Spyder Garage

Default 9,000 mile oil change and service

Just took my 2015 RTL to dealer for oil change, my oil, and recommended 9000 service. I was told that it was 4 hrs to do this. This seems excessive to me and I was just wondering if this is in line with others that have the 1330. I also need a new rear tire and was told that was 2 1/2 hrs to replace. Not complaining about tire life, 9700 miles, but again 2.5 hrs seems a lot. Just wanted to get your input about your experience with your dealership. Thx in advance for input.
    2015 RTSE, Red Pearl, Shorty Antenna, Chrome Rear Rack, Deer Whistles, BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Better get use to it or start learning how to do your own work. You are at their mercy just leave a blank check. Don't you have a couple dealers up there? We only have Ride Now, many take their bike to Vancouver, ProCalber.

If you have an extended warranty, you either have them do it or document really well that you are doing it. Look here for other options on a rear tire, unless you want only 9700 which is good, for that OEM tire, on the next one.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Yes have 3 dealerships. Got the Spyder at this dealership. Had the 3000 mi service and was very reasonable. Had a tire changed on my 13 about 11 - 12 months ago, different service manager, and was only charged an hour. Should have done my price checking before I left the byke. But I was still courious as to the hours other are being quoted.
    2015 RTSE, Red Pearl, Shorty Antenna, Chrome Rear Rack, Deer Whistles, BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Default 9000 miles service

Quote Originally Posted by Showie View Post
    Just took my 2015 RTL to dealer for oil change, my oil, and recommended 9000 service. I was told that it was 4 hrs to do this. This seems excessive to me and I was just wondering if this is in line with others that have the 1330. I also need a new rear tire and was told that was 2 1/2 hrs to replace. Not complaining about tire life, 9700 miles, but again 2.5 hrs seems a lot. Just wanted to get your input about your experience with your dealership. Thx in advance for input.
    Seriously doubt you will get a better price at pro caliber in Vancouver. However, they have a good reputation. I've not used them for service. Was quoted 480.00 for 3000 mile service so used someone else. However, for a regular oil change they might have a better price. A bit far from Spokane. As the other poster said, we pay or do it ourselves. I think many on the forum who do their own are spending at least four hours. Like anything else, the more you do,the easier and faster one becomes. Personally, I would rather be fishing/ reading/ kayaking ect. Doing the change yourself allows you check your trike and you know everything was done right. Damn, I love retirement. Best of luck.
    Pete

Spyder Garage

Yes have 3 dealerships. Got the Spyder at this dealership. Had the 3000 mi service and was very reasonable. Had a tire changed on my 13 about 11 - 12 months ago, different service manager, and was only charged an hour. Should have done my price checking before I left the byke. But I was still courious as to the hours other are being quoted.
    Nothing says you can't get prices from the other 2 and question this one, for the differences. I wouldn't let it just go, unless you carry KY with you. At least ask for a kiss.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2 1/2 hours to change the rear tire is excessive.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default 10,000

Our 2015 RT-s just hit 10'000. Tire is still good. Wonder if the center of your tire is worn and not the edges? Our 2013 rear tire wore out in the center at 8,000 useing old dealers recommend air pressure. Kurtz Motorsports is our new dealer . Has us running 23 pounds in the rear. Wearing evenly.
    Traded 2013 rt s se5 for pearl white 2015 RTS se6 .
    Gloryder hubs
    622 trailer
    bumpskid
    Wife and I have been a couple since 1980
    32 years of wedded bliss

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Some dealers claim 2 hours plus for an oil change. For an experienced tech this is a little long.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Just took my 2015 RTL to dealer for oil change, my oil, and recommended 9000 service.
    A question that may save some time on the apparent upcoming ox goring. You say 9,000 mile oil change. Do you mean 9,000 total miles on your odometer or 9,000 miles since the 3,000 mile oil change? If the former, you still have 3,300 miles before the oil change is due (pg. 120 of your operator's guide).

I agree with SpyderAnn on the price for the tire change alone. Does the 2 1/2 hours include a lunch break for the tech?
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WASTED TIME

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    A question that may save some time on the apparent upcoming ox goring. You say 9,000 mile oil change. Do you mean 9,000 total miles on your odometer or 9,000 miles since the 3,000 mile oil change? If the former, you still have 3,300 miles before the oil change is due (pg. 120 of your operator's guide).

I agree with SpyderAnn on the price for the tire change alone. Does the 2 1/2 hours include a lunch break for the tech?
    ....... sounds like Vultures , adding the time to go out and find the " road kill " for lunch

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My dealer charges for an hour's worth of labor: for either of those two chores.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Hi Showie,
    I take mine to Allsport, I usually just drop it off and come back the next day to pick it up. but I've been realy happy with the service I've gotten from them.
    2015 F3s White

BRP Drivers and Passenger backrest
    Blue Ridge windshield
    Corbin Saddle Bags

Spyder Garage

Default 9000 Mile Service

Showie

I was only charged 2.5 hrs for both the service and rear tire change at the same time at the CDA dealer, now that he moved to allsport I will probably look into costs there and compare.
    Greetings from Idaho

2014 RT-S,
    Barjaron swaybar, chome luggage rack, Ram Mount GPS, 12 volt dash outlet, spyderflap mudflap, Rivco flag mounts, drink2go and custom handlebar drink holders,Driver Backrest,Tri-Axis Handlebars, TRICLed turn signal lights. Custon Dynamic Magic Strobe Brake Modulator, Triple Dash Pouches, "Squared Away" Laser Alignment, Spyderpops Bumpskid, TricLed "Knightrider" LED

2014 RT , White (Mine) Cognac (wifes)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WellsboroSpyder View Post
    Our 2015 RT-s just hit 10'000. Tire is still good. Wonder if the center of your tire is worn and not the edges? Our 2013 rear tire wore out in the center at 8,000 useing old dealers recommend air pressure. Kurtz Motorsports is our new dealer . Has us running 23 pounds in the rear. Wearing evenly.
    The wear is probably on me. Put 7,000 miles on end of May and 1st of June. Charleston, SC and back. Had wife and pulled a trailer for about 1/2. Heat was high and I should have lowered rear pressure. Checked pressure in morning and all tires were good on FOBO. Once on the road in the heat I found out the rear tires would heat up 5+ degrees. Learned a lesson and a word to the wise check tires after about 1/2 an hour out on the road. Quite easy with FOBO or the alarm will sound if you keep bluetooth connected and in hearing range.

Spyder Garage

I know but put 7,000 hot miles during trip to SC and I needed a new rear tire anyways. More convienent to get both at same time, less down time.

Spyder Garage

Default OUCH

Excessive on all counts. IMHO....glad you had a wonderful trip..
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

assuming you had the oil changed at 3,000, your next oil change should be at 12,300.

The tire change should be ONE hour labor. Same with the oil change, however, the 9,300 mile service does include some additional inspections and minor services.

This why so many of us perform our own services.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

Default 9300 service

I just had my 9300 mile service done for $260. It is a 2 1/2 hour job. I also thought it was excessive, before I had the service done. It is more than an oil change & I took the advice I had seen here. I looked at the owners manuel & saw there was quite a bit more to this service. I could probably do most of it but my dealer did all all of it, correctly, on the first attempt.