Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Fox Shocks and Sway Bar

I'm hoping for some guidance on suspension upgrades for my ST-S. I've seen the BajaRon sway bar highly recommended, but do the shocks also need upgrading for it to be most effective? The folks who serviced my bike last recommended Fox shocks instead of a sway bar, but it sure looks to me as though the Fox shock kit they were suggesting ordering from Can Am also comes with an upgraded sway bar, just not a BajaRon.

Anyway, if both better shocks and a BajaRon sway bar are the best way to go, which is what I think I've gathered from reading these forums, is there any way to get the correct Fox shocks *without* the Can Am sway bar? The Can Am website just describes them as 7.5" (if memory serves) and this doesn't seem to correspond to the system used to describe Fox shocks on other sites.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't seem to find an answer to it anywhere.

PS. I understand the Elka shocks are considered even better, but I'm not quite ready to put that much money in.
    PPS. Would this work be something I might be able to have done at Spyderquest in September? This will be my first time going.
    Last edited by Questions; 06-12-2016 at 07:39 PM. Reason: clarity

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All good questions, I researched thoroughly too for my 13 st. Here is what I learned...

the brp sway bar with the fox shocks kit is a cheaper way to go - but the sway bar is not as big/strong as bajaron. Mixed reviews on the fox shocks.

when you get a sway bar, make sure you get new heim links too

you may try someone's take-off fox shocks from sts, a cheap alternative if you can get them - oh I see you have sts - doesn't it already have fox shocks? If it does I suggest bajaron sway bar, and adjust your existing shocks, that will make a big difference. See how that goes before trying different shocks.

oh and a laser alignment if you haven't had it done is absolutely essential...

FYI I have bajaron sway bar and links, which made a great difference. Then I found a set of three elka shocks (hardly used) and they really showed up how poor the st ltd (not fox) shocks were. I now have tri axis bars and it's all so much better I hardly believe it's the same bike. It's a keeper for sure, now!

Hope this helps, others will chip in I'm sure.

Spyder Garage

Default Depends....

If you have the Fox shocks already just adjust them if handling is not to your liking. The kit (didn't work for 2012 and prior years) so I can't say but the BajaRon bar and joints are much better. If you don't have the Fox shocks I would suggest the BajaRon bar and joints first and ryde it for 500 miles or so. Adjust the shocks you have if you can. If still not satisfied move on to the shocks...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Great minds think alike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you loisk and Chupaca! Much appreciated. I will try to figure out what shocks I've got now. If they are Foxes it would be great - I'd just go ahead and order the Bajaron bar and links then. If not, sounds like I either try the Bajaron bar and links anyway, or I'm stuck buying the Can Am bar unless I find used shocks.

There's nowhere nearby to get a laser alignment, unfortunately. Maybe at Spyderquest...
    Last edited by Questions; 06-13-2016 at 07:28 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You know you can put the bajaron bar on with standard shocks. That was the setup I had for a year at least, and I got lots of benefit. Worry about shocks later - keep your eyes open for a bargain...

Spyder Garage

In order of importance
    Get the Baja Ron Sway bar with the hiem links.
    Get a laser alignment
    Like you said, if you still want Elka shocks, get them at Spyderfest. They build them for each individuals needs, and free install there.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

I love my Elka shocks but the main reason I got them is because Im heavy and was bottoming out alot. Speaking of bottoming out, get a skid plate also.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can see my disposable income disappearing on farkles...

Spyder Garage

I have a '13 STS and front shocks are not adjustable, Fox shocks became standard equipment for 2014 and above. I put the BajaRon bar and billet joints on and got a Laser Alignment, it fixed all my handling issues. I do not ride easy, I will charge through twisty turns as hard as I can whenever possible, handles great. I also increased my front tire pressure to 20 lbs and cornering is better yet! Have fun and ride safe!!
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ingramwc View Post
    I have a '13 STS and front shocks are not adjustable, Fox shocks became standard equipment for 2014 and above. I put the BajaRon bar and billet joints on and got a Laser Alignment, it fixed all my handling issues. I do not ride easy, I will charge through twisty turns as hard as I can whenever possible, handles great. I also increased my front tire pressure to 20 lbs and cornering is better yet! Have fun and ride safe!!
    Thanks, I am unaware of any adjustment on mine either, and there are no visible manufacturers markings, although I haven't gone out there with a mirror yet. That dealership is the only place where I've heard shocks recommended over an upgraded sway bar, so it seems they held a minority opinion. I am going over to the more experienced shop on Long Island that sold me the bike in a few days to consult with them in the heat issue and will talk to them about installing a Bajaron bar while I'm at it! Many thanks to all for the advice.

Spyder Garage

I have the Baja Ron sway bar and the fox shocks on my 13 ST limited and it makes alot of difference in handling, more so two up.

The Fox shocks have a logo that you cant miss just above the bottom mount (see below), plus the Fox's have a threaded adjuster at the top that the stock shock wont.

