Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

My wife was also diagnosed with M.S. when she got the news about 6 years ago she shifted gears. She is not one to say why me. She said no it's our turn. She had me go get my motorcycle license never owned a bike. Got my license and a year later we bought a 2014 RT. She has never had so much fun and laughter. Yes the heat and the cold are a fine line for her. But to see the smile on her face after a ride is all that matters for those few hours. Here is a few pictures of her helmet and my vest to show support for all those who suffer with M.S. Wish there were Motorcycle rides supporting people with M.S.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bytemi View Post
    It is about a 7 hour drive.
    Try to come if you can; we would love to meet you, Spyder or no Spyder (my sister is making this rally happen). I'm also pretty sure that one of our Spyderlovers with an RT would be glad to let you ride one. I'm not sure if I will be taking my RT or my F3, but you would be welcome to try either one.

There is also a company that makes actual air conditioning to use on a motorcycle; I don't remember the name, but I remember seeing it online. My sister has the coolshirt also and loves it, but if it ends up not working for you, you may want to check into the ac unit.

Schronce Powersports in Taylorsville NC has at least one used RT, and an ST. John, the owner, is absolutely great, and will do anything he can for you. Call him at 828-632-3147 when you're ready. Tell him Anita sent you. If you come to the rally, perhaps you could stop by to meet him either coming or going. Heck, he may come to the rally just to meet you; he's that kind of guy. We also have a dealership sponsor for the rally, Matthews Fun Machines. They also would be glad to answer any questions you would have; they are nice guys, too.

My mods: Ed Hardy "Love Kills Slowly" graphics, custom tag frame to match graphics, Kuryakyn floorboards, Street Magic Easy Risers, Mean City Cycles seat mod, BRP Ultra Touring windshield with wind deflectors, Street FX ElectroPod lighting kit, Street FX Tire Technix motion activated wheel lights, extended parking brake lever, SpyderPops super duper foot-saving heat shield (aaahhhhh!!!)

Spyder Garage

Default Update on the adventure, Introducing Peanut

Good Morning All,

I went MIA again. I can make a lot of excuses, but will re-frame. So my oldest daughter (19) decided in February that she was going to move to CO to live with a guy that she met on craigslist..... she is not in MO living with another guy that she met on craigslist because the first guy was creepy..... We have to keep her on our insurance, but she is an adult and we don't have a say in anything else. She is alive and safe. That is all I will say on that one.

So Erik's Dad is fully moved in and miserable. The house too cold (because we keep it at 68 degrees year round for the MS) and falling apart. Well we are not fixing the house because we are still underwater on it after the crash and when the bank comes to take it back, they have it as is.... stupid HARP does help people with good credit that make their payments, so we are just paying the mortgage, trying to get the principal down, so we can refinance and get out of this stupid loan that we were talked into.

Which leads to the store, half of all proceeds from the store go to the principle of the mortgage, we have worked really hard, we were $250,000 underwater when the crash occurred, we are just under $50,000 now. So for now the old man will have to deal will old crappy windows, an out of date kitchen and everything else that is wrong with our house. 3 more years it will be banked owned or it will be resolved and we can continue fixing the house, I think we can do it, but the Christmas sales have sucked!!!! I don't know what happened but I am working on fixing it.

So I found this, I know I am underwater on the house and going to buy a Spyder, but life is short and MS sucks so if it will make me feel better Erik and I agree it is worth it!

http://www.pcmcars.com/2012_CanAm_Sp..._264713439.veh

I contact the dealership and scheduled a test ride tomorrow. We shall see...

I personally think the price is a little high for a 2012 and here is why:

1. It was purchased in July with 1,577, so either someone used it as a personal vehicle or you’ve had a lot of inexperienced riders take her for a test ride for almost 500 miles.
    2. It is a 2012 SE5, which means it has the old 5 speed engine (that likes to catch fire)
    3. The engine hasn’t even been broken in and she is now out of warranty, that is not a plus to me.
    4. Other dealers with new models with more features, are asking for less:
    http://www.schronceseadoo.com/defaul...OwnedInventory
    http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/5886803611.html (same bike, with GPS, 3,869 miles garage kept asking $14,500)
    5. I can get a 2017 Spyder F3 brand new with warranty for $16,999 in Maryland

Don't you hate it when the smart lady's brain starts working again......... So we shall see how it goes tomorrow.

