Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on your new spyder. Sorry to hear about the oil leak, hopefully it's minor. As stated in other numerous posts-your are a warrior keep on riding and you and Peanut will become 1. Dale

Spyder Garage

Default Poor Peanut........

Happy New Year everyone!

Well I just heard from the shop. They changed all the fluids and gave her a tune up. They said the back bake seems be worn, which seems strange to me with only 2,000 miles on her and they did not notice the oil leak. Here is the kicker, are you ready for it...

The left side mirror was being held with double sided duck tape..... really!

So I am little concerned about this purchase. Oil leak, duck tape mirror and the back brake being worn in under 2,000 miles.

They are going to keep her for another 5 days to keep an eye on the leak and wait for the new mirror to come in. Should I be concerned or am I overreacting?
    Breathing New Life into Forgotten Treasures

DerBayzVintage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As far as the mirror: that's a sneaky thing to do; but an easy fix!
    (The pucks and wires that actually hold the mirror on, can be easily and cheaply replaced.
    The rear brake... Spyders have always worn the rear pads out quicker than the fronts; but 2000 miles does seem a bit premature. I wouldn't be too worried: let's see if they find a reason for it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Always the voice of reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    As far as the mirror: that's a sneaky thing to do; but an easy fix!
    (The pucks and wires that actually hold the mirror on, can be easily and cheaply replaced.
    The rear brake... Spyders have always worn the rear pads out quicker than the fronts; but 2000 miles does seem a bit premature. I wouldn't be too worried: let's see if they find a reason for it!

DerBayzVintage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's to hoping that the oil leak can be easily repaired!

EDIT: It's possible that it's just the results of a messy oil-change, and you're seeing what was dripped down into the bodywork...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 01-03-2017 at 03:33 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

Quote Originally Posted by Bytemi View Post
    Happy New Year everyone!

Well I just heard from the shop. They changed all the fluids and gave her a tune up. They said the back bake seems be worn, which seems strange to me with only 2,000 miles on her and they did not notice the oil leak. Here is the kicker, are you ready for it...

The left side mirror was being held with double sided duck tape..... really!

So I am little concerned about this purchase. Oil leak, duck tape mirror and the back brake being worn in under 2,000 miles.

They are going to keep her for another 5 days to keep an eye on the leak and wait for the new mirror to come in. Should I be concerned or am I overreacting?
    Hi, IMHO I would be concerned about who is working on your Spyder.... I know how much those mirrors weigh & no way dbl sided tape is going to hold them on ....... and My RT has 28,000 miles of aggressive riding and I still have pad material left front & rear ......... & a TUNE-UP I hate to say this but I think they are giving you the " OH SHE's JUST A DUMB BROAD " treatment .....which I don't agree with ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Yeah, you're over reacting, Bytemi...

- maybe the previous owner rode with their foot lightly on the brake all the time,
    - maybe the previous owner was heading off on a trip and couldn't wait for replacement mirror parts so they used duct tape and hey.......it works well, no need to replace the parts,
    - maybe the oil leak was from one of the plugs and it has now been tightened after the oil change.....

No need to worry unless the dealer finds something substantial amiss.........it's soooooooo easy for ME to say "don't worry"

Here's hoping they are all just minor ailments which happen to ALL machines at some time.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I dunno Mike, my 2013 RT was serviced by a (now defunct) dealer here in South Aust, & the mirror they broke the top pellet on didn't fall off until I'd ridden almost 20 odd miles of the trip home!! It was only held on by a very carefully & tightly packed wad of duct tape wadded into the top pellet position before the mirror was jammed on & (I'd guess) held there until it stuck!! But I didn't notice anything untoward until the vibrations in that mirror started getting worse than normal once I left the Hwy & hit the rougher roads; from then on I was watching it pretty carefully so that when it finally peeled off & began to fall I managed to catch it before it went too far!! Good thing our 'new' Dealer here is a whole lot better!

So Bytemi, as Pete says, here's hoping they are all just minor ailments which (can & do) happen to ALL machines at some time; there's no need to get too worried at the first little thing! I'd even go so far as to say that most 2nd hand vehicles have some 'little niggles' like these that need working thru & sorting early in the piece, but once they all get sorted, then the rest of the vehicles' life generally turns out pretty good & usually fairly trouble free!! There aren't all that many vehicles (or Spyders) on the over-all scheme of things that reveal themselves to be absobloodylute lemons!! So don't worry too much & bring trouble down on yourself, rather, put it out there to the universe that this Spyder is going to be a good thing for you that behaves & works well; besides, you've already paid your 'trouble' dues, you don't need or warrant any more! Think positive, be positive, & positively enjoy it!

Ryde More - Worry Less!

(And keep an eye on this space for a simple & innovative 'fix' for those pesky mirror pucks or pellets or whatever the stupid mounting system is called!! )
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-03-2017 at 04:28 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default DON'T WORRY !!!!!!

Pete and Peter ...... Tune-up at 2100 miles !!!!! Brakes 2100 miles change !!!!! ALL FLUIDS at 2100 miles !!!!! & you seriously DON"T think She's being taken advantage of ????? ........ If it was you - would you accept that !!!!! .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I may have it wrong Mike, but if you read back thru the last couple of pages in this thread, I reckon Bytemi took her 'new to her' Spyder in to get those things done & to have it checked over for anything else wrong because it is 'new to her' & it had a few minor issues that she was concerned needed looking at for her peace of mind & to make sure that everything that shoulda been done had actually been done - which is what the dealer has done for her. And since the complete fluid change & check over of everything is pretty much what she asked them to do, then no, I don't think she's being taken advantage of.

But you would be right, IF it was just an unsolicited 'Hey, you need to do all this stuff' from the dealer, instead of an 'OK, we did what you asked us to do & here's what we found'
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-03-2017 at 07:19 PM.

Spyder Garage

I did ask them to fully check her out for my own piece of mind. The fact that they found a taped on mirror which explains why I couldn't adjust it means that they fully looked her over. The brake thing seems weird to me and they didn't say it needs immediate replacement. It's a $12 part for the mirror.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DerBayzVintage

Spyder Garage

I have had an l 4&5 fusion in my back. Not a real big deal but after that for the next 10 years from time to time my hip would go in to a spasm. Some times I had to really focus not to freak. Loved my HDs though & it was infrequent.
    Has never happened with our RT

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Pete and Peter ...... Tune-up at 2100 miles !!!!! Brakes 2100 miles change !!!!! ALL FLUIDS at 2100 miles !!!!! & you seriously DON"T think She's being taken advantage of ????? ........ If it was you - would you accept that !!!!! .... Mike
    Having read Bytemi's posts, Mike, she doesn't seem like the sort of person who you would try to take advantage of, if you valued keeping your nuts .....
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Good thread. TY for sharing. Re the turn signals they are supposed to cancel out automatically after the turn or 30 seconds of driving. But they can be cranky. The tape on the mirror leads me to suspect someone screwed up at the dealer when it was put together (it comes in a crate). It may not have been a mechanic that put it together. Its a strange mounting system and easy to break if you don't know how it assembles. You will soon discover you want extra goodies on Peanut and BRP goodies are pricey but this forum is a good resource of what to put on and where to get it. Check out the sponsors on the home page. I agree about the dealer situation. How many dealers are there in your area? In SouCal we have a bunch but not all have certified Spyder mechanics.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

Default OPINIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Having read Bytemi's posts, Mike, she doesn't seem like the sort of person who you would try to take advantage of, if you valued keeping your nuts .....
    To Pete and Peter - in my first post on this ( 131 ) after I said HI .... I said .... IMHO ...... many people don't know when they are getting shafted .... and maybe that isn't the case here .... ( but I'm betting it is )...... I wonder how many people have had the valves checked ( allegedly )on their 990/998 series V-twins for approx. $ 600-700. Only to discover ....they were never checked .... but charged ...... because the Dealers are well aware that the valves RARELY need adjusting below 50,000 miles.....Ask " Spyderjockey " about His V-twin !!!!!....... Yes, I lost my faith in dealer honesty a long time ago......... JMHO...... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 01-03-2017 at 11:51 PM.

Spyder Garage

Keep it up. You are a inspiration to all of us on this forum.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't remove them, but you wouldn't be able to use them for awhile........

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post

DerBayzVintage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

The closest dealer that I have, keeps the bikes outside and keeps them for months even for simple oil change, so we decided to go a little further out this time 45 minutes from the house and try this new dealership. So far no complaints. The brake thing is weird but they did what asked quickly and on time. Now I know why I was unable to adjust the drivers mirror. My next dealership will be an hour away and run by the same dealership as the close one, so I am hoping this one works out..

I'm not worried about the cost of BRP goodies, I am the person that truck bed lined her spyder for $30 instead of buying phantom panels. I can be creative at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    Good thread. TY for sharing. Re the turn signals they are supposed to cancel out automatically after the turn or 30 seconds of driving. But they can be cranky. The tape on the mirror leads me to suspect someone screwed up at the dealer when it was put together (it comes in a crate). It may not have been a mechanic that put it together. Its a strange mounting system and easy to break if you don't know how it assembles. You will soon discover you want extra goodies on Peanut and BRP goodies are pricey but this forum is a good resource of what to put on and where to get it. Check out the sponsors on the home page. I agree about the dealer situation. How many dealers are there in your area? In SouCal we have a bunch but not all have certified Spyder mechanics.

DerBayzVintage

Spyder Garage

IMHO (in my humble opinion)......

To Pete and Peter - in my first post on this ( 131 ) after I said HI .... I said .... IMHO ...... many people don't know when they are getting shafted .... and maybe that isn't the case here .... ( but I'm betting it is )...... I wonder how many people have had the valves checked ( allegedly )on their 990/998 series V-twins for approx. $ 600-700. Only to discover ....they were never checked .... but charged ...... because the Dealers are well aware that the valves RARELY need adjusting below 50,000 miles.....Ask " Spyderjockey " about His V-twin !!!!!....... Yes, I lost my faith in dealer honesty a long time ago......... JMHO...... Mike

DerBayzVintage

Spyder Garage

Default Perfect Example of Why if you have MS, You Need a Spyder

I'm not sure if I've said this before, but my husband rides a Harley. So he was out for a group ride when one of the older members (herein after referred to Old Man, because I can't remember his name) pulled up to light and literally just fell over. Everyone ran over and helped him get up and pick up his bike. He said "I forgot to put my foot down". They all assume he may still be a little tipsy from the night before. It happened three more times on this ride.

When they stopped for lunch Erik asked "OK what is up with forgetting to put your foot down?"
    Old Man "I have MS, its not automatic for me to put my leg down, I have to tell it to go there."
    Erik "and that is why my wife rides a Spyder."

LOL, he said everyone just stared at him. He and the Old Man had a longer conversation about MS after that and I guess Erik proved that yes his wife did in fact have MS. People are funny!!!!! and people with MS tend to fight back instead of letting it win! I created this for the store after I started making Rosaries and Prayer Beads and I think it really represents what it means to have MS:

Yes I made one for Erik to give to the Old Man, he attached it to his saddle bags.

DerBayzVintage

Spyder Garage

Pete and Peter ...... Tune-up at 2100 miles !!!!! Brakes 2100 miles change !!!!! ALL FLUIDS at 2100 miles !!!!! & you seriously DON"T think She's being taken advantage of ????? ........ If it was you - would you accept that !!!!! .... Mike [emoji106]
    I think if I'd bought a bike that had been sitting as much as Bytemi's had, I'd do the same thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Bytemi,
    I've just read this thread through from the first post to here and I just gotta say.....

Thank you, thank you, thank you, for posting this thread, keeping up with it, and letting all of us that read (and ride) understand a little better about how the Spyder and this spyder community can help with allowing folks with conditions like MS, (MD someone else mentioned) continue to ride and enjoy the road.

My 2017 New Years prayer for you is that this maintenance is what gets you back on the road comfortably, successfully, and Happy enough to bring more tears to your eyes as you ride throughout the rest of the year.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

DGoebel, Thank you for your service!

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Bytemi,
    I've just read this thread through from the first post to here and I just gotta say.....

Thank you, thank you, thank you, for posting this thread, keeping up with it, and letting all of us that read (and ride) understand a little better about how the Spyder and this spyder community can help with allowing folks with conditions like MS, (MD someone else mentioned) continue to ride and enjoy the road.

My 2017 New Years prayer for you is that this maintenance is what gets you back on the road comfortably, successfully, and Happy enough to bring more tears to your eyes as you ride throughout the rest of the year.

DerBayzVintage