I bought the Can Am kit with shocks and sway bar...but mainly for the shocks off ebay due to the great price (see link below for similar). When i got the kit, i compared the Can Am Sway bar to the Baja Ron...and without a micrometer and just going by eyeballing, the two sway bars look the same. I dont know about the tensile strength of the two in comparison but size-wise they are close in DIAMETER. I went with the Baja Ron and have the Can Am sway bar sitting in a box in the garage. Love the combo. Carves thru turns flatter, you can really dive into the turns.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1821416...&ul_noapp=true
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2013 Spyder ST Limited...Akrapovic Sport Silencer, Fog Lights, Backrest, Spyderpops BumpSkid, 2014 cooling panels, BajaRon swaybar, Fox shocks, RS-S mag wheels...
    2014 Spyder RT-S, Spyderpops BumpSkid, BajaRon Swaybar, TricLED lighting, Magic Mirrors, Akrapovic Sport Silencer...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks NSPYTE! My shocks look nothing like the pic - no logo, no adjustment. I'm glad to get that cleared up. I may order a set off that link after I talk to the dealer, it's a super good price!
    Last edited by Questions; 06-14-2016 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Autocorrect...

Spyder Garage

On a question like this, gathering first-hand user reports from as many of us has to be a good thing.

When I first got my 2013 ST-S I was disappointed in the wallowing and lane wandering of the machine compared to the 2008 GS models I was so very used to. I first worked through the air pressures and alignment, convinced it was as good as it could be in stock configuration.

Next thing I did was install BajaRon sway bar (anti-sway bar, technically). Holy smokes, what a difference! Flatter cornering, less lane wandering, maybe a touch firmer but closer to the more responsive GS set-up I was used to.

Next I installed a set of the BRP Fox Podium shocks. I would have to say this made almost as much of a difference as installing the Baja Ron sway bar. I was doubtful it would, but it again proved to be a worthy investment. I needed the preload adjustability for proper ride height and to keep the nose up, as well as to keep the front end flat during cornering. Again, I wanted a responsive machine, not a wallowing boat.

Once I had worn out the crappy OEM front tires, I next installed a set of Kumho KH 16 front tires (155/60r15) that are slightly narrower (10 mm) as tires in the OEM size are hard to come by. Once again, the front end was firmer and flatter in cornering with the new tires that offered greater load capacity and offered more sidewall strength. If one wants a comfy soft cushy boat, don't bother. if you want a Spyder that doesn't wander around as much and corners flat with less body roll again a good upgrade.

That has been my experience. All items made a noticeable difference. Personally I would do the sway bar first, then the tires, then the shocks, but that's me. Hope this helps.

2021 RT Limited - Deep Marsala Red – 4,200 miles

2013 ST-S SE-5 - Circuit Yellow – 56,000 miles

2015 F3-S SM-6
    - Can-Am Red Solid Gloss – 2,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #659
    - Full Moon – 34,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #006
    - Full Moon – 34,800 miles - SOLD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Sledmaster! Did you get a laser alignment too?

Mine is the only Spyder I've ever ridden and I thought its tendency to wallow in corners was normal, but after going for a Sunday ride with Jim Evans and his wife, I could certainly see the difference in how their RT handled tight curves. Of course top priority is to get the heat issue taken care of (melted Tupperware is just a bit alarming). But if BRP will take care of that, I'll have the disposable income for farkling.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JoAnn R View Post
    Thanks Sledmaster! Did you get a laser alignment too?

Mine is the only Spyder I've ever ridden and I thought its tendency to wallow in corners was normal, but after going for a Sunday ride with Jim Evans and his wife, I could certainly see the difference in how their RT handled tight curves. Of course top priority is to get the heat issue taken care of (melted Tupperware is just a bit alarming). But if BRP will take care of that, I'll have the disposable income for farkling.
    Your top priority should be getting the heat management installed. It's covered under warranty.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    Your top priority should be getting the heat management installed. It's covered under warranty.
    yes, top priority as I said. Unfortunately it was a used bike and the warranty is no more, but the dealership (who sold it both times) is willing to do what they can as I mentioned in my other thread (correction, I posted to the New Airflow Panel thread). Going over to see them Thursday. I certainly hope I don't end up eating the cost. That would definitely put suspension mods off for this year.
    Last edited by Questions; 06-14-2016 at 11:30 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Woohoo! BRP is sending out my new panels for the heat issue at no charge, so I just ordered a Bajaron bar/Lamonster links kit. Should be able to get everything done at the same time. Thanks to everyone for the great advice!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JoAnn R View Post
    Thanks, I am unaware of any adjustment on mine either, and there are no visible manufacturers markings, although I haven't gone out there with a mirror yet. That dealership is the only place where I've heard shocks recommended over an upgraded sway bar, so it seems they held a minority opinion. I am going over to the more experienced shop on Long Island that sold me the bike in a few days to consult with them in the heat issue and will talk to them about installing a Bajaron bar while I'm at it! Many thanks to all for the advice.
    JoAnn what town in Connecticut is your CanAm dealer,
    South Windsor
    East Haven
    Waterbury
    Stamford
    Just curious

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigsmoke View Post
    JoAnn what town in Connecticut is your CanAm dealer,
    South Windsor
    East Haven
    Waterbury
    Stamford
    Just curious
    None of the above.. . I've been to one in Columbia and have also visited Mike's Famous Harley-Davidson in New London, although I've never had any work done at the latter. The bike was purchased at Honda of Riverhead on Long Island (NY) and I'll be hopping a ferry over there soon to get the next round of work done.

Spyder Garage

Pray for JoAnnR
    She was just in an Accident on her Spyder. She said it is totaled and she is in the ER
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Prayers

Prayers for the Ryder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I'm fine

A few bruises and stiff joints, that's all! Thanks for the good wishes!

Spyder Garage

I'm glad you are OK, other than some bruises and stiff joints. I hope the "person" that hit you has insurance!!!!! Good luck with recovery and getting a whole Spyder!!!!
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5