Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default New 2015 RT Dies on the Road

I'm a new spyder owner (10 days) with about 600 mi under my belt. While cruising along the highway tonight, she died. Suddenly I lost power. Fortunately I was going down hill and made it to the breakdown lane. The oil light was on, but the oil level was full. I thought maybe I could baby it to the next exit, but it wouldn't even start. It wouldn't even crank, even though there was power. There were no codes that I could identify. Had to have it towed. Not an auspicious start for a new spyder owner. Hopefully it's an easy fixxxx

Steve

PS NOTE: if you are reading this post to research the reliability of a Spyder, the above incident is a result of operator error. I made a rookie mistake by hitting and not checking the kill switch. So nothing negative to read in this thread.
    Last edited by Uruzgan; 07-04-2016 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Information Update

Spyder Garage

Did you take the key out and walk away from the bike for about 5 or 10 minutes and then retry it ?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Kill switch? If the key is on and the Spyder is not running the oil light will be on, you need to worry if the oil light stays on when the bike is running.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Yep, that 'wouldn't even crank, even though there was power bit' sounds a whole lot like a 'Kill Switch' event!! It's happened to most of us at least once, suddenly no engine, but the lights are still on; no cranking, no click from a starter solenoid, but it was fine a moment ago!! Some moments (or days) of angst while we worry & search for a solution/cause & then some bright spark flicks the kill switch & suddenly, everything is fine again!!

From what you've described Uruzgan, it sounds awfully like someone has hit the kill switch or it has failed (yes, it does happen - not often, but occasionally!! More often if you use it to stop the engine every time rather than the key like many of us do!) Try flicking the kill switch on & off a couple of times, try starting the engine with it in the other position to what it is now & if that doesn't work, flick it again & try at least once more. And if the engine burst into life & everything is fine, then don't think you are any different to the rest of us, cos if you ride motor cycles for long, if you haven't been caught by the Kill Switch yet, it's just a matter of time!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-04-2016 at 03:00 AM.

Spyder Garage

I think now it could very well have been the kill switch. It makes sense, I was fumbling with the cruise control, and could have accidentally hit it. It never crossed my mind to check it. I tried several times to start over a 4 her period while I waited for a tow. I'll go to the dealers lot tomorrow and check. Embarrassing if that's the case, but better than it being a potentially more serious problem...ugh

steve

Spyder Garage

It is very easy to flick that kill switch - especially when first getting used to the Spyder. Please let us know the results!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

I think every new Spyder owner has a Kill Switch story.
    It's too bad the BRP didn't include some kind of message on the display to indicate the kill switch status.

The Power of Logic.
    Start Thinking.

Very Active Member 2ndChildhood's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderCodes View Post
    I think every new Spyder owner has a Kill Switch story.
    It's too bad the BRP didn't include some kind of message on the display to indicate the kill switch status.
    I had the same problem with my 2015 I was driving down the road and it died. This is my second spyder. I don't know how it happened but I accidentally hit the kill switch. It was kind of scary being on the freeway and all of a sudden a dead Spyder. When I realize it was the kill switch back to life it came, and back on the road. So things like this do happen.

I hope this is what your problem is.

ToM
    Enjoy the Ride
    Life is Good
    Life is Great
    ToM

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChildhood View Post
    I had the same problem with my 2015 I was driving down the road and it died. This is my second spyder. I don't know how it happened but I accidentally hit the kill switch. It was kind of scary being on the freeway and all of a sudden a dead Spyder. When I realize it was the kill switch back to life it came, and back on the road. So things like this do happen.

I hope this is what your problem is.

ToM
    Enjoy the Ride
    Life is Good

Check Fuses I had an electrical problem that would blow a fuse that would shut everything down.

Good Luck
    2015 RTS Ltd Spyderpops bumpskid, Dual Isci Hand Brake ,Baker Wind Wings

2016 Polaris Slingshot SL

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer...

I have to agree with the kill switch theory.. I always remind new ryders to remember the startup proceedure. Don't panic, especially if you hang out n this site, and slowly and methodically go through the starting process... glad your sudden loss of power was safely handled and hope it is the simple flip of a switch and your back on the road...don't worry most of us have had that Oh Oh moment...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yup, sounds like the kill switch. Been there, done that. Actually, hope it is the kill switch. It is a lesson we all go through at some point in time and one we never forget.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

Default Engine cut off switch

Most likely.
    Years ago, I had a kick start only Harley. I was going to a Army school, so my bike was outside of my temporary quarters. I had seen children playing nearby earlier, and went out to start up and go to work. Kick, Kick, Kick! nothing. No worries, it will start. Kick, Kick, Kick! After 30 minutes of that, I was dripping sweat, exhausted, angry,. Now running late, in danger of being in serious trouble, I looked a little closer. Everything was just a bit off; mirrors, switches, passenger pegs - anything that could have been played with, had been played with. I remembered my pre-start ritual: FINE-C. Fuel, turn it on, Ignition, turn it on, Neutral, move shift lever to neutral, Engine cut off switch, move it to run, Clutch/choke, Pull in clutch, tickle the choke. 1st kick, fired right up! I roared off to school, making it by seconds! I learned a powerful lesson that day! It happens to everyone. No shame, just remember to use the system. It works! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

I called my dealer a few days after I bought the Spyder when it wouldn't start. I didn't even know there was a kill switch - in the end I didn't feel like the brightest bulb in the room, but at least it was an easily fixed problem.

It will happen again. It always does.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

So the ? Is can the spyder be restarted while rolling, if you relize the switch is off and the turn it back on? And you have an automatic?

Sent From my Note 5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's a good question. I would think that you'd still be in gear, so you'd need to have a foot on the brake pedal...
    Once it did start: it would automatically switch you back to neutral anyway. And you can't stuff it into gear, if you're rolling!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CapeSpyder View Post
    So the ? Is can the spyder be restarted while rolling, if you relize the switch is off and the turn it back on? And you have an automatic?

Sent From my Note 5
    That did happen to me and I was on the freeway. I hit the start switch and nothing, I then just touched the brake petal and the start switch and it started. So the answer is yes you don't need to come to a stop.

I too have inadvertently hit the switch while stopped and since I don't ever use that switch it took someone else to "see it" and off we went.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Heck of a way to say and on your new .

It is sounding like it may be the kill switch. Let's hope that is all it is. Please keep us informed.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Yuppers... It was the kill switch!!! The agust and knowledgable forum members diagnosed the problem correctly...Good on you all Rookie mistake with the kill switch...giant brain fart!!! . Most embarrassed, but learned a valuable lesson, I'll not soon forget... The good news is I'm back on the road... Thanks all for your input.

Steve
    Last edited by Uruzgan; 07-04-2016 at 05:31 PM.

Spyder Garage

Hooray! So glad your new Spyder is just fine.

Makes for a good story and a laugh. Get out there and ride.

Oh, and thanks for coming back and letting everyone know. Big of you to own up to it. We have all had brain farts.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Glad you are back riding
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

Sent From my Note 5

Try it & see for yourself, it's not a problem & shouldn't hurt anything if you exercise a little care - cos the gearbox isn't actually an automatic like the auto in your car, it doesn't need to be in neutral to re-start at speed!! If an accidental flick of the Kill Switch while on the Freeway at speed sees the engine die, then if you are still rolling fast enough, just flicking it back to the Run position is usually all you need to do. The Centrifugal clutch (2013 or earlier) or the Hydraulic/electric clutch (post 2013) will still be engaged whilever the 'road driven revs' are over 3800 or so rpm (<2013) or 2500 or so rpm (>2013) & we all always try to ride at sufficient speed/revs to fully engage the clutch, don't we??) so flicking the Kill Switch back to Run generally sees the engine fire up again immediately without any other intervention (sorta like a 'hi-speed roll start'! ) & you can continue riding just as tho nothing ever happened....

Glad it's sorted for you Uruzgan, & that you are back riding - & as you can see from all the responses above, you aren't on your lonesome with this particular brain fart, so there's no need to be too embarrassed. If we are brutally honest (with ourselves usually!) & have been riding for a while, then we've pretty much all gotta admit that we've been caught by the Kill Switch at some stage - and if we can honestly lay claim to not being caught (yet) then just keep riding, it's only a matter of time!

Now get out there & Ride More, Worry Less!! That's what I'll be doing
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-04-2016 at 07:32 PM.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sent From my Note 5
    Yes. That is the only time you can start the Spyder by rolling. If you flip the kill switch back to operate quick enough the engine will still be turning as the clutch stays engaged while you're at road speed. Starts back up. No need to hit the start button. I've done it more times than I want to admit to!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The main thing is it was not a real issue and you are back enjoying your new Spyder! Glad to hear!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Sent From my Note 5
    I have killed mine in 5th gear, toggled the kill switch hit the start button and took right back off, no problem. I think I was down to 4th when t restarted

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can turn it back on when moving with the kill switch and you can turn off and restart the Spyder while in motion with the key. Turning off and back on with the key while moving can clear Limp Mode if it was an occurred error and not an active one. I used to do this frequently on my 2013. You can not clear Limp Mode with the kill switch though.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622