Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default My Wife almost fell asleep on our ride today!

We went for a nice ride today here in Northeast Pennsylvania and it was warm but the air while riding felt cool about 84 degrees out. My Wife tells me the cool air is making her sleepy and I told her you better keep awake! I kept trying to talk to her via our Sena bluetooth and reaching back and squeezing her legs. Next thing she tells me to pull over because she had just dosed off for a couple seconds and when she felt her body moving to one side she snapped out of it and held on but scared the heck out her and me.

We pulled over she drank some water we waited a little bit and then she was fine the rest of the ride. She asked if I can put something like a seat belt just in case for future long rides. That was the first time that ever happened to her but it scared her. Has anyone tried that? Would that be safe?

We have a 2014 Spyder ST LTD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

turn the radio up

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The idea of seat belts was discussed recently:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ight=Seat+belt
    but it appears the general concensus was not in favor. They were only considering it for the driver as a precaution in case of accidents, but I don't see how a belt could keep a passenger upright if they fell asleep, either, and I should think it would be likely to cause injury if it didn't.

There's an obvious solution to this dilemma, though - just buy your wife her own Spyder! She'll be having too much fun to doze off.

Spyder Garage

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    My wife has fallen asleep several times. After the first time scare, we installed Corbin rigid armrests and the drivers backrest. She is very secure for those times she falls asleep.
    Last edited by stevedfive; 07-04-2016 at 11:46 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default I like it...

arm rests and backrest will lock her in...last resort would be a head butt... just kidding...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevedfive View Post
    My wife has fallen asleep several times. After the first time scare, we installed Corbin rigid armrests and the drivers backrest. She is very secure for those times she falls asleep.
    Add-ons like these are popular with Goldwing riders. It's common for the passenger, usually the wife, to fall asleep while riding. Rather than fight it, accommodate it!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

We don't have any 'extra' arm rests or a riders' backrest or anything else on our 2013 RT besides the std seat & passenger backrest, but my wife often has a bit of a doze while we ar on our longer trips, only waking when we need to refuel & I stop & get off!! Mind you, our 'longer trips' often require 14-18 hours of travel before we hit the next 'big' town; I prefer to ride at night (comes from early days & a few million miles driving Big Rigs); & even if we stop do every hour & a half or so to fuel up & grab a drink, have a restroom break, etc, there's no denying that it can get just a little boring & sleep inducing for the pillion passenger, especially since we've travelled all of the possible routes fairly often, doing most of these trips at least a couple of times each, each & every year for the last 35 or so years....

She just settles back in the seat, leans firmly on the backrest, & sorta hangs on to me with her knees, hands resting on the grab bars. That means I can readily feel if she starts moving the wrong way or slipping/flopping around on the seat; but she hasn't done much of that since we got the RT, it is a very comfortable seat that holds her in place extremely well!! Nothing at all like the Honda 750/4 that she first rode pillion with me on or the sports bikes we've had since - they took some skill for a pillion to stay on, even when she was awake!

I've never heard of a sleeping passenger actually falling off an RT, but I have had a sleeping pillion fall off the back of a Bol D'Or... When the gentle taps from their helmet hitting the back of my helmet disappeared just at the same moment I glimpsed a heel sweeping up & outta sight in the peripheral vision of each eye, it was a bit of a give-away!! Luckily, that pillion had the sense to keep his arms & legs up & off the ground when the shock of hitting the ground woke him up, so he just slid along on his bum & back until he came to a stop. The slide wasn't all that great for the leathers & back of the helmet, but it made a great argument for ATGATT - no real injuries at all, in fact, no skin loss, just a little redness from the heat, even tho the leathers & helmet were basically throw always afterwards!!

I think that while arm rests etc might make the passenger feel more secure (& so shouldn't be ignored) even straight outta the box the seats & backrest on the RT's are far better at keeping a pillion passenger aboard than many might think or feel on their first or early rides; & once the rider has developed their riding skill enough to keep their cornering & accel/decel smooth & steady, then you can actually travel pretty fast for long & boring legs with a sleeping pillion passenger & not have any falling off issues! And while some enabled riders might need a belt or strap for a bit of stability/security on the vehicle, for the rest of us the increased risks inherent with strapping yourself on top of an open vehicle that can flip if hit definitely means they aren't a good idea!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-05-2016 at 01:43 AM.

Spyder Garage

Wife sleeps regularly on our rt with corbin armrests long periods of time

Without armrests 10 seconds at a time with a yelp & bear hug in between [emoji624]

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!

Spyder Garage

Like you (original post), we have an STL. I had to put a backrest on it because I was afraid my wife would fall of the back. Now she's much more comfortable, but I can tell she is nodding off from time to time. Life is good.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    All the best,
    John

2022 RT Limited

• Garmin XT (I would be lost without it)
      Driving Lights (Very bright to improve my sight)
      Floorboard Lights and Turn Signals (I like to be seen)
      Passenger Armrests (So my wife doesn't fall off)
      Trailer Hitch (So we can bring more stuff with us)
      Chrome Wheels (Because the beautiful stock wheels just weren't good enough)
      Front Fender Sequential Reflector Lights (I was wondering what to do with my paycheck)

Spyder Garage

BUNGEE Cords, that's what I tell my wife

2015 RT Limited Black Matallic
    BAJARon Sway Bar w/Billet Aluminum Heim Joint Link Set
    SPYDERPOPS Bumperskid with LED's
    SPYDERPOPS RT BRT Rear Lighting Kit
    US LED Flag

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Steve,
    The O.P. mentioned that they're on an ST; not an RT...
    My Missus has fallen asleep on our bikes several times. The armrests (Big Bike Parts) are kept just tight enough to "nudge" her a bit, yet still pivot for easy mounting and dis-mounting of the bike.
    (But I don't know what's available for the STs...)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Those Corbin armrests sure look nice also. Don't know if there is anything for the ST that would help, but it certainly would be much easier to fall off the back of and ST than it would an RT. There are aftermarket backrests available and maybe one of those might be better than another.

I would post an inquiry in the ST forum section as well. Maybe someone there will know of something or have a suggestion.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

it gets real zippy when we both doze off

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Very Active Member bronzeflex42's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I need to get some of the corbin armrest for mine. Wifey likes to fall asleep as well and have to keep checking on her. Show don't need for her to fall off.
    2012 Spyder RT Limited Lava Bronze (Psalm 27:1;Luke 12:4,5)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    arm rests and backrest will lock her in...last resort would be a head butt... just kidding...
    I like that idea! LOL

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JCWeatherman View Post
    Like you (original post), we have an STL. I had to put a backrest on it because I was afraid my wife would fall of the back. Now she's much more comfortable, but I can tell she is nodding off from time to time. Life is good.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Yes we have a back rest and that's what kept her in place. She says she is so comfortable back there.

Spyder Garage

My bad, I didn't notice he was referring to a ST. Disregard my post.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Are these on a ST Limited. My wife has one and this would work great.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My bad, I didn't notice he was referring to a ST. Disregard my post.
    Don't worry about it.
    We all respond to the threads, from our own unique perspectives.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vided View Post
    it gets real zippy when we both doze off
    Isn't that what cruise control is for?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Maybe she is too comfortable....

Quote Originally Posted by Evgarriga. View Post
    .....She says she is so comfortable back there.....
    I used to put ice cubes in my socks when doing long distance drives out east. It was a last resort, when the designated keep-mom-awake-child fell asleep.
    The last girl-posse I rode with we discussed duct-taping the sleepy child riding behind her mother. Scared her into never shutting her eyes again!
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Isn't that what cruise control is for?
    That's what I thought.
    Apparently: it's not!

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Those look great! I have read a lot of complaints on here about Corbins customer service and quality control, is that just with their bags or or these affected too?
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    Those look great! I have read a lot of complaints on here about Corbins customer service and quality control, is that just with their bags or or these affected too?
    RE: Corbin: All the bad press lately has been with bad stuff about the saddlebags and their response to customer pleas for help. Don't know if you would have issues ordering up the arm rests. Kinda like a crap shoot at this point in time.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's another thread in the RT area, where folks are discussing the varying fitment, of their seats...