Thread: Tips for buying

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Tips for buying

Finally going to get to go Spyder shopping Friday! I've been reading all I can for the last couple of months about Spyders but there is always more to learn.

First off, how many miles does a drive belt usually last? How much to replace one? Is it a do-it-yourself project? Besides brakes, oil/fluid leaks are there things to look for that aren't easy to spot? Would it be useful to ask for a Buds report on a bike? Is that how we would make sure that any recalls have been taken care of?

We'll probably be getting a 2010-2013 RT. I know the 2014's and newer have a bigger motor and a six speed but they are wanting almost new prices for them here. If we really like ryding as much as we hope, we'll get a new one in a couple of years.

Thanks for any help and suggestions you can give, Bob.

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Opinions

General thought among the membership is the 2012 model year was the 'better and preferred' year for the twin engine RT, You can search the Forum about heat issues, Throttle Body issues, etc. (model years 2010 - 2013).

DYI - depends entirely on the person. Myself, I don't do very much DYI on the Spyder (though I'm in the middle of remodel of our master bath - just finished putting down laminate flooring.) Remove/replace rear wheel not done properly will cause alignment issues plus worn bearing from improper tension of belt - and pre-wear of new belt and sprockets as well.

Have you made a few phone calls to the dealers that are sponsors here on SpyderLovers? May just have a 2014 with your name on it at a fair price. It sure has worked for others here.

Others will be adding information as well. Good luck in your hunt.

Don
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on "making the leap"!
    2012, and a 2013 that has had the heat-attenuation protocols implemented: would probably be the best place to look for a bike.
    A properly cared-for drive-belt will go for (perhaps) more miles than you will!
    If you buy from a dealer: definitely make sure that they check the V.I.N. in the system. This'll tell them, if all of the updates have been taken care of.
    A BUDS report isn't a bad idea; especially if they've got the bike plugged-in anyway!
    Happy Shopping!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

2011 or 2012 would be the years that I would recommend if you are looking for a used twin.

RE: Drive belt--should last over 50,000 miles if you don't get tangled up with rocks. About $350 to replace--including labor (not counting a tow). I have tangled with rocks and done it twice.

If your interested--I have a nice one for sale.

2011 RT SE5 (A & C) Audio and Convenience Package
    2011 SE5 Audio and Convenience Package

AkSpyderlady's 2011 is up for sale. Magnesium Silver--pictures posted below
    : I purchased it new in 2012.
    : It has 23,500 miles on it.
    : Put new tires all around this riding season.
    : Had a laser alignment about 2,000 miles ago. Still tracks like its on rails.
    : Has Seal PUP floorboards, a BRP Comfort seat, BRP driving lights, and a Custom Dynamics trunk light bar.

: Was serviced (oil/filter/checkover) at 21,600 miles.

This great rig is perfect mechanically and has no body damage of any kind.

It really, really has been driven by a nice lady, pretty much on weekends. Has been garaged when not used.

You might consider this as a fly and drive vacation pickup, take the long way back, or the ferry from Whittier to Washington.

Price lowered to $14,000.
    I can remove the Comfort seat and the Pup floorboards if you want to save an additional $500.

The farkles are not a consideration in my price. They come with the and you get them for free.

Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-29-2016 at 02:20 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

By aksyderman;

If your interested--I have a nice one for sale.
    That would be nice but a l but just a tad bit too far for a new Spyder ryder!

One more question before my wife and I go Spyder shopping tomorrow. What would you consider to be getting into "high mileage" territory? 25,000; 35,000; 40,000 miles? What would be your cutoff?

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerAnimal View Post
    Finally going to get to go Spyder shopping Friday! I've been reading all I can for the last couple of months about Spyders but there is always more to learn.

First off, how many miles does a drive belt usually last? How much to replace one? Is it a do-it-yourself project? Besides brakes, oil/fluid leaks are there things to look for that aren't easy to spot? Would it be useful to ask for a Buds report on a bike? Is that how we would make sure that any recalls have been taken care of?

We'll probably be getting a 2010-2013 RT. I know the 2014's and newer have a bigger motor and a six speed but they are wanting almost new prices for them here. If we really like ryding as much as we hope, we'll get a new one in a couple of years.

See if iMotorsports in the Chicago area has a 2014 or 2015. They will ship it too you for free or at least they were last August when I bought mine. . Link >>>http://www.imotorsportsinc.com/

Willie
    The Future is Not Today (Motorcycle Blog) http://nomadwillie.blogspot.com/ IBA 32847
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'll let others advise you, but I can't wait to hear what you end up with. Don't forget to follow-up and don't forget a pic!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

By aksyderman;

That would be nice but a l but just a tad bit too far for a new Spyder ryder!

One more question before my wife and I go Spyder shopping tomorrow. What would you consider to be getting into "high mileage" territory? 25,000; 35,000; 40,000 miles? What would be your cutoff?

Thanks!
    The jury is still out on what constitutes high mileage. SpyderAnn's 2014 now has 80,000 and is still running good. There have been a couple over 100K.

Me--30K or so is as high as I would go on a used. I want to be able to have 50K or more to put on before the clock shows 100K.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Dealer

You might try the dealer in Nashville Il. I've heard good things about them, and I found some really good deals around Labor Day.
    Just before the new year product line arrives.
    Monique,
    2016 F3t pearl white
    Ultimate driver back rest
    12v power outlet for batt. tender
    Doc Humphries' vibration damper
    factory floorboards
    added topcase

Spyder Garage

Really like your avatar! That just about sums up our feelings on a Spyder!

We've been checking out the dealer's websites as well as E-bay, Cycle Trader and here too. Seems like the good deals are half way across the country or they want your first born for a nice used one!

Took the Motorcycle Safety Foundation rider course a couple of weeks ago and got my license today, so NOW we can do more than stare and wish! Got all our ducks in a row, now just need to find the right one!

Spyder Garage

Here's to finding the perfect one at the prefect price.
    Monique,
    2016 F3t pearl white
    Ultimate driver back rest
    12v power outlet for batt. tender
    Doc Humphries' vibration damper
    factory floorboards
    added topcase

Spyder Garage

Good luck, hope you find one you're looking for.

Back in 2014 me and the missus went to a local dealer just to test drive to make sure that's what we wanted. All they let you use was a 2014 RT. 5 min into the ride she was hooked and the rest is history. But like you I really didn't want to pay for a brand new model plus eat the depreciation that comes with it. But they had a 2010 and 2012 RT. The 2012 was about $4000 higher than the 2010 plus we weren't real crazy about the 2012 in red. So we had them draw up numbers on the 2010 silver RT and $14,000 out the door with 15,000 miles was our ticket. Plus I had about $3500 from my previous bike sale, so we had an excellent amount financed.
    I would love to have a newer model with the 1330 but really I didn't see a lot of difference. Our 2010 has had all the recalls and scoops for the heat installed. I don't think you can go wrong with any year RT to be honest. All in all, they're great machines and hopefully you can find one in your price range that will you guys out in the wind.
    2010 RT Audio and Convience SE5, wider vented windshield, XM radio, digital voltmeter, K&N filter, LED turn signal strips, ISCI floorboards, Lamonster LED Headlights and Fogs, Two Bros Black series

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default ride home for you

if your interested in akspydermans i might b interested in riding it home for you