am fighting to stay in my lane as it darts about. Rain grooves and patched asphalt especially cause trouble, but smooth is not trouble-free.
    I installed the Baja Ron swaybar and links, and I'm trying to be objective, but I can't say for sure that they helped. I've methodically changed the tire pressures in order to find the optimal settings and have settled into 18.5 psi in front and 28 psi in the rear.
    I haven't had it aligned yet; wish someone in Escondido would buy the equipment so I don't have to drive 100 miles to get it done.
    The drive belt starts slapping time at 5800 rpm, unless I'm going uphill and then it starts earlier. I checked the tension with the little click gauge, and it's at 160 lbs. A belt tensioner is needed.

Maybe it's fine. I don't have a frame of reference to compare it to; I should probably take a new one out for a ride to get my head calibrated.

I think my biggest fear (other than safety) is finding out that I bought someone else's problems and it's just worn out and will take a lot of $$ to make right.
    Last edited by Stumpy6Guns; 07-06-2016 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Added rear tire pressure
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

2nd Spyder: Pearl White 2016 Spyder RT Limited, purchased December 18, 2016 with 1 mile
    First Spyder: Pearl White 2012 Spyder RT Limited, gone to a good home

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default You'll come around

Don't know your full situation. I came off of a HD Ultra Classic and it took me 4-500 miles to get comfortable. I bought a 2013 RT Ltd with 9900 miles. Definitely knew I needed a backrest so I bought one and put it on. Put on grip covers to increase the grip size and relaxed my grip. Didn't really have to do anything else. Just had to put on the miles and get used to how to lean my body in corners and make sure I came into the corners right. Stay. Off the brake. I recently did 574 miles of twists and turns in VA and NC with no problem and I have not upgraded my sway bar or anything and yes I was plenty aggressive in those twists and turns. The 2 others with me were on Harley's and thought they could shake me. NOT!!! I do think you need the belt tension adjusted. By the way, that ride was my 1 year anniversary ride on the Spyder and my 71st birthday.

Spyder Garage

Default new to 3 wheels

I may take 1,000 miles on the Spyder to get use to it, also you may want to check your tire pressure!

Spyder Garage

My 2012 has 21,721 miles on it. My closest laser alignment is in Las Vegas about 350 mi. So I'll trade you. I gave my local tire shop the alignment specs and he did a regular alignment. I could tell a difference,tho to be honest I didn't think I had a problem before, until I saw the front tires wearing funny. I would remember that somebody enjoyed that Spyder for over 3 years and 20,000+ miles. No it's not worn out, It just needs some fiddling. Is it a dealer that is 100 miles away? If so ride it over and have them check it out for you, front end and belt tension. If there is a problem, you'll find out what it is and what it will cost to fix.

I love my Spyder. It only had 8500 on it when I brought it home a years ago. Cynthia(my wife ) and I went to Bryce on Monday we had a great trip no problems and a nice ride. I now have 21000+ miles after Sturgis San Diego and Beartooth Pass/Cody under the tires and Charlotte has performed beautifully.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I added my Spyder to the toy inventory to cover ground faster than on a pedal power reverse trike, aka a tadpole trike, so I had long since learned the criticality of a light touch on the bars routine. If you don't relax your grip every movement of your body will be imparted directly to the bars. You're half way to smooth riding with Ron's bar and IMO the laser alignment is a must. Riding the 100 miles to get it done is the best investment you can make at this point and you'll see the difference immediately on the trip home. Sorry, can't advise on the belt tension. Stick with it; it will become fun.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You said you settled on 18.5 psi, please tell me that that is your front tire pressure only and not your rear. The rear should be at 28 +/- 2

Come on over to Las Vegas and we will get you Squared Away as it sounds like that is the one thing you haven't done that you should. If you are not able to control your Spyder with one finger then it isn't handling properly.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I've put a little over 8,000 miles on mine and still can't say I'm friends with it. At low speed I really like it and it doesn't want to take a nap at stops. above 35-40 I really miss my wing and have considered going back that way. I have done the sway bar, laser alignment. spring spacers and a belt tensioner with some measure of success . I think I corner about as fast as on the wing but it takes a hell of a lot more effort and is not as stable. This last weekend I bumped the front tire pressure to 25 and it really helped take some of the flex out of those soft 1 ply sidewalls. I may bump it a couple more as the tires are rated to 30 psi. I may be asking to much but some folks say theirs handle like they are on rails. Mine does not. You will get lots of pointers so pick what sounds real and discount the rest. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Ride the 100 miles and get it laser aligned, the ride back will convince you that you made a great move.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You have to remember that there is a distinct "learning curve", that comes with these bikes. If you had never ridden a "leaner": you'd find it much easier to adapt to them.
    A looser grip on the bars, and some more time in the saddle...
    Patience...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I'll be leaving for home in an hour or so, and I'll work on my grip. My commute is 25 miles each way, with a great mix of surface streets, freeway, and 9 miles of twisties just before I see my gate.
    Thanks for the encouragement!
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

