Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2014 sts brake light problem

Help! Our brake lights will not engage. We have checked the bulb, fuses, brake fluid, battery connector, and wiring. Brakes work, but this problem will throw us in limp mode. Any suggestions?
    2023 F3L , Petro Metallic

Spyder Garage

Look at switches located on brake pedal lever. They are covered in a rubber dust boot.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I would agree. Inspect the brake light switch. Likely dirty. Clean it and it should be fine. It is on the maintenance schedule to be cleaned but often overlooked.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The brake light switch on the ST has been a problem
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Brake Light stays on

Can anyone point out where the brake light switch is?? My brake light is sticking on and if I forget it kills the battery.

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 333Club View Post
    Can anyone point out where the brake light switch is?? My brake light is sticking on and if I forget it kills the battery.

Thanks
    Picture.

Capture.jpg

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 333Club View Post

Thanks
    PASTED FROM OTHER THREAD....

Hi all,

My brake light stays on 100% of time when I turn the bike off, or ride down the road. Cruise doesn't work because of this. Have to quickly tap the pedal very fast with my fingers to finally get the stupid thing off

I was about to do the "shaving of the rubber stop", when I noticed something. The bike was COLD, I pushed the brake lever to duplicate the problem. It worked FINE. The lever dropped about 1/4" then I heard the click. Came back up, heard the strong click again and the light went off. However - it seems there is some brains between the switch and the light OR the switches stick, as when I move the lever fast, sometimes the light would stay on, BUT very easy to to turn off with one press on the lever. But again the switch was activating and de-activating exactly when it should...

Now when the bike is HOT, everything changes!! I can NOT hear the switch at all. Again with the fast tapping. Pulling the brake lever UP hard does nothing. It's like the switch is stuck. So it sounds like the switch, but... when it is cold it is fine! So looking under the bike I see the switches are behind a rubber cover. That rubber cover is like 5mm from the MUFFLER! I found this out the hard way, I went to pop the rubber cover off and the box (containing the switches) was damn hot - burnt the crap outta myself. So if that box is THAT hot, the switches are roasting.

So what I am trying is taking muffler tape (fiberglass wrap), folding it up to the size of the box (maybe 3" x 4") and shoving it in between the rubber cover and the muffler to try to get the temperature of the switches down while the engine is hot.

I am waiting for the fiberglass tape. Thought I would post my thoughts to see if anyone with the 2013 ST that has this problem can confirm/deny the switch acting different when it is cold versus hot. Brake like works fine when engine is cold, fails when hot.

Steve