Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    You could ask them if they've got a loaner bike...
    (It never hurts to ask! )
    I did but they looked at me like I was a complete idiot for asking.
    2010 RT Audio and Convience SE5, wider vented windshield, XM radio, digital voltmeter, K&N filter, LED turn signal strips, ISCI floorboards, Lamonster LED Headlights and Fogs, Two Bros Black series

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry!
    I guess that I'm just used to getting that look from The Missus...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jroberts650 View Post
    Wow, did you decide to not worry about the fix and just trade up? Wouldn't it have been cheaper to replace the part?
    Just saw this. A few reasons. #1- BRP would cover the throttle body itself, but not the labor to replace it. #2- Her windshield arm broke on the trip too. BRP would not cover the replacement of the actuator since it was out of warranty. #3- The wife refused to drive the bike back home even if it was fixed. #4- The owner of the dealership gave us a great deal on a trade in along with the BRP incentive. It was cheaper to go with the trade in. #5 and most important reason. I have to live with her. Happy wife happy life.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Default Loaner

About 16 months ago, had a lingering mx problem and left bike at the (since sold) dealership. Told them a loaner would really be appreciated due to repeated trip over two lingering problems. Two loaners over the next month, 600 miles on a 2012 RT and 1400 miles on a 2014 RT. So yes, do ask - ya never know when they screw up and actually try
    to make a customer happy.

Spyder Garage

I took it to my local dealer and dropped it off Wednesday amd,was told it would be 2 1/2 to 3 weeks just to be looked at. So I called the dealer I purchased from about an hour away and they had a slot open on Wednesday 13th so I took it yesterday and dropped off. So I should have an answer this Wednesday on the problem. Service said it could possibly be repaired under the emissions warranty due to the mileage or they would try for a goodwill depending what needed to be replaced.

Will post what they find soon.
    2010 RT Audio and Convience SE5, wider vented windshield, XM radio, digital voltmeter, K&N filter, LED turn signal strips, ISCI floorboards, Lamonster LED Headlights and Fogs, Two Bros Black series

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Whenever I had problems on the road with codes I would turn the key off and on three times to clear the codes, pull the key arms length, and try again. If anything was really wrong the codes would come back...which they didn't. These things have been known to have brain farts. Maybe some would disapprove of my methods but its survival and no tow. Do the math.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Pull the key

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    Whenever I had problems on the road with codes I would turn the key off and on three times to clear the codes, pull the key arms length, and try again. If anything was really wrong the codes would come back...which they didn't. These things have been known to have brain farts. Maybe some would disapprove of my methods but its survival and no tow. Do the math.
    Yep. Got an orange screen yesterday. DESS error. Did the same thing. Pulled the key...put it back in and the bike started. Ran the rest of the day with no issues. Computer just needed re-booting. Why??? Any bodies guess. It's a computer. nuff said!

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    So when you do the key cycle, do you turn it quickly on and off or wait until the screen boots and then turn off?

I mainly did the sequence of waiting about 5 minutes and restarting and everything was good until I shut it off and then restarted. It went into Limp mode 3 seperate times in the same day so my best guess was that it had a problem. Not just a quirk.

Spyder Garage

I have seen.

Turn key off and on three times, five times, six times.
    Remove the key and walk away a minimum of 10 ft, 20 ft, 30 ft and a very strongly worded 35 ft.
    Remove the key 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 30 minutes and 40 minutes.
    Disconnect the battery and touch the negative positive leads together.
    Disconnect the battery and wait an hour.
    Never leave your key in the ignition and all problems will go away.

Bottom line it is all BS and just a waste of your time and effort. Fixing the problem that caused the fault in most cases will change the fault to occured. Turning the ignition off for 30 seconds may change the state of some types of faults from active to occured. Some types of faults will change state after a period of time. Some brake faults need to reset by a procedure. Some heat faults will go away after it cools down. There is no magic happy dance set of steps that will fix every fault no matter the cause. There is never any reason you have to remove the key from the ignition for any length of time or any distance to fix anything. What was the fault? What caused the fault? Once you know those 2 things then you know the best way to deal with it. Maybe it was a one off. Who knows. But because someone told you the stand beside your Spyder and dance the Funky Chicken. It worked for them. Does not mean it is good advice.