Since I have never rode an semiautomatic, can someone explain how the shifting works?
    Breathing New Life into Forgotten Treasures

DerBayzVintage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad that you're back...
    Shifting an SE-5 is really easy...
    You just use your left thumb, to upshift...
    And your left index finger, for downshifting!
    The bike WILL downshift on it's own, if you choose to let it do that.
    (The computer is always reading the rpm levels; so it can figure these sorts of things out!)

Good luck, and please let us know how it goes!
    Fingers Crossed.gif

"Life is short: Eat dessert first!"
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Also when you shift keep the throttle steady as it is computer controlled. Do not roll off the throttle as that confuses the computer.

Good luck!!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Thank you both! We shall see....

DerBayzVintage

Spyder Garage

Shifting is easy with the SE - you press the + paddle with your left thumb to change up; & you either press the - paddle with your left forefinger to change down or you let the Spyder's computer decide that you are about to be nasty to the motor/gear box & it'll change down itself!! Simples!

The SE transmissions are exactly the same gearboxes as the manual transmissions, except they have a different clutch & a different change mechanism. The 'earlier than 2014' 5 speeders have a centrifugal clutch that needs about 3500 revs to fully engage (but it starts engaging at about 100 rpm over idle) & the V-twin motors aren't running at their most economical or efficiently until over about 4000 rpm anyway & rev out to over 8000 rpm besidefi & they lurve to keep up in the revs too, so that's not a biggie; while the 2014 on 6 speeders have an electric/hydraulic clutch that uses its own oil pump to provide engagement & shifting as directed by your fingers & the electric solenoids, & the triple cylinder 1330 motors have ample low rev torque & less need or desire for revs, so that's not a biggie either!! Both motor/trans combinations have computer controlled rev matching on gear changing, so if you aren't all that great on getting the revs right for your gear changes, the computer will blip the throttle to increase/match revs as necessary to avoid the potential for damaging things, & some ryders complain that the blip can make the Spyder surge momentarily faster on gear changes, particularly down changes; but I find it doesn't ever do that if you get somewhere close to the right revs & instigate the change down yourself - plus it makes for more & safer control over your ryding, so why not change down yourself as well as up??

All up, the SE's are & have/do all the good things about the SM manuals with a few even better ideas thrown in too, & not only do you have a choice to let it change itself down as & when necessary, but you can also choose to take full control of your gear changing without the need for exercising & operating a clutch lever & getting that right (or stuffing it &/or breaking something!) I'd suggest that it won 't be all that much longer before you find manual change gearboxes with a hand operated clutch & foot selector go the way of the rest of the dinosaurs....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-02-2016 at 08:56 AM.

Spyder Garage

Thank you for all of the information. I would prefer a manual, but with the MS and my hand strength, I can't hold the clutch in, which is why I am only look at the SE models. I want to shift and down shift, to me that is part of the joy of riding, if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Shifting is easy with the SE - you press the + paddle with your left thumb to change up; & you either press the - paddle with your left forefinger to change down or you let the Spyder's computer decide that you are about to be nasty to the motor/gear box & it'll change down itself!! Simples!

The SE transmissions are exactly the same gearboxes as the manual transmissions, except they have a different clutch & a different change mechanism. The 'earlier than 2014' 5 speeders have a centrifugal clutch that needs about 3500 revs to fully engage (but it starts engaging at about 100 rpm over idle) & the V-twin motors aren't running at their most economical or efficiently until over about 4000 rpm anyway & rev out to over 8000 rpm besidefi & they lurve to keep up in the revs too, so that's not a biggie; while the 2014 on 6 speeders have an electric/hydraulic clutch that uses its own oil pump to provide engagement & shifting as directed by your fingers & the electric solenoids, & the triple cylinder 1330 motors have ample low rev torque & less need or desire for revs, so that's not a biggie either!! Both motor/trans combinations have computer controlled rev matching on gear changing, so if you aren't all that great on getting the revs right for your gear changes, the computer will blip the throttle to increase/match revs as necessary to avoid the potential for damaging things, & some ryders complain that the blip can make the Spyder surge momentarily faster on gear changes, particularly down changes; but I find it doesn't ever do that if you get somewhere close to the right revs & instigate the change down yourself - plus it makes for more & safer control over your ryding, so why not change down yourself as well as up??

All up, the SE's are & have/do all the good things about the SM manuals with a few even better ideas thrown in too, & not only do you have a choice to let it change itself down as & when necessary, but you can also choose to take full control of your gear changing without the need for exercising & operating a clutch lever & getting that right (or stuffing it &/or breaking something!) I'd suggest that it won 't be all that much longer before you find manual change gearboxes with a hand operated clutch & foot selector go the way of the rest of the dinosaurs....

DerBayzVintage

Spyder Garage

No comment on my concerns about 2012??? I guess I am over thinking. I sent the list to Erik and he said WOW that is a great price on the 2017 you found! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Glad that you're back...
    Shifting an SE-5 is really easy...
    You just use your left thumb, to upshift...
    And your left index finger, for downshifting!
    The bike WILL downshift on it's own, if you choose to let it do that.
    (The computer is always reading the rpm levels; so it can figure these sorts of things out!)

Good luck, and please let us know how it goes!
    Fingers Crossed.gif

"Life is short: Eat dessert first!"

DerBayzVintage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 2012s were the best of the 998 bikes; until the heat attenuation protocols for the 2013s were proven to work...
    These were (and are!) great bikes.
    I'd ride one...

Spyder Garage

Thanks Bob, You endorsement means more to me than anything I read online.

Lets face it, I already named her Peanut, as long as I can shift. As long as I can shift...

The 2012s were the best of the 998 bikes; until the heat attenuation protocols for the 2013s were proven to work...
    These were (and are!) great bikes.
    I'd ride one...

DerBayzVintage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't follow me: I'm lost too!

Spyder Garage

Two negatives make a positive, so two lost people equal a found person.

Don't follow me: I'm lost too!

DerBayzVintage

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Not too sure why yiu would prefer the manual. The SE is really slick and yiu can stay just as engaged with the machine as you do with the manual. While it will shift down for you, I only use that feature, at best, when I am coming to a complete stop. You have complete control to use the engine braking capabilities of a down shift with the SE so with whatever physical limitations you have I would think that jus the ability to flick your thumb or finger would be much easier for you. But I can only imagine what you are going through.

Now because your previous Spyder was and RS, I think you should try a test drive on the F3... but, let me warn you, as one that was bitten bad, you won't even consider the 2012 if yiu try the F3!

Whatever you decide, you deserve to have some enjoyment in life.

Good luck, you can't go wrong with either one!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Thank you, my husband has a Harley, my step father has a Harley, they always said the only reason they considered Billie a motorcycle was because I had to shift like them, so I guess in my head if I am not shifting I am not a motorcycle. I've always loved the RT's but financially they it was not doable for my first. So.... now I can get an RT, but it can't be manual. If that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Not too sure why yiu would prefer the manual. The SE is really slick and yiu can stay just as engaged with the machine as you do with the manual. While it will shift down for you, I only use that feature, at best, when I am coming to a complete stop. You have complete control to use the engine braking capabilities of a down shift with the SE so with whatever physical limitations you have I would think that jus the ability to flick your thumb or finger would be much easier for you. But I can only imagine what you are going through.

Now because your previous Spyder was and RS, I think you should try a test drive on the F3... but, let me warn you, as one that was bitten bad, you won't even consider the 2012 if yiu try the F3!

Whatever you decide, you deserve to have some enjoyment in life.

Good luck, you can't go wrong with either one!

DerBayzVintage

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default It does

But you will be shifting, just not with your foot! The motorcycle sounds like you are shifting and if you didn't tell them they wouldn't know it was a semi-automatic! Your husband will still love you! Even if you don't have a clutch lever!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

My husband will love me if I can never ride again.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    But you will be shifting, just not with your foot! The motorcycle sounds like you are shifting and if you didn't tell them they wouldn't know it was a semi-automatic! Your husband will still love you! Even if you don't have a clutch lever!

DerBayzVintage

Spyder Garage

Don't make a decision about manual or semi automatic based on people who only drive a manual. Your driving ability, pleasure level is what counts.

The difference in cost is about $1,500 if you are considering new. The cost may work out to about $500 extra if you are considering used.

I drove many manual transmission bikes over the years. I actually like the SE version of the 's and would not go back.

Good for those that love those big HD or other big iron with the manuals. Been there many times, but, I love my 's and am still able to ride. If you don't like my ride, I don't care, I drive for me is the way I feel about it.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 12-02-2016 at 02:26 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Don't make a decision about manual or semi automatic based on people who only drive a manual. Your driving ability, pleasure level is what counts.

The difference in cost is about $1,500 if you are considering new. The cost may work out to about $500 extra if you are considering used.

I drove many manual transmission bikes over the years. I actually like the SE version of the 's and would not go back.

Good for those that love those big HD or other big iron with the manuals. Been there many times, but, I love my 's and am still able to ride. If you don't like my ride, I don't care, I drive for me is the way I feel about it.
    I believe they are only harrassing me. Most people are amazed that I even try. But I have my eye and now that I am off the drugs (meds) I really feel like I can do this. I just don't want to get confused and not shift properly. The dealership is about 40 miles from my house so if I go for it, it will a good test drive home.

DerBayzVintage

Spyder Garage

I drove manual shift motorcycles for 50 years. If I never have to clutch again it will be too soon. Its your get it the way you want it. They're just jealous anyway. And yes I agree they are just giving a little ribbing.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bytemi View Post
    I believe they are only harrassing me. Most people are amazed that I even try. But I have my eye and now that I am off the drugs (meds) I really feel like I can do this. I just don't want to get confused and not shift properly. The dealership is about 40 miles from my house so if I go for it, it will a good test drive home.
    BRP has figured it all out for you. With the SE system, all you have to do for upshifts is push the plus paddle with your left thumb when the revs sound good. 5500 for a 998 and 3500 or so for a 1330. No throttle rolling, clutch grabbing, or shifting with your foot.

The system will automatically shift down for you. Brake with your right foot just like driving a car with an automatic.

It does not get much easier.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Rolling in a little late here, but another option for a cooling vest is the Veskimo system. The difference is that the Veskimo's cooling unit/power pack is worn on your back, like a Camelback hydration system, vice the messenger bag-like system you have. So it's not moving around on you. You can run it off of rechargeable batteries, or via an external power cord. There's also an option for a larger, off-body cooling pack, which I imagine would work really well with a sidecar rig or car.

(And no, I have no experience with the Veskimo. I just came across it while researching cooling systems a while back. It gets stinking hot and sticky here in Alabama too, so I was looking for options.)

Spyder Garage

. Introducing Peanut!! I brought her home tonight after trying to walk out 3 times. So she is a 2012 RT Limited. She had 2001 miles, 2042 now. Yes I rode her home with my husband hovering. I will be redoing my training first in the court, the side roads and build to highway.

A couple questions/observations:

The shift is rough, jolting. Can someone help me?
    I kept hitting the horn instead of turning off the turn signal.
    The dealership knew nothing about the Spyder other than basic usage. I found the tool kit after much searching. He said he didn't have the GPS but I wonder if it is hiding somewhere.
    There is a headset jack, why??
    What else is different in the 2012 RT vs the 2008gs?
    He only had one key, I guess I can't get another.

I cried for about 10 minutes on the way home. I was so excited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DerBayzVintage

Spyder Garage

Show this to your Harley friends. You might need to add a hitch to "peanut"!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Cool

Good for you, the more you ride the more you will get acquainted with it. I can't help with your questions because I have a F3-T, just happy for you.