Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Opinions of comfort seat

I realize seat comfort will be different for everyone. I am debating between a comfort seat and ultimate, however, I have read on a few posts that a comfort seat will move a person back a couple of inches. Is this true? I have short arms, and really don't want to sit back any further. Thank you.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Twerp View Post
    I realize seat comfort will be different for everyone. I am debating between a comfort seat and ultimate, however, I have read on a few posts that a comfort seat will move a person back a couple of inches. Is this true? I have short arms, and really don't want to sit back any further. Thank you.
    Yes, it's true. The comfort seat moves the operator back about two inches. It also robs the passenger of an inch or two. This is the reason that I didn't get one, because it would make it hard for me to reach the handlebars.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I had my 2012 RS I purchased the Ultimate seat "mid rider" (they may call it something different now). This moves a short rider up slightly and has a bit of back support built in. Much improved from stock. Dont know anything on the comfort seat.

Spyder Garage

I have the BRP Comfort seats installed on both my RT's. They do move you back a couple inches. I am 185# and the position is comfortable for me. Linda also likes the Comfort seat on her RT.

The seat also gives more support than the OEM. At about $595 it is a pretty good buy compared to other aftermarket seats.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default It does. ..

In my case it (comfort seat) worked out great. I have back and right leg issues and the seat allowed me to move forward and back as well as raised the passenger higher but still comfortable. Seats are a bit tough to judge cause at those prices your not going to buy many. Some do have a return policy which will allow you a good test run...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It helps if you get the tri axis bars.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    It helps if you get the tri axis bars.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts. You guys are great.

Registered Users sypderrobinson134's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had a stock seat for 3 years and at spyderfest I upgraded to the tall boy ultimate seat. I'm 6'4 and around 340 so I feel in the minority but it makes the ride SO much better for me and my wife. The added backrest also gives something fantastic. Idk about that comfort seats I never invested in one but you bet ya I'll swear by an ultimate seat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I got a comfort seat b/c I was unable to ride more than 20-30 minutes without hurting. I am 6'2" and have adjustable bars so the seating position change was welcomed.

Comfort seat + bars and possibly backrest > ultimate seat cost.

So, it really comes down to budget and what you are trying to achieve.
    I would have gotten an Ultimate if budget was not a concern but very happy with my comfort seat ($430 at dealer).

Spyder Garage

Exclamation Comfort Saddle on 2013 RS

I bought my 2013 RS brand new. I'm a 5'7 " rider and I could swear when I first got the trike its ergonomics were designed by the Marquis DeSade. ST bars, shift-lever adjustment, comfort saddle and a set of floor boards later and aaaahhh! All day comfort. I can ride farther on my Spyder in one sitting than I ever could on any motorcycle I've owned, and I've had several.
    2017 F3-S Daytona , Yellow and black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    Yes, it's true. The comfort seat moves the operator back about two inches. It also robs the passenger of an inch or two. This is the reason that I didn't get one, because it would make it hard for me to reach the handlebars.

Pam

I really like your last accessory!! I am definitely going to have to look into getting that one!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheSpyderRyder View Post
    I bought my 2013 RS brand new. I'm a 5'7 " rider and I could swear when I first got the trike its ergonomics were designed by the Marquis DeSade. ST bars, shift-lever adjustment, comfort saddle and a set of floor boards later and aaaahhh! All day comfort. I can ride farther on my Spyder in one sitting than I ever could on any motorcycle I've owned, and I've had several.

I can relate to that. My butt never quite got use to the motorcycle seat either. I have the handlebars and seat left to change on the Spyder, and I should be good to go. I am so looking forward to getting both changes done. Thank you for you input.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robertl View Post
    I got a comfort seat b/c I was unable to ride more than 20-30 minutes without hurting. I am 6'2" and have adjustable bars so the seating position change was welcomed.

Comfort seat + bars and possibly backrest > ultimate seat cost.

So, it really comes down to budget and what you are trying to achieve.
    I would have gotten an Ultimate if budget was not a concern but very happy with my comfort seat ($430 at dealer).

