Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default No Runs No Drips No Errors

So at 3150 it was time for a oil change, after reading some horror stories here about stripped plugs and hard to get to filter and drain plugs I was a bit nervous, with new oil, o-rings, and plug seals in hand I jumped in, the side panel was easy to remove and there was the filer staring at me, drain plugs came out easy, all the old o-rings looked new but changed them anyway new plug seals also, I think the hardest part was figuring what o-rings go where as all four are different sizes, all in all it was pretty easy, didn't need to be jacked up both plugs were easy to get to, the only problem I see is a drain pan low enough to fit under and still be able to pull the plugs, so after really not looking forward to this in the long run it all went very well.

P.S. Originally put in 5qts, just did a 10 miles run and checked oil, down a bit came half way up between full and add I'm sure that would have been fine but I added a couple Oz's now right on full. So 5.2 qts seems to be right on.
    Last edited by Lastchance; 07-04-2016 at 10:37 AM.

Spyder Garage

Good stuff!! Glad it all went well for you, & just as glad (if not more so) that you took the time to post it up & tell everyone else that it is possible & there are some who manage!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Good stuff!! Glad it all went well for you, & just as glad (if not more so) that you took the time to post it up & tell everyone else that it is possible & there are some who manage!
    Yes, thanks for posting. I had my 3,000 mile (well, 3800) done at a shop in Durango while I was on the road, but will take this on myself in the future. YAY!!!

Spyder Garage

This Harley oil drain pan will be perfect for your trike. It is ultra-low in profile, holds a boatload of oil and makes it easy to take it to the recycler.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-oil-drain-pan

Please don't dump it on the road to hold down dust. I hate the taste of oil in my drinking water

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HARLEY DRAIN PAN

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Bob View Post
    This Harley oil drain pan will be perfect for your trike. It is ultra-low in profile, holds a boatload of oil and makes it easy to take it to the recycler.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-oil-drain-pan
    ...$31.00 ..OMG...... I bought my 3 inch pan at the Dollar store for .........................$1.00 works great & I had two days of great riding on the CHANGE left.....
    Please don't dump it on the road to hold down dust. I hate the taste of oil in my drinking water

Spyder Garage

I have a friend who uses a MityVac oil extractor for doing an oil change who swears by it. Of course he does more oil changes than on his Spyder, but said he could do an oil change on his RT in 2 1/2 hours without spilling a drop. Puts a the tube down into his filler and it pulls everything but just a couple of drops. While it's doing that, he pulls the panels needed to do what ever else he has in mind, and by then can pull the drain plugs to get the very last drops. After putting in the new oil, he reverses the flow of the extractor and puts the old oil in the empty containers and the job is finished. I know this isn't for everyone, but thought I would put it out there for those who might be interested. If you don't like the idea, then please, just keep your comments to yourself. I'm just trying to be helpful, and for crying out loud, it's my birthday.

https://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7201-...=sr_1_7&sr=8-7

David

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

Default Congrats. ..

It is not as scary if you remember that what you read here is not the norm but some isolated incedents and more than likely will not happen. Still good information. So now you are a pro and will never fear the oil change again....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Mighty - vac

Quote Originally Posted by Devious56 View Post
    I have a friend who uses a MityVac oil extractor for doing an oil change who swears by it. Of course he does more oil changes than on his Spyder, but said he could do an oil change on his RT in 2 1/2 hours without spilling a drop. Puts a the tube down into his filler and it pulls everything but just a couple of drops. While it's doing that, he pulls the panels needed to do what ever else he has in mind, and by then can pull the drain plugs to get the very last drops. After putting in the new oil, he reverses the flow of the extractor and puts the old oil in the empty containers and the job is finished. I know this isn't for everyone, but thought I would put it out there for those who might be interested. If you don't like the idea, then please, just keep your comments to yourself. I'm just trying to be helpful, and for crying out loud, it's my birthday.

David
    ...Not a comment but a question ....So is the Vac running for ......2 1/2 hrs.......I can't imagine He's sitting there staring at it ....My concern would be a possible fire hazard ...................Mike ........AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Spyder Garage

David
    Yikes 2.5 HRS? That is a long time to do an oil change.

I did the first oil change on my F3 Limited in about 40 minutes. I drove up on ramps made out of 2X6's jacked up the rear so it was level. Pulled the plugs, Pulled the filter. Installed all the new o rings and filter from Baja Ron. After the oil stopped dripping I reinstalled the plugs and dumped in 5 Quarts of Ams Oil. Drove up the road and back and topped off the oil, (this was in addition to the 40 minutes).
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ...Not a comment but a question ....So is the Vac running for ......2 1/2 hrs.......I can't imagine He's sitting there staring at it ....My concern would be a possible fire hazard ...................Mike ........AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Guess I could have stated that it is a manual extractor, you pump up the amount of vacuum you need, or, stop it when you are through. No fire hazard involved. Thanks for the Birthday wishes.

And Chupaca, if your post was aimed at me, I'm far from a pro, in fact, as long as I have my service contract with the dealer, they have the honor of doing all of my maintenance. I think I can handle doing an oil change, but they do a lot of other things that are spelled out in the shop manual, plus they will pick it up and take it to the shop and when they are done they call me and let me know when they will have it to the house. Hope you had a great day.

David

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

Guess I could have stated that it is a manual extractor, you pump up the amount of vacuum you need, or, stop it when you are through. No fire hazard involved. Thanks for the Birthday wishes.

And Chupaca, if your post was aimed at me, I'm far from a pro, in fact, as long as I have my service contract with the dealer, they have the honor of doing all of my maintenance. I think I can handle doing an oil change, but they do a lot of other things that are spelled out in the shop manual, plus they will pick it up and take it to the shop and when they are done they call me and let me know when they will have it to the house. Hope you had a great day.

David
    That is Service! I bet they throw in a smile for free!