2nd Spyder: Pearl White 2016 Spyder RT Limited, purchased December 18, 2016 with 1 mile
    First Spyder: Pearl White 2012 Spyder RT Limited, gone to a good home

Spyder Garage

After I bought my first RT I thought I had made the biggest mistake of my life.
    All I thought it was good for was an Interstate Cruiser.

Taking it around the curvier roads scarred the hell out of me.

At about 2k I started to understand it and my old muscle memory began to subside.

I can't discount you may have a hardware problem, but I sort of doubt it.

I hope you give the Spyder a chance.

The Power of Logic.
    Start Thinking.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy6Guns View Post
    I'll be leaving for home in an hour or so, and I'll work on my grip. My commute is 25 miles each way, with a great mix of surface streets, freeway, and 9 miles of twisties just before I see my gate.
    Thanks for the encouragement!
    It sounds as if you've got the PERFECT commute...

Take the long way home!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I had to look up Valley Center CA

I thought I knew California good but Valley Center was a new one on me...
    If you want some real info on the spyder and you and NO I dont want to sell
    you anything. Give me a call I am in Linden, CA 45 miles south of Sacramento
    209-887-3283 call most any time
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy6Guns View Post
    I've owned it for 5 1/2 weeks, and ridden it for 800 miles, and now I'm starting to wonder if it's me or the machine.
    It just feels squirrely. I've read a bazillion posts, and I try to stay relaxed and do the things that you folks with much more experience have shared, but riding this thing is wearing me out. All I want is a nice, well-behaved machine that doesn't continually scare me like this one does.
    It is very sensitive to roadway conditions and wind turbulence. Above 45 mph, I feel like I am fighting to stay in my lane as it darts about. Rain grooves and patched asphalt especially cause trouble, but smooth is not trouble-free.
    I installed the Baja Ron swaybar and links, and I'm trying to be objective, but I can't say for sure that they helped. I've methodically changed the tire pressures in order to find the optimal settings and have settled into 18.5 psi in front and 28 psi in the rear.
    I haven't had it aligned yet; wish someone in Escondido would buy the equipment so I don't have to drive 100 miles to get it done.
    The drive belt starts slapping time at 5800 rpm, unless I'm going uphill and then it starts earlier. I checked the tension with the little click gauge, and it's at 160 lbs. A belt tensioner is needed.

Maybe it's fine. I don't have a frame of reference to compare it to; I should probably take a new one out for a ride to get my head calibrated.

I think my biggest fear (other than safety) is finding out that I bought someone else's problems and it's just worn out and will take a lot of $$ to make right.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I also have a 2012 RTL and as mentioned above it took some miles to feel comfortable, but also the two things I did that greatly improved my ride was Elka shocks and BajaRon Bar. And of course a laser alignment. After that it was a charm to ride.
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Ride the 100 miles and get it laser aligned, the ride back will convince you that you made a great move.

Cruzr Joe
    and if anything else is amiss with your Spyder, Joe and Ann will find it.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

Default I feel your pain

I purchased a new 2015 ST Limited 2 months ago. Before picking it up, I told the dealer I had read that these bikes come from the factory with alignment problems and I expected mine to be right on. They assured me that alignment would be no problem.

They were wrong!! The bike took tons of input just keeping it straight - going down the highway. Sweeping right hand turns were down right dangerous as the bike would lurch through the turn.

I got the bike lazer aligned the next day at another Can-Am dealer for $150. Not covered by warranty as dealer said it was "within spec".

It may have been within spec but it was not properly aligned!

My ride hone after getting lazered was a DREAM. Handled like it should given that it's brand new.

I've put on 4300 miles in the last 2 months and I love it.

I just dont love getting screwed by a dealer when they were notified of the problem and committed to deliver the bike in alignment.

There, I got it off my chest. Thanks for letting me vent.

Bottom line is this: YOU MUST GET LAZER ALIGNMENT or you should probably sell your bike.

Spyder Garage

Hang in there....it only gets better!
    2016 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Default Really...

