Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Manual Air Shock

Quick question. When I start my Spyder and I press my switch to put up/down my shocks, it works flawless. After 5-10 minutes of riding, if I press the switch it shows Manual. Currently the shock in set to high, and that is how I like it. Can I continue to ride until I have an appointment with the dealer or will I damage something? Also is the part needed must be order by the dealer or they normally keep it in stock. Thanks.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited, black, Special Edition, SE6, belt tensioner, Bajaron swaybar, AKARAPOVIC, F4 windshield with vent. Previous 2015 RTS in black and 2011 RT Limited, SE5 with Bajaron Swaybar and Bumpskid

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They won't know what they need, until they take a peek under her skirt...
    As long as there's air in the system, you should be okay riding it...
    Good luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

the shock is a auto shock, so if you press the raise or lower switch, you are doing it manually.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Maybe I was confusing. When I start the bike the LCD does show the up and down arrow squares, when I start riding the bike after 10-15 minutes and I press the shock switch, the shock up and down arrows changes to show "Manual" (instead of up and down arrows as before) I went to the bike this morning after an hour, checked the fuses, all look good, started the bike, no brake and in 1st gear, and press the shock switch and again it shows the up and down arrow squares. If I press down the squares goes down etc. The only thing I do not hear is the air compressor going up and down (should I went I press the shock setting?) . Also there are no error codes. Do you think still is the sensor? Thanks
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited, black, Special Edition, SE6, belt tensioner, Bajaron swaybar, AKARAPOVIC, F4 windshield with vent. Previous 2015 RTS in black and 2011 RT Limited, SE5 with Bajaron Swaybar and Bumpskid

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    the shock is a auto shock, so if you press the raise or lower switch, you are doing it manually.
    I never saw the word Manual when I press the setting in the LCD. Always an up/down arrow.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You may have some leak in the system.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wengerda View Post
    Quick question. When I start my Spyder and I press my switch to put up/down my shocks, it works flawless. After 5-10 minutes of riding, if I press the switch it shows Manual. Currently the shock in set to high, and that is how I like it. Can I continue to ride until I have an appointment with the dealer or will I damage something? Also is the part needed must be order by the dealer or they normally keep it in stock. Thanks.

We have seen this happen a couple times now and it has been a faulty compressor not providing enough air pressure.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCFPS View Post
    We have seen this happen a couple times now and it has been a faulty compressor not providing enough air pressure.
    I will ride the bike until my appointment, the air bag does have air.

Spyder Garage

Default adding air

You can add air to the system through the Schrader valve located under the seat. Don't add more than 80PSI. The book says it can take up to 90PSI, but add a little less for the Fudge Factor.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    You can add air to the system through the Schrader valve located under the seat. Don't add more than 80PSI. The book says it can take up to 90PSI, but add a little less for the Fudge Factor.
    Got it thanks.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Got it thanks.
    Okay I added air in the schrader valve and the gauge on my portable compresor showed 0 psi. I added air, now m, if by tomorrow the portable compresor shows 0 psi again, will that means the spyder air compresor is not good. Also if I am careful and do not get on the highways can I ride the bike with 0 psi until I have an appt with the dealer or will I damage other parts? Thanks

Spyder Garage

Default Has happened

Okay I added air in the schrader valve and the gauge on my portable compresor showed 0 psi. I added air, now m, if by tomorrow the portable compresor shows 0 psi again, will that means the spyder air compresor is not good. Also if I am careful and do not get on the highways can I ride the bike with 0 psi until I have an appt with the dealer or will I damage other parts? Thanks
    To me too so your not crazy. I had the dealer check for leaks but everything checked out good as far as leaks go. The dealer never mentioned anything about possibility of a bad compressor being unable to provide enough pressure. I'd like to know what your dealer says.

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

Default Bad shock

Mine is in the shop right now for the EXACT same problem.

Spyder Garage

The air system is reasonably complicated. Leaks can come from the compressor, shock, check valve, lines. The electronics not work correctly. There is a check valve. There is also a solenoid that is designed to let air out of the system. If you can handle it, go for it, otherwise you'll need to see the dealer
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    US Navy Veteran

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know people who have ridden hundreds of miles with no air in the shock and it didn't cause any issues except for a bumpy ride.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I know people who have ridden hundreds of miles with no air in the shock and it didn't cause any issues except for a bumpy ride.
    Mine was Not working on my 2012 sm5 Manual (No Auto Compressor) and it rode fine with my 210 pounds BUT when the dealer fixed it and I manually put in 15-20 pounds via a compressor I Keep in the rear storage it was like a New Machine Again!!!
    It will ( per BRP Directive) Lose air if it sits for a certain period so I always check it before a ride and add just enough for my weight. At the END of the ride the Compression number is still the same BUT as it sits for days it will lose some Poundage Per BRP!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

I took mine to my dealer last Wednesday. He hooked up to BUDS. The compressor wouldn't come on BUDS asked it to. So he ordered another compressor which is covered under my BEST warranty. The compressor is $300+! I rode 320 miles on Saturday with the Schrader vale showing zero. Dealer tech said it shouldn't hurt anything. Not sure how long it was out before I realized it. Waiting on a call from tech to tell me he has received from BRP then will schedule for replacement. They'll install while I wait.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thank you for all the comments. I will wait for my next dealer appointment and check tomorrow how much air I still have after I put 80psi manually.

