Thread: Long rides

Spyder Garage

Default Long rides

I have a ride scheduled for this coming Friday 556 miles door to door. I have done some 450+ rides before on my 2009 and one at 505 but that was a ride day that we all switched bikes and had many stops. This trip is just to get somewhere for 3 days then ride back home.
    I do know my F3 the seat is a little less comfortable for me but I will live.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips for doing a full day ride like this, aside form stops, rest, walks, stretching, etc.
    Also I have a Blue Ridge windshield I use for winter and was wondering if it may be good to use it for such a long ride (and for bugs since I will be 20 miles from Canada lol). But not sure I really like the open air feel of the F3.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've done that before, but didn't like it. But other folks have that as an average daily mileage. If you've done 500 miles with many stops before, I doubt you'll have a problem. Just stop as you need to.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

I agree. I just did a 650 mile round trip to Ohio yesterday. First time driving the whole way. I added a backrest and put on my Airhawk R seat cushion, and really had no problems at all until about the last 75 miles or so. The butt got a little restless on the home stretch.

I stopped for gas and rest areas as needed, and made sure to walk around and stretch while there.

Just stop when you need to, and you'll be fine.

Enjoy!
    2014 Cognac Spyder RT-S SM6, purchased July 8, 2015
    Rivco Flag Holders
    Eduo Innovations SRT Clear/Stainless Cup Holder
    Lamonster Spyder Decals
    Inspector Gadget Driver Floorboards and Heel-Toe Shifter
    Sena SPH10H-FM Headset for Half-Helmet
    Hopnel 1500 Front Trunk Liner
    BRP Trailer Hitch and Control Module
    2014 Escape Trailer (Black and Diamond) from 1 Motorcycle Trailers

2012 Magnesium Spyder RT SM5, sold on July 8, 2015

Spyder Garage

Default Relax...

You've done long trips and near that amount of miles. All you stated, maybe add hydrate well, and you will be fine. I find the earlier I can head out of town the more relaxed I am on the trip. Enjoy the trip it will be fun...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

500 miles a day is no problem... IF you make sure to:
    remain hydrated
    Gas stops should also be "stomp some blood back into the toes." stops.
    eat what you only need to eat. A full belly can make you sleepy.
    Be prepared for the weather.

We've done 640 miles in a day, and that's modest by most standards...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I do use a camel back on long rides with the water tube in my helmet. I started that after a July 400 mile HUNGOVER ride home one Sunday

Still on the fence about adding the windshield to make it a tad easier on the old body.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Add it! The fatigue caused by the wind, adds up exponentially!

Oh! Hydrate enough to be safe; NOT enough to force extra bathroom stops!
    Work it out, so that intake and outgo can meet at the fuel stops!

Very Active Member Martin Slovakia's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default looong ride

Well i dont have any windshield, coz i dont like the look. I would love to have one, also I dont have any backrest because i dont like the look, but i would love to have one..
    anyway, this year i did one trip for 3200km in 3bikedays i did 2100km in 2 days and just going to Transfagarasan road - maybe you know it from TopGear, and it will be like 2500km and only like 500km on highway and rest, just twists and turns, in 3days..
    its all ok to travel these kind of distances.. but after every trip i dont want to see that bike for at least 3days )))

Spyder Garage

Unhappy hi, from LAMA Palm Beach County FL>

With my chapter, next week we are going to San Antonio Tx, 2600 miles round trip.
    There will be the Latino American Motorcycle Association National annual Event .
    This gonna be my first long ride with 2013 spyder st se5...
    some tips ?

Spyder Garage

I depend on my music and love to look at the scenery to take my mind off the monotony of driving long distances.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

, although it's tough to say that what I listen to, is "Music"...
    Does anybody else like "Zombie Stomp"?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    I depend on my music and love to look at the scenery to take my mind off the monotony of driving long distances.

Cruzr Joe
    I listen to the imaginary music in my head and pick twisty routes so I don't have time to look at the scenery:-)

On a serious note for longer journey's...
    • As a lot of other people have said - hydrate. I use hydration backpack filled with Powerade (NZ sports drink).
    • Don't eat proper meals just light stuff - I just have health bars to munch while filling up etc.
    • Avoid coffee (or other drinks filled with caffeine) - this is the bit I find the hardest:-)
    • Know your route. If it's new to you check the junctions on google street view so your familiar with them. GPS isn't always right and familiarity will take the stress out.
    • Ditto plan petrol stops to prevent stress:-)
    • On very long trips I take two pairs of gloves and swap the ones I'm wearing occasionally. The differences between them stop pressure points, numbness etc. More an issue when doing a multi-day rides.