Spyder Garage

Default Passenger armrests

Hi, I posted a while back a question about Passenger armrests. I got a few responses but I need more info to make a choice. My wife has had 2 spinal fusions and I should have my right knee replaced and both shoulders operated on. That is why we went to the spyder from 2 wheels. I have loved it since I first saw it. Karen really needs something to make her feel safe and comfortable on the spyder (2014 RT Limited-she loves it too). I'm looking for something sturdy and that will not swing out. Any recommendations and anyone near the south suburbs of Chicago that has some installed. Thanks, Mike

Spyder Garage

To my knowledge most of the passenger armrests are swing-out style to help assist in the passenger being able get in and get out easier. The only one that I've seen that is fixed to the back rest is by Corbin. Show Chrome makes a really nice, secure, swing style if you think the Corbin is too pricey.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/CORBIN-TRUNKRE...862?nav=SEARCH

See if this link will help you.
    Brian Kay - Kennesaw, GA
    2014 RT-S SM6 Pearl White (KHAOS)
    TricLED 3rd and 4th Brake Lights - TricLED Turn Signals - TricLED Side Fender Lights - Airhawk R Seat Pad - Smoothspyder Belt Tensioner - JT's Dash Mount - JT's USB and 12v Power Unit - Stebel 139dB Multi Sound Horn - Lamonster NBV Highway Pegs - BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors - Cal-Sci Stock Extra Wide Windshield - Baja Ron Sway Bar - WrapMySpyder 1330 Triple decals - Ultimate Tallboy Seat - BRP Sat Radio - ELKA Stage 2 Front Shocks

Spyder Garage

Default Arm rests

Hi was looking on forum saw a old post on arm rests. It shows arm rests that swing up not out. Might give you more
    sense of not falling off. Do a search for arm rests. But these are sold by wing stuff. So google wing stuff and do a search.

Good luck Bob

Spyder Garage

Default Armrests

We bought our Corbin armrests right after getting the Spyder last June. Had it over a year and pleased with them! This picture shows how they look.These are the ones I bought:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CORBIN-LEATH...3D390628690245

20160201_072254.jpg
    Last edited by ceyer69; 07-04-2016 at 06:13 AM. Reason: added link
    2015 SE6 SS

Elka Stage 2 front and rear shocks
    Lamonster Web Pegs
    General Altimax RT43 Rear Tire
    Lamonster LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Baker Wings
    Bajarons Sway Bar & Links
    Custom Dynamics Fender, Bright Sides and HMT Brake Lt
    Zumo 590
    CB
    Spyder Mudflap
    Lamonster drink holder
    Foam Grips
    Billet Axle Covers
    Stebel Air Horn
    SpyderPops Bumpskid
    SpyderPops belt guard
    SpyderPops Kotte Grills
    TriCLED LED Driving lights
    Magic Mirrors

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Armrests that "lock" you into place might not actually be your best choice.
    If things go sour: you want the ability to get away from the bike quickly. (If that turns out to be the best choice...)
    You can tighten the pivot screws on the armrests, and that makes them feel more secure.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Arm Rests

I have the Corbin arm rests, and while they seem to work well, I am not very satisfied with Corbin. First, I think it took a very long time to receive the arm rests, considering that they are an off the shelf item as opposed to something custom made. Second, the installation instructions were not very good. To install them you need to remove the rear speaker enclosures. The instructions say there are 2 screws that secure the speaker enclosures. This is incorrect, there are 3 screws, and the 3rd one is very deep in the rear trunk making it difficult to see if you aren't looking for it. Third, the reinforced points on the arm rests where the screws go into the arm rest did not line up with the holes in the rear trunk, so the screws had to be screwed into the unreinforced material that forms the arm rest. This results in the arm rest being less secure. I have to remind my wife not to use the arm rest to help her get up out of the seat to get off the bike.

Spyder Garage

Still learning how to use the forum so please bear with me. I used to be on 3 Virago forums (I was one of the first on ViragoTech.com) and a Honda and a Suzuki forum but each one is a little different. Check out my pics in my album. I had Honda armrests on my Voyager and Love Handles (custom made--$400) in my Virago to make her more comfortable

I showed my wife the Corbins and she did not like them (so you know where that goes). Also trying to get her to not put all of her weight on them will be a problem (even though she is only 120lbs). I've seen the Rivco and ShowChrome and like them both. I think the ShowChrome mount under the seat which might be more study.

Thanks, Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They do: the Rivcos mount to the rear speaker boxes.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Here is the link to wing stuff armrests. I saw these on a gold-wing at IMotorsports last year.

http://wingstuff.com/products/32710-...ntext=armrests

I wonder what it would take to make them fit. Thanks, Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

Default Arm Rest are not a Safety Device.

Don't count on armrest to provide any measure of safety. I've had Corbin and Ultimate (made by Rivco) armrests and both screw into plastic and have no firm support if you lean on them or push them down while getting on or off. I had the screws pull out of the Corbin rest from my wife pushing down on them while getting on and off. The Ultimate are mounted with rubber compression plug fasteners. They will pull out of the plastic speaker housing very easily. I have plans on modifying my Ultimate (same as Rivco) arm rest mounting. When I get some time I am going to make a formed steel support the goes completely behind the seat back rest and connects to both armrest brackets to give them more support.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

Default Diamond R Armrests

We have the diamond R web style armrests on the RT. They mount under the seat with existing bolts. They seem very sturdy and are mounted metal to metal. Easy to mount yourself. Very well made and can be adjusted for easy swing out.
    They do no move when riding solo, wife seems to enjoy them. Good luck Bob. Sorry not smart enough to post a link.

Spyder Garage

Dr Buck has a good idea to try with the Rivco rests. I have them and my wife likes them, but I hate the idea of her forgetting to not put much weight on them....ugh.. I could see a very expensive piece of plastic getting busted from the mount system the Rivcos have. She's 120lbs too, but one wrong move..and crack....So far so good. I snugged up the pivot bolt a bit on ours, but if ya go too tight, then it puts all the stress on the plastic/speaker boxes. So, going much tighter isn't an option. In a crash or sudden movement, I wouldn't rely on the rests to be any form of restraint system. I think a solid mount will make it harder to mount/dismount for the passenger, but to each their own.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White