Spyder Garage

Default F3T Elka front shocks/springs

For anyone contemplating changing to the Elka front shocks on their F3T or Limited, my suggestion is don't.

I did, and am basically out the money. The problem is, the Elka's have less travel, and the spring is larger diameter, but smaller coil diameter. Less shock travel means less wheel travel, and that requires a stiffer ride to keep from bottoming out. While the Spyder is a little more stable at higher speeds, and corners a little better, the ride is much stiffer to the point of being uncomfortable, and if you hit a pothole or bigger bump you will bottom out.

If you are going racing, the Elka's are probably a move in the right direction. For road riding on varied conditions from smooth to rough, the stock shocks are better.

Anyone tried the Can-Am Fox Podium shocks they sell for the F3T?

Spyder Garage

Thats odd. I had exactly the opposite experience installing the Elka Stage 2 front and rear coil overs on my F3.

You do know they are VERY adjustable both the spring and the shock. Have you spoken with Elka about your concerns? Perhaps they can suggest better settings for your needs.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default F3T Elka front shocks

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Thats odd. I had exactly the opposite experience installing the Elka Stage 2 front and rear coil overs on my F3.

You do know they are VERY adjustable both the spring and the shock. Have you spoken with Elka about your concerns? Perhaps they can suggest better settings for your needs.

Thanks, JC. Mine is the F3T, but Elka rep assures me they are all the same. The different part numbers for springs and shocks are, according to him, just because of different vendors. At any rate, with bigger wire diameter on the Elka's, and a smaller diameter coil, the spring rate will be greater, resulting in a stiffer ride. Plus the bumper on the Elka's limits the travel to around 1 1/4" less at the shock and that is around 2 1//2" less at the wheel.

The high speed stability and fast cornering are improved. However, the ride is more harsh, and they will bottom out on a big bump.

Next will be to shorten the bumper; this is OK according to Elka rep. Then I can back off on the damping a little and see what happens.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FredEC View Post
    Thanks, JC. Mine is the F3T, but Elka rep assures me they are all the same. The different part numbers for springs and shocks are, according to him, just because of different vendors. At any rate, with bigger wire diameter on the Elka's, and a smaller diameter coil, the spring rate will be greater, resulting in a stiffer ride. Plus the bumper on the Elka's limits the travel to around 1 1/4" less at the shock and that is around 2 1//2" less at the wheel.

The high speed stability and fast cornering are improved. However, the ride is more harsh, and they will bottom out on a big bump.

Next will be to shorten the bumper; this is OK according to Elka rep. Then I can back off on the damping a little and see what happens.
    How much preload do you have on the spring? I just added Elkas to the T and I'm running 1/4" preload with no ill effects.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    How much preload do you have on the spring? I just added Elkas to the T and I'm running 1/4" preload with no ill effects.
    Well, they sent them to me already set for my weight. I increased the preload by 2 1/2 turns. There is only about 2 turns left and the adjuster will bottom out.

My comparison between the Elka's and stock was like going from a Mercedes E class to a BMW 5 series. Now only if the Elka's had enough travel.

Spyder Garage

I know for a fact that my bump skid will hit the ground before the Elkas bottom out. Something is not the same here.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FredEC View Post
    Well, they sent them to me already set for my weight. I increased the preload by 2 1/2 turns. There is only about 2 turns left and the adjuster will bottom out.

My comparison between the Elka's and stock was like going from a Mercedes E class to a BMW 5 series. Now only if the Elka's had enough travel.
    The unloaded spring is 10", I set mine at 9.75" . I measured the back of the bumpskid and it lifted the front 3/8" from stock. I'm not sure what you got going on but something is not right. Mine rides like a dream.

Spyder Garage

Default Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    The unloaded spring is 10", I set mine at 9.75" . I measured the back of the bumpskid and it lifted the front 3/8" from stock. I'm not sure what you got going on but something is not right. Mine rides like a dream.

IMG_2108 copy.jpgIMG_2110 copy.jpg

OAL is the same. Spring wire diameter is larger, smaller diameter coil, coil length the same. Travel is restricted by the thick bumper; about 5/16" less, am guessing about 5/8" less wheel travel.
    Still should check spring with the adjuster backed all the way off. Now it is set almost all the way up, no more threads left, and still less ground clearance than stock.

Spyder Garage

Default Update

Here are some more photos.

Spring free length is about 8", not 10". Actually, 200mm.

With adjuster screwed all the way up, there is still less ground clearance than with stock shocks.

With springs backed off and bike setting on the bumpers, there is still ground clearance; about 1 3/4".

IMG_2113 copy.jpgIMG_2116 copy.jpgIMG_2115 copy.jpg

Is it possible they sent an incorrect configuration?

Spyder Garage

I love the Elka's on my F3 Limited. I removed them from my ST before the trade and transferred them over. Smooth ride, and good cornering. I also had to adjust a lot more preload into them as the F3 is a bit heavier up front than the ST was. But I have room to go and have not ever bottomed them out as far as I could tell.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

The coil spring diameter on the OEM shock measures 11/32 and the Elka is 12/32. These measurements are approximate as I have no "high tech" measuring equipment in my garage. But the diameter of the Elka spring is definitely larger.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS