Spyder Garage

Default Trailer Light Control Module for 2015 RT-S

Returned from an extended trip on the spyder and on the last leg of the trip we lost trailer lights. After checking the fuse on the spyder and checking the trailer to make sure that it was working, it appears the light control module on the spyder has died.

I am currently waiting on the parts department at my dealer to call me back with a price. Does anyone have a suggestion for a non-BRP control module/solution? The trailer uses traditional incandescent bulbs.

Thanks....
    Last edited by Johnny_Swindle; 07-05-2016 at 12:59 PM.
    Johnny
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2015 RT-S (SE6) Special Series

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Swindle View Post
    Returned from an extended trip on the spyder and on the last leg of the trip we lost trailer lights. After checking the fuse on the spyder and checking the trailer to make sure that it was working, it appears the light control module on the spyder has died.

I am currently waiting on the parts department at my dealer to call me back with a price. Does anyone have a suggestion for a non-BRP control module/solution? The trailer uses traditional incandescent bulbs.

Thanks....
    Is it a BRP hitch and module?

What kind of trailer do you have? Could it be the trailer making the module die? I've been pulling a trailer for three years and have never had a module problem? I had a Nomad from Mini Trailer USA for a year and an RT-622 for two years with never a problem.
    Last edited by Copperman; 07-05-2016 at 01:14 PM.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Yes....it is a BRP hitch and module.

The trailer is an after market trailer. Unfortunately, the manufacturer went out of business shortly after I purchased it. I suspect that the trailer has insufficient/poor grounding that caused the module to die. Kind of an expensive way to find out (IMHO) it needs additional grounding.

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    Is it a BRP hitch and module?

What kind of trailer do you have? Could it be the trailer making the module die? I've been pulling a trailer for three years and have never had a module problem? I had a Nomad from Mini Trailer USA for a year and an RT-622 for two years with never a problem.
    Johnny
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spyder Garage

I've looked, and there doesn't seem to be a non-BRP on the market (someone is obviously making it for them).
    I've gone through 2 modules and learned this the hard way-
    TURN OFF ALL POWER WHEN CONNECTING AND DISCONNECTING THE TRAILER'S ELECTRICAL PLUG!

Spyder Garage

Show Chrome or Big Bike Parts makes a replacement module that bypasses the BRP computer and runs directly off the battery

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

It only shows up to year model 2014......but will keep looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Show Chrome or Big Bike Parts makes a replacement module that bypasses the BRP computer and runs directly off the battery

Cruzr Joe
    Johnny

Spyder Garage

14, 15 & 16 are the same i believe.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Excellent....will wait to see what the dealer will quote me for a replacement moduke.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Johnny

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Swindle View Post
    It only shows up to year model 2014......but will keep looking.
    The installation instructions for that unit indicate 2010 - Newer. They were dated February 2016. You might want to call them, but I think that's the right one.

http://www.bigbikeparts.com/template...&GroupGuid=669

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

I don't disagree.....but mine failed while I was riding. Never disconnected or reconnected during the trip. Motorist came along side of me and shouted that the trailer lights were not working.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I've looked, and there doesn't seem to be a non-BRP on the market (someone is obviously making it for them).
    I've gone through 2 modules and learned this the hard way-
    TURN OFF ALL POWER WHEN CONNECTING AND DISCONNECTING THE TRAILER'S ELECTRICAL PLUG!
    Johnny

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have the Big Bike Parts module and it works very well. Two items to note:
    • It provides separate circuits for turn signals, brake lights and running lights (5 wire)
    • It does not come with a connector to the trailer. You can either scavenge the current one or pick one up at most any auto-parts store.

The harness is electrically isolated from your other lighting and you'll have to run a wire to your battery. I cut the clip end off of a big zip tie, drilled a hole in one end and used it to pull the wires through.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

The current set up use 4 wires so I will need to investigate how to make it work with 4.

Johnny

Spyder Garage

Buy a new isolator/converter module from a well stocked auto parts store or trailer shop. BRP uses a Hopkins module but the brand does not matter. Unplug the module from the Spyder. Cut out the old module from the plugs and splice in the new module to the old plugs. Reinstall.

Then on your trailer. Check to see if a ground wire runs from the plug all the way to the main rear lights. It can be attached to ground points along the way. That's fine but a wire has to go all the way to the lights.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Thanks....will give that serious consideration.

Johnny

Spyder Garage

Keep us posted on your dealer recommendation. I have recently experienced the same problem.

I'm kind of wary about installing this kit myself, so I may be at my dealer's mercy. I sure don't want another BRP harness though, if it keeps blowing.

My trailer is an Aluma XL aftermarket.
    2014 Cognac Spyder RT-S SM6, purchased July 8, 2015
    Rivco Flag Holders
    Eduo Innovations SRT Clear/Stainless Cup Holder
    Lamonster Spyder Decals
    Inspector Gadget Driver Floorboards and Heel-Toe Shifter
    Sena SPH10H-FM Headset for Half-Helmet
    Hopnel 1500 Front Trunk Liner
    BRP Trailer Hitch and Control Module
    2014 Escape Trailer (Black and Diamond) from 1 Motorcycle Trailers

2012 Magnesium Spyder RT SM5, sold on July 8, 2015

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post

Cruzr Joe
    Actually the BRP module runs from the battery through the fuse box. There is a dedicated fuse and wire in the harness to the connector that provides power for the trailer lights. All the modules have the same computer connection in that the power to the bike turn signals comes from the cluster, and that power is tapped into to operate the switch in the module that feeds the trailer turn signals.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Buy a new isolator/converter module from a well stocked auto parts store or trailer shop. BRP uses a Hopkins module but the brand does not matter. Unplug the module from the Spyder. Cut out the old module from the plugs and splice in the new module to the old plugs. Reinstall.

Then on your trailer. Check to see if a ground wire runs from the plug all the way to the main rear lights. It can be attached to ground points along the way. That's fine but a wire has to go all the way to the lights.
    What you want is an isolator/converter with 5 wire input and 4 wire output.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)