Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default F3 Electric Concept Vehicle

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting. ...

Would be cool if they really sounded that way.. guess sitting over a rather large battery pack is about as risky as sitting over an internal combustion engine. Wonder if it will get any further that the other concept vehicle....did like the color combo on the RS eco electric model....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Martin Slovakia's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OMG

does it really needs any words than this
    okie okie.. maybe your ankles will be not struggling from hot air from cooler.. but what about your..... from the heat from batteries )))
    well spend money on video... jeeeeezus...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is this what the 2:00 pm announcement is about??
    I'm underwhelmed...

maxresdefault.jpg

Park this one next to the hybrid, and let the cobwebs cover it up.

Sorry...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 06-20-2016 at 12:00 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Give me gas any day.

I'm not interested in a battery powered Spyder. I drive a company car that's battery powered and it's 50/50 on battery and gas power. I only get about 35 miles on a full charge. By the end of my workday, I'm running on gas. But hey... it's a company car!

163 and counting.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Default call me

call me when this thing gets 200+ miles on a charge, and a recharge takes 3 minutes (as refueling with gas takes)....
    otherwise, i'm not interested...

btw; what is Akrapovič planning to do for sound enhancements........???

the BIG ADVANTAGE with electric motors is, you have extreme accleration and instant torque.... NOT a bad idea, it's just that batteries aren't up to the job at this time....
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

I think I see another April Fool prank coming up.

Seriously though--two questions do come up. Range and price. That will determine if they have a winner or just a green ad campaign.

The "eco" would be a very small segment of a very small segment of the market.

Have to wait and see, but will not hold my breath.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

you people are not seeing the bright side of this, YOU CAN CHARGE YOUR CELL PHONE ON IT, but millage may vary, according to charge time of the phone
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!!

This will go great with my electric Chevy Volt.
    We are a happy THREE Spyder family!
    My Rides: 2008 Quantum Blue Premier Edition Spyder GS SM5 (#1344)
    2015 Pearl White / Red Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM6
    2016 Intense Pearl Red Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6
    2019 Chevrolet Volt (ER-EV)
    2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport X 4.0L I-6

RETIRED Owner / Event Coordinator - Annual Western Regional Can-Am Spyder Rallies
    Spyders in the Redwoods and Red Rock Spyder Rally of Southern Utah

The West Coast's Can-Am Spyder Community Ambassador
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post

the BIG ADVANTAGE with electric motors is, you have extreme accleration and instant torque.... NOT a bad idea, it's just that batteries aren't up to the job at this time....
    SPYD3R

This one does not even have the acceleration in its favor. Its only 67HP. About half of a regular gas powered F3.

This is a college project funded by Canadian tax dollars. Not a real product development. Years late and way short of what others are already doing.

I would have been far more impressed if this lack luster set of specs was actually being announced for production. THAT would at least show BRP doing something beyond grandstanding and spending research tax dollars in a boondoggle.

As it is, the most impressive part of the whole shindig is the video production quality.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Actually, the electric bikes do have those sounds. I've ridden the a Zero and a Victory.

Here's a little more information about the project: https://ceo.ca/@newswire/cta-present...oncept-vehicle

We should be excited about any electric vehicle projects and this improves the technology used which increases competition while driving down price.

Now, if you live in a rural (aka country) probably out of luck; however, if you live near a city there are probably a lot more recharge stations than you thought:
    https://na.chargepoint.com/charge_point
    80-90% recharge in 30 minutes (nice break for lunch or dinner) with Level2 charging.

Spyder Garage

I am all for improving the technology and like the idea of an electric Spyder.

I think I am in the wrong business.

Spyder Elect.JPG

It took how many people to figure this out?
    It took how long??
    It cost how much???