Spyder Garage

Sarge, GREAT info. My RT-SM6 is also Manual ( no compressor) and does the same thing but couldn't find any info in owners manual about it. Sure makes a difference with just a little air in it !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Mine was Not working on my 2012 sm5 Manual (No Auto Compressor) and it rode fine with my 210 pounds BUT when the dealer fixed it and I manually put in 15-20 pounds via a compressor I Keep in the rear storage it was like a New Machine Again!!!
    It will ( per BRP Directive) Lose air if it sits for a certain period so I always check it before a ride and add just enough for my weight. At the END of the ride the Compression number is still the same BUT as it sits for days it will lose some Poundage Per BRP!
    Current: "Scarlett", 2017 Can Am F3-T, SE6, Intense Red Pearl.
    BRP heated grips, DIY brake light strip and turn signal strips, Chrome/LED brake light tag frame, SpyderPops bumpskid, Baja Ron swaybar and billet links, Lamonster Third Peg, BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest, SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard, ShowChrome oversize brake pedal, TricLED foglights.

Previous: "Synthia", 2014 Can Am Spyder RT, SM6, Pearl White.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Okay my saga continues. I added manually air to my bike shock under the seat. This morning, I rode 11 miles from home to the office without any issues. When I started the bike this morning, I heard the compressor turn on once. After 10-15 minutes, I pressed the shock setting switch and it showed on the LCD "Manual" versus the arrows with squares again. Is there anyway I can disconnect a fuse to stop the compressor to kick in? I believe that is probably a solenoid issue versus a damage air compressor. I will check this afternoon when I drive home from work, how much air is in the airbag (manually under the seat), I am assuming that when I started the bike this morning, the compressor pushed all the air out and maybe because the solenoid is not working, is not adding air in the bag. If I can remove the fuse until I have the bike at the dealer, will I start having error codes? Currently I do not have any error codes with this issue. Thanks

Spyder Garage

I have a 15 limited. I called and ask the tech what the air pressure should be. He said the auto one sets it itself. Even if you put more in it manually, when the bike is running, in gear & moving, it will readjust to where it should be to accommodate the weight/load on the bike so the height is correct.
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmwlarry View Post
    I have a 15 limited. I called and ask the tech what the air pressure should be. He said the auto one sets it itself. Even if you put more in it manually, when the bike is running, in gear & moving, it will readjust to where it should be to accommodate the weight/load on the bike so the height is correct.
    Thank you for the information. I will check this afternoon how much air (manually) I have. Hopefully it wont show 0 PSI.

Spyder Garage

Okay my saga continues. I added manually air to my bike shock under the seat. This morning, I rode 11 miles from home to the office without any issues. When I started the bike this morning, I heard the compressor turn on once. After 10-15 minutes, I pressed the shock setting switch and it showed on the LCD "Manual" versus the arrows with squares again. Is there anyway I can disconnect a fuse to stop the compressor to kick in? I believe that is probably a solenoid issue versus a damage air compressor. I will check this afternoon when I drive home from work, how much air is in the airbag (manually under the seat), I am assuming that when I started the bike this morning, the compressor pushed all the air out and maybe because the solenoid is not working, is not adding air in the bag. If I can remove the fuse until I have the bike at the dealer, will I start having error codes? Currently I do not have any error codes with this issue. Thanks
    The easiest way to disable the compressor without disturbing anything else that operates on the same fuse is to remove relay R1. Its sole purpose is to run the pump. R1 is located in the fuse box in the frunk. It's in the upper left corner as you are standing in front of the Spyder, facing the rear.
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    US Navy Veteran

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The easiest way to disable the compressor without disturbing anything else that operates on the same fuse is to remove relay R1. Its sole purpose is to run the pump. R1 is located in the fuse box in the frunk. It's in the upper left corner as you are standing in front of the Spyder.
    Great I am going to do that.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The easiest way to disable the compressor without disturbing anything else that operates on the same fuse is to remove relay R1. Its sole purpose is to run the pump. R1 is located in the fuse box in the frunk. It's in the upper left corner as you are standing in front of the Spyder, facing the rear.
    I am looking at the manual, is the relay at "Left JCase fuse box", fuse #1-- 40A-- VCM pump?