Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biuld quality

Spyder Garage

Default Biuld quality

The finished build quality is at best very poor. I am losing bolts every trip and lock tight is in the tool rap. I find this very sad for a pricy machine . the frunk is crap and its locking system along with being flimsy. the seats is the same . Can Am do you hear me your building a crappy machine. Yes you got my funds and you don't care, had to get this off my chest. I am a little pissed at this development at this time...If I could take it back I would.....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The adjustment of the seat and the trunk closing are things that your dealer should have tested and adjusted during setup. What do they say about it?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You did spell, "Build" incorrectly, in your Title to the thread...
    I guess that we ALL could use some improving; right?

Beyond that: I'm pretty happy with my 2014 RT-L.
    Is it perfect? Nope!

One more thing: It is, "you're": not "your".
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 07-07-2016 at 10:37 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MOSESS View Post
    The finished build quality is at best very poor. I am losing bolts every trip and lock tight is in the tool rap. I find this very sad for a pricy machine . the frunk is crap and its locking system along with being flimsy. the seats is the same . Can Am do you hear me your building a crappy machine. Yes you got my funds and you don't care, had to get this off my chest. I am a little pissed at this development at this time...If I could take it back I would.....
    Thanks for the rant, because I'm mobile today (Tap a Talk), I can't see what you ride. Did you just buy it? New our used? Model? Year? For the record, I'm 97 percent satisfied with my 2013 STL. There are a few things Can Am could have done better (beefier anti sway bar, better alignment, to name a couple), but all-in-all, it's a great ride.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    All the best,
    John

2022 RT Limited

• Garmin XT (I would be lost without it)
      Driving Lights (Very bright to improve my sight)
      Floorboard Lights and Turn Signals (I like to be seen)
      Passenger Armrests (So my wife doesn't fall off)
      Trailer Hitch (So we can bring more stuff with us)
      Chrome Wheels (Because the beautiful stock wheels just weren't good enough)
      Front Fender Sequential Reflector Lights (I was wondering what to do with my paycheck)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Really. ...

You may find your in the minority on this one...I have no complaints but then I have an RS which suffer less maladies. But all I ryde with have not had major issues. Adjusting things is part of owning one of these open air machines you manhandle down the back roads. Every vehicle I have owned has had something fall off of it..but hey you are having a tough time and I understand your rant...hope you have some better days ahead...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am over all thrilled with my 2015 RTL. I did have the antenna fall off the first trip out with less than 3,000 miles on it. Can Am sent me an updated one with the lock tight pre-applied, 13,000 miles later it is still there.

If you purchased this new then the dealer should do a better job putting it together, if it is used, them whom ever had the plastic off last might not have put it back together as it should be. A lot of plastic has to come off for every service, most mods or farkels, and for many other reasons. The more it comes off and goes back on the less holding power the factory applied lock tight on the screws have.

I would be hard pressed to blame Can Am for these problems without more information.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

every thing has problems, i am happy with my 14 rt

Spyder Garage

Last week there was thread ranting about how they use too much loctite. Can't please 100% of the people 100% of the time.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    The adjustment of the seat and the trunk closing are things that your dealer should have tested and adjusted during setup. What do they say about it?
    Yes but, they shouldn't have to. It should be correct from the factory. This is a big reason my Harley UC found a new home.

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear of your unhappiness with the new . Most of the items you mentioned--should have been adjusted and checked at the dealer before delivery. Some dealers are better than others when setting up a new machine. If you have bolts and nuts falling off, I would suggest taking a half hour or so and doing a good check over--or--take it back to the dealer and let them give it a good "twice" over.

Let us know how this all works out for you. I for one, hope you become a happy owner.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Rant

You will be in the minority on this Spyder lovers site. I absolutely agree with you that the Can Am engineers attitude is that is good enough to get by.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You would still be in the minority if this was not a Spyder Lovers site. The people I normally ride with are not on Spyder Lovers at all and they have none of the complaints mentioned above.
    I am absolutely thrilled with my 2016 F3 Limited. 4500 miles in the first 2 months and no issues what so ever.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

OK, I will be the "minority". I understand his frustration. Don't get me wrong. I now have a 2015 F3-S that I truly enjoy, but had REALLY poor luck/satisfaction with a 2013 RTL and a 2014 RTS before I got here. The 2013 heat issues are well known and my 2014 only had 800 miles on it when it went back to the shop for the 3rd time with mystery overheating! I do love riding my F3, but I will concede one point, BRP could use a little upgrade on quality control! BTW, when I took my side panels off my F3 to install fog lights, I found screws that were barely threaded into the fasteners. I'd have never seen them if I had't removed the panels. I think that comes under QC! OK, ready for the flaming!

Pragmatic Member
    Spyder Garage

I was told by a saleperson at RideNow, that a great deal of final assembly is done at the dealership when the new Spyders arrive. I'm not sure how much is done at the dealership, but if this is true, the dealer could be to blame for much of these problems.

Pam

Spyder Garage

Default WATCHED

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    I was told by a saleperson at RideNow, that a great deal of final assembly is done at the dealership when the new Spyders arrive. I'm not sure how much is done at the dealership, but if this is true, the dealer could be to blame for much of these problems.

Pam
    Pammy;
    i watched my F3 from 'uncrating' to 'ride-off'....
    they strip the packaging, mount the front wheels, assemble the front fenders, mount the *windshield, *optional lights (*if you get them) and that's about it....
    oh, they did check the fluids and psi in the tires... started it up, rode it around the block, and came back and handed me the keys....
    SPYD3R

Pragmatic Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    Pammy;
    i watched my F3 from 'uncrating' to 'ride-off'....
    they strip the packaging, mount the front wheels, assemble the front fenders, mount the *windshield, *optional lights (*if you get them) and that's about it....
    oh, they did check the fluids and psi in the tires... started it up, rode it around the block, and came back and handed me the keys....
    SPYD3R
    I guess that's what they were trying to charge me a $2,500 "assembly fee" for.

Pam

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    I guess that's what they were trying to charge me a $2,500 "assembly fee" for.

Pam
    There is a bit more assembly done on the RT than was described on the F3 so you may only have been overcharged by $2,000 or so.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JkRbbt View Post
    I think that comes under QC! OK, ready for the flaming!
    This is not poor QC. It is poor assembly line processing and/or poor assembly (either is usually a management issue). Quality is determined by comparing the quality that management expects from their product assembly lines to what they actually get. If management only expects 75% of the fasteners to be tight and 80% are, they have excellent quality. A Pinto can easily exceed a Lincoln in quality simply because of management expectations. Low expectations usually pays off in low customer satisfaction also. That is a totally different problem and, depending on customer tolerance, will bite them in the shorts and eliminate them from the competative market. Usually for good.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JkRbbt View Post
    BRP could use a little upgrade on quality control! BTW, when I took my side panels off my F3 to install fog lights, I found screws that were barely threaded into the fasteners. I'd have never seen them if I had't removed the panels. I think that comes under QC! OK, ready for the flaming!
    Quote Originally Posted by rcturner View Post
    This is not poor QC. It is poor assembly line processing and/or poor assembly (either is usually a management issue). Quality is determined by comparing the quality that management expects from their product assembly lines to what they actually get. If management only expects 75% of the fasteners to be tight and 80% are, they have excellent quality. A Pinto can easily exceed a Lincoln in quality simply because of management expectations. Low expectations usually pays off in low customer satisfaction also. That is a totally different problem and, depending on customer tolerance, will bite them in the shorts and eliminate them from the competative market. Usually for good.
    Rc has it pretty much correct, IMO. However, the poor assembly is covered by the Quality Assurance (QA) program which prescribes what is expected of each assembly line worker. The traditional QC program is nothing more than an inspection system, and I have always characterized the QC inspector as simply a historian. He/she records the history of the upline assembly workers. I have always defined QA as the system that answers the question, "How do we know what are we supposed to do, and how do we know how well we have done it?" I don't believe BRP understands this as well as they should. One example of an inadequate QA system is the user and service manuals. There are thousands of examples where the nomenclature for a part changes from year to year. The organization of the parts manual changes from year to year. Nomenclature for a part is different in the service manual text vs the parts list vs the owner's manual. The lack of attention to documentation consistency is a clear indicator, IMO, that BRP just doesn't understand QA.

Here is one possible scenario I will speculatively offer. I would expect the fasteners are mostly driven in with automatic drivers that are programmed to stop at the correct torque. If someone grabbed a driver that was set for a lighter torque, or the torque was incorrectly set on his driver, and didn't have the experience or knowledge to notice that the torque was wrong, they could be happily driving screw after screw all day and not know they were (pardon the pun) screwing up. Young people today are not being taught to think, or how to troubleshoot. So often they simply take a tool and use it without the foggiest idea of how to truly know if it is operating correctly.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Im pretty Happy camper aside from the alingment, a few $5 screws missing on the body panels , a missing spring on the exhaust of the primary muffler, but who needs all those extras, just ryde! (But make sure you take plenty of oil with you.)
    Last edited by AY4B; 07-06-2016 at 06:10 AM.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    Im pretty Happy camper aside from the alingment, a few $5 screws missing on the body panels , a missing spring on the exhaust of the primary muffler, but who needs all those extras, just ryde! (But make sure you take plenty of oil with you.)
    Do the 998's use oil? I have never had to add oil to my 1330. Right at 9,000 miles on this change after the trip and it is still not down at all.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Happy Spyder Owners

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    Do the 998's use oil? I have never had to add oil to my 1330. Right at 9,000 miles on this change after the trip and it is still not down at all.
    This thread is about the quality of the bike. Well, Spyders are developing like any other piece of equipment and getting refined.

We are VERY happy with both Spyders we have had.

The first Spyder was a 2012 RT Limited - NO issues, very dependable, (it did use some oil and I carried a quart with me during long trips). We traded it in on our 2014 RT Limited.

The 2014 RT Limited is AWESOME with the 1330 triple and 6 speed trans. I really like the lower RPM's for cruising and the quiet ride.

As far as quality, I think that both of these machines are a very good quality. We also own a Gold Wing which has been around for over 40 years. It's a fine machine, but if I wanted to get really critical, I could probably find a few items on it that I would like improved as well.

Overall, we have over 36,000 "trouble free" miles combined on Spyders. Over 28,000 miles on our 2014 RT Limited - it's been a very good machine! NEVER had to add any oil to this machine - runs great !!!!

We are happy with these bikes and plan on enjoying them - let's ride and enjoy! Mechanical and electrical items can and will fail....handle it at that time - don't worry, be happy!
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Rc has it pretty much correct, IMO. However, the poor assembly is covered by the Quality Assurance (QA) program which prescribes what is expected of each assembly line worker. The traditional QC program is nothing more than an inspection system, and I have always characterized the QC inspector as simply a historian. He/she records the history of the upline assembly workers. I have always defined QA as the system that answers the question, "How do we know what are we supposed to do, and how do we know how well we have done it?" I don't believe BRP understands this as well as they should. One example of an inadequate QA system is the user and service manuals. There are thousands of examples where the nomenclature for a part changes from year to year. The organization of the parts manual changes from year to year. Nomenclature for a part is different in the service manual text vs the parts list vs the owner's manual. The lack of attention to documentation consistency is a clear indicator, IMO, that BRP just doesn't understand QA.

Here is one possible scenario I will speculatively offer. I would expect the fasteners are mostly driven in with automatic drivers that are programmed to stop at the correct torque. If someone grabbed a driver that was set for a lighter torque, or the torque was incorrectly set on his driver, and didn't have the experience or knowledge to notice that the torque was wrong, they could be happily driving screw after screw all day and not know they were (pardon the pun) screwing up. Young people today are not being taught to think, or how to troubleshoot. So often they simply take a tool and use it without the foggiest idea of how to truly know if it is operating correctly.
    with the above completely. QA is a management issue that defines the requirements. QC is the the method that checks to see if the QA requirements are being met. After 40 years of dealing with QA and QC, I feel that QC is pretty much worthless. The problem however, is seldom the people. The problem is almost always at a much higher level.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had some issues with my 2013 RT Limited - most were heat related, and BRP finally fixed them. I'd get on it right now and ride anywhere in the country with no concern whether I'd get there or not - in fact, on Saturday, I'm leaving for a three-day weekend of ryding all day, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.

If something breaks, I'll worry about it, then - but not before!

I love this machine - it has provided the most fun I've had as an old man!
    2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)