Spyder Garage

Default Any reliable and trustworthy dealers in SE Michigan

Does anyone know of a GOOD place to take my Spyder RT to in the Metro Detroit area for maintenance and service work? I am not sure about using one of the locals to me, especially when I called about what they charged to program a blank key for a 2010, and they told me that you don't have to program it for a 2010, just for newer 2014 and above.

Spyder Garage

That's true what they said. A 2010 doesn't need the dealer to clone the chip in the key. Many have gone to other places like Ace, or a locksmith to get it done.

Spyder Garage

I purchased my 2014 RT from Ray C's in Lapeer and they have done all my scheduled maintenance. I have not had any problems with them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Culpjp View Post
    That's true what they said. A 2010 doesn't need the dealer to clone the chip in the key. Many have gone to other places like Ace, or a locksmith to get it done.
    Every dealer that I have talked to except this one, has told me that it has to be programmed. Even talked to Pitbull Powersports, in Springfield, MO (supposedly the biggest Spyder dealer in U.S.), and they saidn o matter what year of Spyder you have, they all have to be programmed. I just called a locksmith and he told me they don't do that.

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveandBelinda View Post
    Does anyone know of a GOOD place to take my Spyder RT to in the Metro Detroit area for maintenance and service work? I am not sure about using one of the locals to me, especially when I called about what they charged to program a blank key for a 2010, and they told me that you don't have to program it for a 2010, just for newer 2014 and above.
    Right or wrong here is my experience, and the dealer is Johnny K's in Lodi, Ohio.
    I only had one key, the service manager who is very knowledgable an i trust him, right or wrong, to me to get a key from his parts department, take that to a locksmith to cut, bring it back an they charged $35 to program. I am sure that it is a money maker for them, but it was done and done right, while the benefit to me far exceeded the price. Took a bit of time, but hey, I got a few more miles logged on the Spyder this way.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    Right or wrong here is my experience, and the dealer is Johnny K's in Lodi, Ohio.
    I only had one key, the service manager who is very knowledgable an i trust him, right or wrong, to me to get a key from his parts department, take that to a locksmith to cut, bring it back an they charged $35 to program. I am sure that it is a money maker for them, but it was done and done right, while the benefit to me far exceeded the price. Took a bit of time, but hey, I got a few more miles logged on the Spyder this way.

Joe
    Yea, they want 50 one place, 55 at another, and 109 at the other one 20 miles away, and that is just to program it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveandBelinda View Post
    Yea, they want 50 one place, 55 at another, and 109 at the other one 20 miles away, and that is just to program it.
    I just had it done about 2 months ago at Rosenau Powersports in Dearborn Heights. Between the the cost of the key and the labor it costed about $160.00 there to get a key replaced on my 2014 RT-S.
    Andy S. a.k.a. SpyderRT

2014 Black RT-S with SE6, Tri-Axis handlebars, Rear Trunk liner and shelf, Travel Cover, Heated Comfort seat, Driver Backrest, Akrapovic Silencer, 25 inch Adjustable Vent windshield, Adjustable Side Wind deflectors. BajaRon Swaybar and links. KOTT grills.