Budget wise I would really like to go with the comfort seat, but I am really concerned about leaning forward with those, as I am really short. I think that leaves me with the ultimate seat.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Comfort seat

I can relate to that. My butt never quite got use to the motorcycle seat either. I have the handlebars and seat left to change on the Spyder, and I should be good to go. I am so looking forward to getting both changes done. Thank you for you input.
    Try to get the floor boards too because then you can move your feet around. With the stock pegs, my feet were tucked under at an odd angle with no room for movement and I could never get comfortable. Even shifting and braking was a chore. With boards, your feet rest naturally and they aren't planted in one spot. I also added a heel-and-toe shifter when I got the boards.
    2017 F3-S Daytona , Yellow and black

Spyder Garage

Love my BRP OEM heated comfort seat! Had one on my 2013 RT also.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

I am debating between a comfort seat and ultimate, however, I have read on a few posts that a comfort seat will move a person back a couple of inches. Is this true?
    I think it matters for which Spyder model you are planning to upgrade the seat on... the BRP Comfort Seat for my 2012 RS model Spyder didn't change my seating position by so much as a hair from the original plain-jane seat. The seat rise between driver and passenger is in the same location (I had both seats setting side-by-side there was no difference in seat contours).

I'm 5'10" and a BRP under the handlebar 1" riser plate made the seating position much much better for me though. It was a pain to install but I could tell the difference immediately.

Regards!

- Michael

Spyder Garage

I was cleaning up my phone over the weekend and realized I saved these pictures before I installed the Comfort seat.

Stock seat I always found myself sliding forward so with the Comfort I tend to stay further back.
    Now whether it really sets you back 2 in is debatable but definitely more comfortable and easier to sit back than the stock.

The pictures really show the difference in shape, round versus flat.

20160220_180959.jpg20160220_180951.jpg20160220_180943.jpg20160220_180930.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robertl View Post
    I was cleaning up my phone over the weekend and realized I saved these pictures before I installed the Comfort seat.

Stock seat I always found myself sliding forward so with the Comfort I tend to stay further back.
    Now whether it really sets you back 2 in is debatable but definitely more comfortable and easier to sit back than the stock.

The pictures really show the difference in shape, round versus flat.

20160220_180959.jpg20160220_180951.jpg20160220_180943.jpg20160220_180930.jpg

Thank you both for the input, and thanks so much for the pictures. I do think the difference is that it sits a person up instead of leaning forward. I have just ordered handlebars from a RT, so maybe that would solve the problem.

Spyder Garage

I ordered an Ultimate seat and love it. You can order them in 3 different sizes according to your height and arm reach. It has really made me more comfortable. I am short only 5.2 with short arms. It improved my position greatly!

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post

Pam

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spydey Girl View Post
    I ordered an Ultimate seat and love it. You can order them in 3 different sizes according to your height and arm reach. It has really made me more comfortable. I am short only 5.2 with short arms. It improved my position greatly!

I decided to go with the ultimate seat, and ordered it a couple of days ago. Should be here Monday. With the help of my brother in law, we put RT bars on a week ago. WOW!! What a difference. Thank you Spydey Girl.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We installed Helibars to get the controls up and back a little. Then we found out the stock seat would make us slide forward too often, so with the comfort seat we now sit more upright with better knee angle for touring on our RS.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Changed from stock to comfort seat om my 2008 GS I like it and it gives me comfort and more room. Better looking Seat too.

Spyder Garage

Default Comfort seat installation

Thinking of getting a BRP comfort seat for my 2015 RS-S before heading up to Valcourt in June. So... is the install relatively easy, are the instructions reasonably clear and accurate, or is the swap out a bit tricky and frustrating before all is said and done? I've done enough upgrades and replacements mostly on numerous motorcycles to know that the process of installing something new isn't always as simple or easy as it seems at first glance.

Spyder Garage

Cool

Hey... it takes about an hour to swap out. Hardest part I found was getting the latch bolt positioned just right so that it would not jam when unlocking the new seat, it took a few tries to get it to work right after the seat swap.

It's not rocket-science though. The bolts which hold the seat hinge on are under the panel directly behind the seat and if I recall correctly it's the top most bolt on the panel above the rear wheel which holds the top panel on. Once you get that top panel off you can then unbolt the seat hinge and make the swap.

Enjoy!

- Michael

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Thanks for the install info

Thanks, Michael, for the feedback on installing the comfort seat. Sounds pretty straightforward with the need for a little tweaking. Appreciate the help.