Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Recurring limp home mode, *** Update

Well, had her for 2 years and finally a problem has reared its head, codes P2620 and P1120.

Stared when we were about 80 miles from home and we stopped by a state park to cool off. After about 30 min we started up and was on our way when the limp home warning came in and the bike shut down. Checked the codes and it relates to the throttle position sensor. We let it sit for about 10 minutes and restarted and everything was fine. Went about another 30 miles and stopped to eat and after restarting she shut down again. Again it ran great all the way home after resetting for 10 minutes.

Is this the dreaded case for having the throttle body replaced? My service but said if the sensor is bad you have to change the whole TB. I had the scoops installed for the heat issues last fall and everything was up to date according to BUDS.

Any suggestions before taking it in?
    Last edited by jroberts650; 08-03-2016 at 11:07 AM.
    2010 RT Audio and Convience SE5, wider vented windshield, XM radio, digital voltmeter, K&N filter, LED turn signal strips, ISCI floorboards, Lamonster LED Headlights and Fogs, Two Bros Black series

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

FAULT CODE: P2620

MODULE: ECM (Engine Control Module)

DESCRIPTION: Throttle Accelerator Sensors (TPS) position

POSSIBLE CAUSE: Wrong TPS sensor position

SERVICE ACTION: Check TPS adjustment.

FAULT CODE: P1120

DESCRIPTION: Wrong Throttle Accelerator Sensor (TPS) position

POSSIBLE CAUSE: Wrong TPS sensor position.Both TPS position failed test.

Now you know where to tell the dealer to start looking...
    It sounds as if it needs replacement.
    Good Luck!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 07-02-2016 at 05:41 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    FAULT CODE: P2620

DESCRIPTION: Throttle Accelerator Sensors (TPS) position

POSSIBLE CAUSE: Wrong TPS sensor position

FAULT CODE: P1120

DESCRIPTION: Wrong Throttle Accelerator Sensor (TPS) position

POSSIBLE CAUSE: Wrong TPS sensor position.Both TPS position failed test.

Now you know where to tell the dealer to start looking...
    It sounds as if it needs replacement.
    Good Luck!
    Yeah, I told him the codes and he pretty much said that something was up with the sensor Or throttle body. He said he hasn't had to change but a handful on 2010 models. Do you have to change the whole TB or can just the sensor be changed?
    2010 RT Audio and Convience SE5, wider vented windshield, XM radio, digital voltmeter, K&N filter, LED turn signal strips, ISCI floorboards, Lamonster LED Headlights and Fogs, Two Bros Black series

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had both changed on my 2010 RT. These codes are only pointing the finger at the T.P.S.

Spyder Garage

I had both changed on my 2010 RT. These codes are only pointing the finger at the T.P.S.
    Ok, hopefully so because I know the TB replacement will be expensive. I had read one post where the dealer reset the TPS with BUDS and all was good. Said the sensor didn't reset all the way or had gotten out of sync for some reason. Do you think disconnecting the battery will clear the computer and reset everything?

Spyder Garage

They reset the TPS on my 2010 RT by using BUDS. No issues thereafter. My main issues were hard starting when hot. No limp modes happened.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    They reset the TPS on my 2010 RT by using BUDS. No issues thereafter. My main issues were hard starting when hot. No limp modes happened.
    I the same issue with starting hot. I have a terrible habit of twisting the throttle about 1/8" and hitting the start button so it doesn't stumble when it is hot. Perhaps this is why I'm having a problem. Because I did do this 2 times before the problem happened.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jroberts650 View Post
    I the same issue with starting hot. I have a terrible habit of twisting the throttle about 1/8" and hitting the start button so it doesn't stumble when it is hot. Perhaps this is why I'm having a problem. Because I did do this 2 times before the problem happened.
    If you are doing a throttle crank and start--recommend throttle open all the way. It is supposed to clear out the gas if you are flooded. The EFI will kick in with no throttle if its working right.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    If you are doing a throttle crank and start--recommend throttle open all the way. It is supposed to clear out the gas if you are flooded. The EFI will kick in with no throttle if its working right.
    I just do that so it basically gives it a little has so it doesn't stumble and make it hard to start when it's hot.

Spyder Garage

I also had a spare key that I had cloned hidden on the spyder under the Tupperware beside the airbox. Could it have been close enough to the ignition to cause a the problem?

Spyder Garage

I also had a spare key that I had cloned hidden on the spyder under the Tupperware beside the airbox. Could it have been close enough to the ignition to cause a the problem?
    No.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Ok, I talked to my service guy again and he suggested resetting the TPS sensor with BUDS. So I'm going to take it in and give it a try. If not he said that it's possible they could try to get a goodwill fix to replace the TB. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Spyder Garage

I just do that so it basically gives it a little has so it doesn't stumble and make it hard to start when it's hot.
    On EFI systems the ECM determines the optimum settings for starting based on it's various sensors. Operator input is usually not required and can sometimes make the situation more difficult.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Default Not terrible

But is a bad ( unnecessary) habit on fuel injection engines , the TPS and ECM will do what's needed if working properly. It's like the tendency for some to immediately rev the engine after starting it ... Makes you feel good maybe but doesn't help

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    But is a bad ( unnecessary) habit on fuel injection engines , the TPS and ECM will do what's needed if working properly. It's like the tendency for some to immediately rev the engine after starting it ... Makes you feel good maybe but doesn't help
    Yeah, I agree. I feel like doing that has possibly got the TPS setting off and now it's causing me problems. Hopefully a reset by BUDS will get me going.

Spyder Garage

Please be sure to let us know whether the BUDS reset resolves the issue.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McNally View Post
    Please be sure to let us know whether the BUDS reset resolves the issue.
    I definitely Will do. I'm hoping i will be able to get it in this week but won't know until Tuesday.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

That's the same thing that started happening on my wife's 2010 RTS. And we were 700 miles from home. It finally went into permanent limp mode. It was the throttle body. She ended up with a 2014 RTS for the trip home.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    That's the same thing that started happening on my wife's 2010 RTS. And we were 700 miles from home. It finally went into permanent limp mode. It was the throttle body. She ended up with a 2014 RTS for the trip home.
    Wow, did you decide to not worry about the fix and just trade up? Wouldn't it have been cheaper to replace the part?

Spyder Garage

Hoping I can convince my service dept to try to get my a repair on the TB or TPS on goodwill from BRP. They did this when i had the scoops installed for the heat issue. Anyone have any tips on how to maybe obtain a goodwill fix easier?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bring Donuts to the dealership...

Spyder Garage

Bring Donuts to the dealership...
    Lol! I'll bring 5 dozen it will help!

Spyder Garage

Well she's in the shop now. Service said that with my mileage that anything to do with the TB or TPS should fall under the emissions warranty. Good news to hear. Was told that it would be assessed in the morning and will be informed on what BRP will have them replace. Hopefully it will be the whole TB assembly so I wont have to worry anymore about it. Bad news is, it probably won't be ready next week for our mountain trip so looks as if we'll be taking the car.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You could ask them if they've got a loaner bike...
    (It never hurts to ask! )