Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default We are alright, the ST is another story

Turning onto the end of our road at the end of an awesome ride today we were doing about 5mph when the back end of the bike launched us upward. Apparently the floorboard broke and caught the road, or caught the road and broke. Either way, the back of the bike is all bent up. I was able to coast it down the road and push it into my shop but it looks really bad, and the week off to have as ride time with the wife has just gone down the tubes. Brenda and I are both fine, but the new tire I just installed last night won't be doing us any good.

Just bummin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad you and the wife are okay. Are you sure you didn't have an issue with the rear tire?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default st story

Pic please, what do you think made it break

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh man... I'm really glad to hear that you both are okay!
    The bike can be fixed or replaced later.
    You both are probably going to be plenty sore tomorrow. (Once the adrenalin rush is used up...)
    Keep the painkiller bottle nearby, and take it easy...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Oh man... I'm really glad to hear that you both are okay!
    The bike can be fixed or replaced later.
    You both are probably going to be plenty sore tomorrow. (Once the adrenalin rush is used up...)
    Keep the painkiller bottle nearby, and take it easy...
    x2

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Glad you are both relatively okay. I'm sure you know that ice is your friend after an injury. Good luck. Hope the damage to your spyder is not to extensive.

Spyder Garage

Good to hear you are both ok!
    I would have to take a wild guess and say that you probably somehow bottomed out and caught the floor board?? I put 22000 miles on our ST before I traded it and the floor boards are not a weak spot. They are attached really well.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

Glad you both ok... Hope you get it sorted out😊
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Glad you both are ok. Could have been much worse! Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the well wishes. I am thinking the bottom of the floorboard caught, but I do not know how. The bike is insured, but the ride time is lost. There appears to be no issue with the tire, as we already had over 200 miles on it before this happened. I looked at it a little closer and noticed that It looks like the back end is all twisted, the tail lights and luggage are off kilter, and the body panels on the left side are damaged. I hope we don't have to wait too long to get it back. After all, there is a certain rally in Lake George we plan on attending.

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer...

Really sorry to hear about this misfortune but glad you are both alright. Not the time for twenty questions but when you figure it out would be nice to know what might have caused this. Hope it is an easy fix sometimes it looks worse than it is....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Glad Your Safe

Wow Glad all are safe.

2016 Spyder F3 Limited Special Series

Spyder Garage

Did you go through a pot hole to make it catch? I can't picture how this happen.

Spyder Garage

The ST seems to have a very low ground clearance, I noticed this when we unloaded it off the trailer. I don't think that the clearance was what caused the problem, I think it was NY State roads to be honest. The shocks on the machine are all in good working order, the tires are set to recommended pressures. I hope the damage is not so bad that we can't get it fixed. We got a heck of a deal on it, and it really is a very good daily rider. In the last two months we have put over 4000 miles on it, even with the two of us working full time. Progressive said that I will be called by the insurance adjuster on Tuesday. The worst part about the whole thing is that I have all next week off and was planning on doing some riding with my wife. I am going to cross my fingers and hope that if it is going to take a while maybe Ingles in Phoenix NY will be able to set me up with a loaner for the week we have off. I am not going to plan on it though.

Two things I thought of last night:

SpyderAnn01: I would not have put the machine back on the road if the tire was not right. I worked in a tire shop for several years and am not a novice when it comes to tires.

Mike: I don't know where your comment about post replies came from. I always reply to messages, and if a post requires a response I post. I will PM you so that we can discuss the rest.

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

Every time I take my spyder to Ingles, Mike asks if I want to use the loaner; but, I always refuse. Of course I'm just talking a couple hours; I'm not sure how long he'd really let the loaner out for, or how many he has. Good luck though; can't hurt to ask.

Spyder Garage

I was having my ST bottom out regularly before I got my Elka shocks. Once I came to a place where there was road construction and it was hard to see and I could feel the floorboards hit the ground. Also the right floorboard has a feature where on panic stops it will break loose and the whole front of the floorboard will drop several inches. Since I got the Elkas I have not had any more bottom outs. Sorry to hear about your mishap.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by otter28169 View Post
    Thanks for all the well wishes. I am thinking the bottom of the floorboard caught, but I do not know how. The bike is insured, but the ride time is lost. There appears to be no issue with the tire, as we already had over 200 miles on it before this happened. I looked at it a little closer and noticed that It looks like the back end is all twisted, the tail lights and luggage are off kilter, and the body panels on the left side are damaged.
    To have that much damage, it seems as though you had to have hit something fairly big, or a pothole that was fairly deep. You didn't see anything on the road that caused it?

In any event, I hope they get it all worked out favorably for you.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If it's BRP's "breakaway" design: I don't know how they could drop THAT low. (Unless some really HORRIBLE mis-alignment of the Stars occurred...) Did you feel the board drop out from underneath your foot?

Spyder Garage

That's what I'm thinking may have happened. The break away can be triggered by a bottom out. And then you are basically like a pole vaulter planting his pole.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that if we got some accurate measurements from a board-equipped ST owner; it would help.
    I just measured the clearance on my RT's board, when it is dropped. 5.5" from the leading edge, to the ground.
    I didn't see anything that would keep it from rotating fully-downward. (Other than the stops that BRP designed) I suppose that if they failed; the board might over-rotate...
    If it managed to do that: you should have noticed that event.
    A really deep pothole??

Spyder Garage

On an ST, you really dont need a deep pothole, especially when you are riding 2 up with the extra weight. There is a metal piece that hangs lower than everything else that is part of that mechanism. If you push or pull, I cant remember it instantly drops the floorboard. In a perfect storm, if the dropped floorboard plants, you are launched into the air. It would happen so fast, you wont know for sure how it happened.
    2017 F3 Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just push the brake pedal all the way down, and add a little bit more pressure: it'll drop!

Spyder Garage

20160703_093420.jpg

The brass colored piece on the left is the trigger. Push it toward the rear of the bike and the floor will drop.
    Last edited by AY4B; 07-03-2016 at 11:02 AM.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

This is what the floorboard looks like when you pull that trigger which theoretically can be done by the ground in a perfect storm. The black piece of metal is supposed to guard against that.20160703_093517.jpg
    Last edited by AY4B; 07-03-2016 at 11:04 AM.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Glad mine doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Just push the brake pedal all the way down, and add a little bit more pressure: it'll drop!
    It that's all it takes, I'm glad mine doesn't work.

Mine has NEVER done that. I've tried to trigger it that way, and even by stomping on the brake pedal, but the floorboard simply won't ever release. OTOH, I can physically reach underneath it and push on the latch and it will drop. I asked my dealer once, when it was in for maintenance, why my break-away floorboard wouldn't break away. They said "everything looked normal". I seem to have plenty of clearance for my brake pedal above the floorboard, and if the fluid gets even a little low, you get all kinds of nasty warnings on the dash display, so I just stopped worrying about it. (If it ever does come unlatched, it'd only drop down about an inch anyway before my REVCO highway peg bar would come to rest on the air deflector in front of the floor board.)
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat