Spyder Garage

Default Mutazu bags repair done

Took a little to do, but done. Went to the hardware store and picked up the needed hardware to repair it. Found out that the piece that is mounted to the bracket to hold the bags on is metal. Also the 2 allen head screws are tack welded to the bracket. Had to break the weld to get them out. Wished they had made the latch part on the bags out or metal also. Anyway here is some pictures with the repair. I painted all black once I was finished with the repair. Only picture I didn't take is where the 2 allen head screws was I added 2 more bolts on each bag. r1.JPGr2.JPGr3.JPGr4.JPG
    Will see how they hold up. Only time and Spyderfest will know. I did remove the rubber bumpers so the bag fit tighter against the mounting bracket.
    David
    Last edited by Warlock; 04-15-2017 at 02:49 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THESE MUTAZA BAGS

........... Nice job , however I have a set and looking at mine I'm not sure what exactly you did to fix the problem ......... If I understood the problem as stated in your first post on this ...... nothing ACTUALLY - BROKE !!!! ..... just the " attachment catch " on the case came loose from the Bracket attached to the Spyder ???? ..... or is this not what happened ????? ............... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ........... Nice job , however I have a set and looking at mine I'm not sure what exactly you did to fix the problem ......... If I understood the problem as stated in your first post on this ...... nothing ACTUALLY - BROKE !!!! ..... just the " attachment catch " on the case came loose from the Bracket attached to the Spyder ???? ..... or is this not what happened ????? ............... Mike
    Here is the picture of the broke latch on my right bag. It is the part that moves down to release the bag from the mounting bracket. What I did is mount the bag to the brace and did away with the ability to release it from the bracket.latchbroke.jpgI looked at the left bag and part of the plastic latch had broken off. So I used the clips to hold the bags against the bracket. I left the two bottom pieces for the bag to rest on.
    David

Spyder Garage

Looks good and you should be fine. I checked mine again and no sign of wear. I will probably add this to my regular check list and if I hear of others having the problem look at remaking the bag side out of metal or a solid piece of pfte.

CJ JAX

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    Took a little to do, but done. Went to the hardware store and picked up the needed hardware to repair it. Found out that the piece that is mounted to the bracket to hold the bags on is metal. Also the 2 allen head screws are tack welded to the bracket. Had to break the weld to get them out. Wished they had made the latch part on the bags out or metal also. Anyway here is some pictures with the repair. I painted all black once I was finished with the repair. Only picture I didn't take is where the 2 allen head screws was I added 2 more bolts on each bag. r1.JPGr2.JPGr3.JPGr4.JPG
    Will see how they hold up. Only time and Spyderfest will know. I did remove the rubber bumpers so the bag fit tighter against the mounting bracket.
    David

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zuni View Post
    Looks good and you should be fine. I checked mine again and no sign of wear. I will probably add this to my regular check list and if I hear of others having the problem look at remaking the bag side out of metal or a solid piece of pfte.

CJ JAX
    It was the piece that was in the bag that broke. I sent Mutazu a e-mail seeing if any replacement parts can be purchased. Mine locked really good until the piece broke. Have ridden over some pretty rough roads. It would be nice to replace the piece with a better material. I kept the rubber bumpers and the metal latch just in case I can replace the internal piece of the bag. Started to take them apart, but with Spyderfest coming up decided to go this route. I feel they are mounted alot better now and don't have to worry about the latch breaking while on a trip. I still have a major project to complete on the Spyder before spyderfest. Parts coming in next week to attempt installing my own belt tensioner. Haven't post anything on it yet, till installed and a good test running it to Spyderfest.
    David

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default LATCH DEFECT -------- ANOTHER POSSIBLE FIX

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    It was the piece that was in the bag that broke. I sent Mutazu a e-mail seeing if any replacement parts can be purchased. Mine locked really good until the piece broke. Have ridden over some pretty rough roads. It would be nice to replace the piece with a better material. I kept the rubber bumpers and the metal latch just in case I can replace the internal piece of the bag. Started to take them apart, but with Spyderfest coming up decided to go this route. I feel they are mounted alot better now and don't have to worry about the latch breaking while on a trip. I still have a major project to complete on the Spyder before spyderfest. Parts coming in next week to attempt installing my own belt tensioner. Haven't post anything on it yet, till installed and a good test running it to Spyderfest.
    David
    David - now I understand it better Thanks ............ I'm a DIY'er and my thoughts on a fix are this..... mounting a large NUT ( welded ) onto the Mounting Bracket ( which is attached to the Spyder frame ) Then drilling a HOLE ( sealed with a grommet ) thru the hard case ( bag ) so you could put a bolt into that NUT from the inside of the bag....... No way can the Bag come off the Latch mechanism !!!! .... what say you !!!! ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 04-15-2017 at 11:24 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    David - now I understand it better Thanks ............ I'm a DIY'er and my thoughts on a fix are this..... mounting a large NUT ( welded ) onto the Mounting Bracket ( which is attached to the Spyder frame ) Then drilling a HOLE ( sealed with a grommet ) thru the hard case ( bag ) so you could but a bolt into that NUT from the inside of the bag....... No way can the Bag come off the Latch mechanism !!!! .... what say you !!!! ..... Mike
    That would be a good repair also. I can always come back later and add this as a way to make them still removable. Might even be able to make a pin which could have a clip on it. I know leatherlyke makes a system close to what I am talking about. Thanks for mentioning the bolt. Before I had both of my knees replaced a year ago I was a chief mechanic offshore. I could have built several things. I had milling machines, lathes, and just about endless material. We had to sometimes make parts out there to keep things going.
    David

Spyder Garage

Default Added more support

I added a couple of pins to each bag for some more support on holding the bags to the brackets. I haven't had any problem with the latch but this should keep them on if something does. And they can still easily be removed.IMG_0395.jpgIMG_0396.jpgIMG_0397.jpg
    2013 STS , OEM Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fetermel View Post
    I added a couple of pins to each bag for some more support on holding the bags to the brackets. I haven't had any problem with the latch but this should keep them on if something does. And they can still easily be removed.IMG_0395.jpgIMG_0396.jpgIMG_0397.jpg
    Looks good. I think the only thing that helped me is bag was empty. And got off the road very quickly. My electric wire helped from damage.
    David

Spyder Garage

Unhappy Matuzu bags fail

I am going to be a bearer of bad news here. A fellow rider and I have had this brand of bags (2 different models) on 2 different bikes. Each involved different attachments. Each failed to the point of being beyond any further repair. Best of luck to you with yours. This is the only company I have ever had such a totally negative experience with any product, motorcycle or not.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Yu View Post
    I am going to be a bearer of bad news here. A fellow rider and I have had this brand of bags (2 different models) on 2 different bikes. Each involved different attachments. Each failed to the point of being beyond any further repair. Best of luck to you with yours. This is the only company I have ever had such a totally negative experience with any product, motorcycle or not.
    That's why I mounted mine this way. If they break now and the brackets are still good I will just mount some different bags on it. They aren't made real good, but will see how they hold up with the way I have them mounted now.
    David