Thread: 2nd Oil Change

Spyder Garage

Default 2nd Oil Change

At 8500 miles on the F3 I was ready for a oil and filter change. The first was done by the dealer and rather than spending the better part of a day there I decided that I would do it myself. I ordered a cleanable oil filter from K & P Engineering, a set of drain plugs from Dimple, oil change kit from Baja Ron and Amsoil from my local bike store. Today was the day, got the bike raised so as to have better access to the drain plugs. Removed the trans plug first was surprised at the amount of metal on the magnetic. I don't think this is normal, will take and show dealer. Glad I made the decision to do it myself not to mention I now have a magnetic drain plug for the engine oil side.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Wow, That does seem to be alot of metal! Let us know what they say...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default METAL PARTICLES

Quote Originally Posted by bbodah View Post
    Wow, That does seem to be alot of metal! Let us know what they say...
    ...........There is SOOOOOOOOO much metal ..........my concern would be did the dealer " REALLY CHANGE THE OIL THE FIRST TIME " ?????? ..... This why I do ALL my own servicing ....when I changed the oil on my 1330 at 2000 miles there wasn't anywhere near that many particles ......jmho.....Mike

Spyder Garage

It seems to be the norm around here. Here is mine, 2nd oil change at 3600 miles, first one done by dealer at 600. I will be doing the rest myself to keep an eye on it.
    I sent this pic to my dealer and BRP, and was assured it was normal. I said I don't agree but now it's documented.
    I ordered dimple plugs for the next change. I used Amsoil on this change, I may go back to the yellow bottle of BRP just in case I have an issue down the road.Although it seems to shift smoother with the Amsoil.

20160620_120623.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default I did the first oil change---------

@ 3200 miles on my F3-S. Had very little metal on the transmission drain plug and what was there was all super fine. Replaced both plugs with a set of Gold Plugs and used Amsoil on the refill. Time will tell what shows up at next oil change, which I suspect will be just before winter shut down.
    Bob

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehole View Post
    @ 3200 miles on my F3-S. Had very little metal on the transmission drain plug and what was there was all super fine. Replaced both plugs with a set of Gold Plugs and used Amsoil on the refill. Time will tell what shows up at next oil change, which I suspect will be just before winter shut down.
    I had a similar experience when I did the first oil change at ~3100 miles on the wife's F3-T - just enough fine shavings to cover the tip of the magnetic plug. Also saw the same on my F3-S on its second oil change at around 11,500 miles. Wish I had heard about the Gold Plugs before I did those oil changes!
    - Carl

2017 Can Am F3-L (current ryde)
    2015 Can Am F3-S (previous ryde)
    2012 BMW K1600 (previous ride)
    2016 Can Am F3-T (wife's)

Spyder Garage

My first thought was the dealer didn't remove the drain plugs at first service due to the amount of metal on the plug, they said they did so there you go. Stopped by the dealer today and showed them the picture both techs said that it is normal. If this is normal I would question the material BRP is using to make their gears, continued metal on the drain plug would indicate, at least to me, that there is a problem. I think I will remove the trans plug in a 1000 miles to check for metal on the plug, should only loose about 1/2 qt of oil.