Yikes!
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

170 kilometer range = 106 miles. Just shy of 998 mileage. I'm glad they are at least working the concept. Batteries for these type applications have come a long way in the last few years in reliability, durability, heat management and recharge time. Solid state batteries are getting a lot of attention. Li batteries are still the choice. Aluminum Ion batteries are being developed as well. Cyclability and heat are the biggest factors in batteries for electric vehicles. Electric drive systems have also improved.

The three biggest drawbacks at this point to electric vehicles is battery life, mileage and recharge stations.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WA5VHU View Post
    I am all for improving the technology and like the idea of an electric Spyder.

I think I am in the wrong business.

Spyder Elect.JPG

It took how many people to figure this out?
    It took how long??
    It cost how much???

Yikes!

Did you know that GM has the only plant in the US producing electric drive systems for American made cars? It's in White Marsh.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    170 kilometer range = 106 miles. Just shy of 998 mileage.
    The three biggest drawbacks at this point to electric vehicles is battery life, mileage and recharge stations.
    Hi Jim,
    After you travel those theoretical 106 miles: do you stop for the night, while it recharges?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    Did you know that GM has the only plant in the US producing electric drive systems for American made cars? It's in White Marsh.
    I think you are overlooking Tesla

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Speaking of Tesla...
    They might just be the Company, that brings electric cars and recharging technology into the realm of the "useful, and practical"...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And electric Spyder wouldn't be for me. But if I played golf, maybe it could replace a caddy?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Could you imagine the cost of fixing an issue. It's bad enough for ROTAX issues.

2012 RSS (Wife's)
    2015 F3S (Mine)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good for PR but not realistic for the "real" world I don't think. Electric vehicles in general are a waste of time in my opinion. They just seem to be a band aid (an expensive one) for whatever is going to be the future of transportation. Personally I'd rather see all those $ being spent on a hydrogen infrastructure. The same vehicle you drive today could run on hydrogen if the infrastructure were there to provide it. The technology has been around for a long time.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post

I think I see another April Fool prank coming up.

Seriously though--two questions do come up. Range and price. That will determine if they have a winner or just a green ad campaign.

The "eco" would be a very small segment of a very small segment of the market.

Have to wait and see, but will not hold my breath.
    Looks like 105 miles range.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Alright, it might be nice to be able to boast that your Spyder produces Zero emissions as you ride, but does anyone ever think about the emissions produced when they generate the electricity that you use to recharge these things?? And what about the 'environmental costs' of making the batteries in the first place, then disposing of them once they are no longer useable??

Personally, I can't see 'battery operated' electric vehicles like this as anything but a gimmick designed to make suckers of people who never look further than the publicity blurb/sound bite!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    Good for PR but not realistic for the "real" world I don't think. Electric vehicles in general are a waste of time in my opinion. They just seem to be a band aid (an expensive one) for whatever is going to be the future of transportation. Personally I'd rather see all those $ being spent on a hydrogen infrastructure. The same vehicle you drive today could run on hydrogen if the infrastructure were there to provide it. The technology has been around for a long time.
    And where do you think the hydrogen would come from? Hydrogen is NOT a fuel source. Its an energy storage media. IE you take energy FROM some other source and use it to produce hydrogen. The hydrogen is then used to propel a vehicle.

Besides, the only reason hydrogen is of any practical use is that fuel cells that run on liquid fuels directly have not been practical.

The VAST majority of hydrogen used in powering vehicles and in process industries comes from reacting natural gas at very high temperatures with steam. A steam methane reformer. Its a less than 50% efficient use of the energy in the natural gas.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Alright, it might be nice to be able to boast that your Spyder produces Zero emissions as you ride, but does anyone ever think about the emissions produced when they generate the electricity that you use to recharge these things?? And what about the 'environmental costs' of making the batteries in the first place, then disposing of them once they are no longer useable??

Personally, I can't see 'battery operated' electric vehicles like this as anything but a gimmick designed to make suckers of people who never look further than the publicity blurb/sound bite!!
    If the electric grid is already nearing it's capacity; what's going to happen, when everybody plugs in their cars and motorcycles each night?