Have you had someone else ryde your beast...?? that would be a real fast way of telling where your at. Someone other that a dealer type. Squared Away would be good for you. See if Ann and Joe will put a slot in the garage so you can pay for the trip.... or you can get in touch with Lou at Pirate Powerspoets in Riverside, best wrench around there parts...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Cheap Learning

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderUSA View Post
    I purchased a new 2015 ST Limited 2 months ago. Before picking it up, I told the dealer I had read that these bikes come from the factory with alignment problems and I expected mine to be right on. They assured me that alignment would be no problem.

They were wrong!! The bike took tons of input just keeping it straight - going down the highway. Sweeping right hand turns were down right dangerous as the bike would lurch through the turn.

I got the bike lazer aligned the next day at another Can-Am dealer for $150. Not covered by warranty as dealer said it was "within spec".

It may have been within spec but it was not properly aligned!

My ride hone after getting lazered was a DREAM. Handled like it should given that it's brand new.

I've put on 4300 miles in the last 2 months and I love it.

I just dont love getting screwed by a dealer when they were notified of the problem and committed to deliver the bike in alignment.

There, I got it off my chest. Thanks for letting me vent.

Bottom line is this: YOU MUST GET LAZER ALIGNMENT or you should probably sell your bike.
    You now know that this dealer will lie to you. This is the time to buy a manual and start doing it yourself. Be thankful that you learned who not to trust so cheaply. Many have been screwed harder and more expensively before they learned .

Spyder Garage

I think it took me about 1k miles to get accustomed to the Spyder RTS. After I learned to " Hold on loosely but don't let go " all was better.

I either have got more accustomed to the wind buffiting or just got better at holding on. The windshield all the way up you take more of a beating around tractor trailers. I got a beating today around some today more than I have in a long time. Crosswinds and turbulence from the trucks all at the same time.

With all this said I Love my Spyder. My wife likes it better than any bike I have ever had. Wish I had a short windshield for summer though.
    2021 RTL Marsala Dark Edition 4.13.2021
    Lamonster Riser
    Spyder Extras Docking station
    Zumo XT (my own Plug & Play cable)
    WrapMySpyder Carbon fiber partial kit.
    Baja Ron ultra performance sway bar and end links

2015 RTS SM6 Intense Red
    born on date 3/2015 (mine on 9/12/15)
    Sold on 4.13.2021 33k of fun.

Spyder Garage

I had a 2013 RT limited and it was squirrely I raised the air pressure on front tires to 23 pounds, back tire to 30 pounds and raised the compressor to hard ride and it felt good. Bought 2014 RT limited and found the sway bars were much better. Did the same with the tire pressure. Put a car tire on the rear 6 ply and it stopped the roll over feeling on the back. But most of all is to relax. The bike senses your tension. Me and my wife love the spider "Squeaky" because of the brake pads always squeak. The 13 we put 31000 miles on in 17 months. The 14 we have put 31000 miles on in 17 months. We have had no major problems with either bike. Just relax and enjoy, it's safe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I just got my 2011 rt limited with 7700km on it. Got it Friday and by Sunday I already had over 9000km on it.

I read on here and put my tire pressure at 20 per front and 30 rear.

I do get a bit of grinding feeling from the belt at around 6000rpm. I believe that's just belt slap. And may need to be adjusted. But haven't bought a tensioner yet.

I love it. Its comfortable and cruise is amazing.

I'm also coming from a sport bike (RC51) and the wind kicked you around on that like crazy. They spyder moves around as well but not near as bad. Just takes a bit to get used to.

Just go out and enjoy. Ride and have fun.

Hope it works out for ya.

Stiff

Sent on Note 5 in Taptalk
    2011 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by derrill View Post
    I had a 2013 RT limited and it was squirrely I raised the air pressure on front tires to 23 pounds, back tire to 30 pounds and raised the compressor to hard ride and it felt good. Bought 2014 RT limited and found the sway bars were much better. Did the same with the tire pressure. Put a car tire on the rear 6 ply and it stopped the roll over feeling on the back. But most of all is to relax. The bike senses your tension. Me and my wife love the spider "Squeaky" because of the brake pads always squeak. The 13 we put 31000 miles on in 17 months. The 14 we have put 31000 miles on in 17 months. We have had no major problems with either bike. Just relax and enjoy, it's safe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Everyone has their preferences, but i find that 23 in the front makes it too bouncy.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

See if you have a Spyder riding group around you and find someone you trust that also rides an RT. Swap Spyders and have them tell you if yours handles any different. I rode a demo RT for about 3 hours and if anything it was so stable that I found it very boring compared to the RS and F3.