Spyder Garage

Default Helmet headset- Bluetooth or Wired

I just bought a 2010 RT. It has all the bells and whistles except for the push button rear suspension. It's manual on that.
    Anyway the bike has am/fm/cb, and connection in front for wired headset, and the rear has the passenger controls for the back w/wired hookup connection.
    The dilemna is that the helmets that were given to me when I bought the bike last week are matching in color, and make, but that's about it. My heltmet is wired for connecting to the bike. The other one is not a wired headset, but Sena SMH10 bluetooth. So me and my wife cannot talk since I am wired to the bike and she is not. Also, I can listen to the radio and cb on my headset and she cannot.
    I can either buy another bluetooth and install on my helmet, and that will be around $200. +, and my wife and I can communcate, but neither one of us will not be able to utilize the built in stereo and cb, on the bike, unless we also purchase a bluetooth dongle for about $250. extran and pay to have it installed.
    Or I can take the bluetooth set off of my wife's helmet. and install a wired headset in hers for $100-200.
    Any suggestions?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Hard wire your wife's helmet. I have the Sena blue tooth headsets on both our helmets and the dongle for the cb. It works great, but I am constantly having to "pair" the headsets to each other or to whatever piece of equipment with which I want to communicate. As I said, it works great, but if all you need to do is wire one helmet, I would do that. Much cheaper and does everything you want. The nice thing about the Sena is I can listen to the GPS directions, answer the phone, listen to music or talk radio through my iPhone, talk to my wife and any other riders nearby with blue tooth.
    I would not go back to wired, but that is a big money difference.
    Best of luck with your final decision.
    GD
    2015 RT Limited , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

If you already have the factory CB you have the intercom and the headset wires built in to that unit. If that is the case I would go with the hard wired headsets. Good prices at Sierra Electronics

www.sierra-mc.com/

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you change your headset to BT you won't be able to use the CB, so you'd be better off to change your wife's headset. Take a look at offerings from Edsets.com. That's what I use.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

One thing I don't understand is, why can't I hear the GPS through my headset. Setting are to headset, not external speakers, so the radio comes out over my headset, but the GPS voice comes out over the speakers. And I haven't been able to get anything out of the CB. Not sure what channel truckers use anymore.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveandBelinda View Post
    One thing I don't understand is, why can't I hear the GPS through my headset. Setting are to headset, not external speakers, so the radio comes out over my headset, but the GPS voice comes out over the speakers. And I haven't been able to get anything out of the CB. Not sure what channel truckers use anymore.
    The only thing I can suggest at this point is for you to tell us what all settings you have in the audio section of the preferences screens. Then maybe we can figure it out. Do you have any idea what year your CB was manufactured? Early CBs had problems I think.

Truckers still use channel 19 but the traffic on there is pretty light nowadays.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    The only thing I can suggest at this point is for you to tell us what all settings you have in the audio section of the preferences screens. Then maybe we can figure it out. Do you have any idea what year your CB was manufactured? Early CBs had problems I think.

Truckers still use channel 19 but the traffic on there is pretty light nowadays.
    In the audio setting: External Speakers- set to OFF
    Headset- set to MIX
    CB- set to DX
    Don't know year of CB
    Last edited by SteveandBelinda; 06-30-2016 at 12:26 PM.

Spyder Garage

Here's a thought. I want to still use all the bike has to offer, with out the hassle of connecting and disconnecting the wire. From what I understand, if I switch to bluetooth, all that stuff can't be used anymore, because I am not wired to the bike.
    I watched a video by Motorcycle Dave, where he has made a wire with connections that I can still use all the bike has to offer, except the CB, which is a loss, but no big deal. Here is the way it works:
    1. I go ahead and buy 2 new Sena 10s headsets
    2. I also purchase a Sena SM10 dongle
    3. I buy the wire w/ connectors from him
    4. I remove bike radio from under the right passenger audio control panel
    5. I connect one end of his wire to a connection port on the radio
    6. take seat back off, and drill hole in trunk to run other end of wire connectors through
    7. instal the Sena SM10 dongle in trunk, and hook the connectors to it.

Supposedly I can now use all the radio features of the bike through the bluetooth headsets, because the radio is going through the bluetooth dongle, along with all the features the headset has. I know that the headset has FM radio, but all the reviews on the radio portion of that headset aren't too good.

Does this sound like it will work as described. Would like advise before I buy the wire and dongle. I just purchased the headsets last night.

Spyder Garage

I guess I am not understanding what it is you are trying to gain. If your CB is the factory unit from Can Am you already have an intercom and you already have all the functionality of the audio system wired into your helmets including your CB. If you have the factory installed GPS system it should also go thru the audio system as well.. If it doesn't then either something is not set right or there is a problem. Now I am not familiar with the factory system other then what I mentioned in my post in your other thread. Maybe someone else who has the complete system as you do will come on and try to help you

You say you purchased the headsets last night so I guess you have kind of committed yourself. Personally if I had already had all that on my Spyder I would have gone with the wired headsets. To me that would have been the simplest end easiest. But that's me.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

When it is time to upgrade--I recommend going to a Bluetooth system. You are not wired to the bike, and that gives you the freedom to move about.

One forget to pull the plug, and you could damage your system.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I see on your other thread that you went ahead and bought the Bluetooth stuff at a good price. I think you will be happy with that setup - especially if you don't care so much about using the CB.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

I think this is the answer to why you can't hear the GPS in the helmet. My guess the original owner never had it done. BRP part# 219400317, CB antenna kit.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...0+wired+Garmin
    Last edited by stevedfive; 07-01-2016 at 06:33 PM.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    If you change your headset to BT you won't be able to use the CB, so you'd be better off to change your wife's headset. Take a look at offerings from Edsets.com. That's what I use.
    Another vote for Edsets.....great product and service.
    2016 RT Ltd. , Pearl White