Sorry I did my rant in your thread.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DOING THE FUNKY CHICKEN

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I have seen.

Turn key off and on three times, five times, six times.
    Remove the key and walk away a minimum of 10 ft, 20 ft, 30 ft and a very strongly worded 35 ft.
    Remove the key 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 30 minutes and 40 minutes.
    Disconnect the battery and touch the negative positive leads together.
    Disconnect the battery and wait an hour.
    Never leave your key in the ignition and all problems will go away.

Bottom line it is all BS and just a waste of your time and effort. Fixing the problem that caused the fault in most cases will change the fault to occured. Turning the ignition off for 30 seconds may change the state of some types of faults from active to occured. Some types of faults will change state after a period of time. Some brake faults need to reset by a procedure. Some heat faults will go away after it cools down. There is no magic happy dance set of steps that will fix every fault no matter the cause. There is never any reason you have to remove the key from the ignition for any length of time or any distance to fix anything. What was the fault? What caused the fault? Once you know those 2 things then you know the best way to deal with it. Maybe it was a one off. Who knows. But because someone told you the stand beside your Spyder and dance the Funky Chicken. It worked for them. Does not mean it is good advice.

Sorry I did my rant in your thread.
    This BS line ( slightly different wording ) is what .....BRP ..... is giving out ......Mike

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jroberts650 View Post
    So when you do the key cycle, do you turn it quickly on and off or wait until the screen boots and then turn off?

I mainly did the sequence of waiting about 5 minutes and restarting and everything was good until I shut it off and then restarted. It went into Limp mode 3 seperate times in the same day so my best guess was that it had a problem. Not just a quirk.
    About 1 second per on/off is sufficient. Key needs to be about arms length away to lose comm with the antenna. Wait for your headlamps to cycle off, or longer. Get off the bike and do the Irish jig if you wish. I did it once and it worked but I suspect it wasn't because of the jig although I am sure the CHP officer in front of me citing a driver was wondering what I was doing. LOL

I am no guru like so many are on the forum apparently. I just relate my experiences which a forum is all about.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

Dealer called and said the problem is with the throttle body. Waiting on a call from BRP on whether to clean or replace the TB. And if they will authorize a goodwill repair. Emissions warranty is out so no chance there.

Will know before close today or first thing in the morning.

Spyder Garage

BRP finally called today and said they would cover the entire throttle body but I had to pay for the labor. Not too bad, I'm glad they agreed to step in at all.

Only bad part, it will be a week to a week and a half for the part to come from Canada but at least it should run like a new machine.

Spyder Garage

Dealer called yesterday and said everything is ready to go. it will be Tuesday before I can pick it up but I am so ready. No problems with the install or updating everything. Had them look at the belt tension while there and was told it didn't even register on the scale. They tightened the belt and hopefully that cures some of the vibrations in the pegs. Glad I had it done, that could have been a problem down the road.
    Will update on the way it runs now with the new throttle body. Service said it's like a different machine now after their initial test ride to diagnose.

Spyder Garage

For all we spent that should be standard practice...
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

, and Thanks for letting us know the outcome!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Update*

Picked up spyder from dealer yesterday. Drove 65 miles home and it ran great. Seems to have a little more pick up and runs smoother. Start up is easier plus no stumble or hesitation when restarting hot. Belt was adjusted also. Only thing, belt is against rear pulley flange. Making a little whining due to the rubbing so I'll have to move it over a mm or so. But all in all, I'm pretty happy.

Plus it seems to shift better. Quieter into 1st. It was a little lazy shifting sometimes. Must be due to the old TPS was a little out of wack.
    Last edited by jroberts650; 08-03-2016 at 11:09 AM.