Spyder Garage

Default On the road -- need rear tire "northeast" location

So, the ladyfriend and I are on the road, hauling the Spyder in our self-made mini "toy-hauler" (a 7x12 V-nose home-away- from- home). Left Georgia nearly a month ago, pulling the trailer with our Tundra. We've been stopping to camp in interesting places, unloading the RT and exploring local roads. Appparently, we've been exploring a LOT of local roads, because as I look at the tread wear bars inching ever closer to the height of the tread, I'm thinking we'll need a new tire before we get back home. We do not carry the requisite jack, 36mm socket, and related tools to pull the rear wheel on our own at a campground.

Presently, we are in Michigan's UP. We will cross over into Canada on June 14 at the Sault St Marie entrance, and meander our way across Ontario just north of Lake Huron, camp a few days in Algonquin Provincial Park, and make our way back into the States through New England/New York/PA toward mid-Ohio, arriving in Zanesville around the 4th of July. Route can be altered to suit finding some assistance.

The chances of finding a dealer who is willing to mount a car tire are probably pretty slim, and I hate the thought of paying full shop labor and parts to have the "recommended" BRP-brand installed.

1. Does anyone somewhere near this highly modifiable route know of a dealer or indy shop which might be willing to install a car tire for me?

2. Does anyone have their own shop space and necessary tools to give me a hand with doing the work ourselves? (repayment in coin of the realm, premium beer of home-brewed coffee, dinner at the primo restaurant of your choosing, or combinatio of above)

I'm feeling both requests are a long shot, but have found motorcycle forums to be incredibly good at turning up scarce recources, and you never know unless you ask. What are the old "Four C's" of private aviation when you find yourself in trouble?

(remain) Calm
    Climb
    Communicate
    Confess

I confess I should have just installed a new tire before undertaking this super-good trip, and admit my pisspoorplanning isn't someone else's emergency!

Anyone?

my cell number is 404-414-6474, (call or text) which, given the in-and-out nature of internet availability on the road, is probably the best way to reach me. However, I'll check for PMs as well.

Thanks in advance.

Pete
    Pete Tamblyn
    Cleveland, GA

2020 F3 Limited (black)

Time Out XL1800 cargo trailer

2019 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor
    2018 Kawasaki Versys-X 300

2013 ST (sold)
    2015 F3-S SOLD
    2014 RT-Limited (cognac) SOLD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Try this..

Download the spyder codes app (free) and they have a list of all dealers car tires may be a problem but also there are spyders to the rescue list that can help as well...there are several you can check
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I second Netzley Tire. They installed a Kuhmo for me last fall. How far south in NY state are you willing to go? They are in Accord NY.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Netzley Tire: (845) 687 9875
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Netzley Tire is the way to go. Less expensive than going to a dealer and you get better service. Call Derrick Netzley now, so he can order in the exact tire you want. He's got his cell phone number in that link.

Plus, the Catskill Mountain area of NY is a beautiful area to ride through. I was there for three days when I got my tire. Didn't want to leave. PM me if you want a recommendation of a nice quiet motel and some good eating places in the area.
    Last edited by robmorg; 06-11-2016 at 05:32 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Rob!
    Between the two of us: he's got both Ron and Derick's phone numbers!

Spyder Garage

Default neltzy

Thanks for the input. I could route through Accord, NY if that's where help is available. Agree on the Catskills suggestion as to mice place to be "stuck."

Will Netzley be able to R&R the rear wheel?
    Pete Tamblyn
    Cleveland, GA

2020 F3 Limited (black)

2013 ST (sold)
    2015 F3-S SOLD

Spyder Garage

Default On the road, need tire.

Before you buy make sure you are looking at the "wear' bars and not the center bars in the treads. I was told I needed one. Ordered thru the dealer and paid ahead. Got there and the service manager said I did not need a tire yet. the wear bars are toward the outside of tire. the inner ones are part of hydroplaning or something like that. Just a thought!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have to agree with the above post. Many people have been confused about which bars in between the tread are the wear bars.

BUT

If you do need a new tire as mentioned above Netzley tire in New York is probably your best bet.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by motoswami View Post
    Thanks for the input. I could route through Accord, NY if that's where help is available. Agree on the Catskills suggestion as to mice place to be "stuck."

I have had a few tires put on there, and those guys can do anything you need done. If you come down I-81 you will pass within a half hour of my house. If you end up driving down 81 and I have the day off of work I would be more than willing to lead you right to their door. I know all of the best roads to get there.

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

If "R&R" means "remove and reinstall", then yes. Derrick has re-tired many hundreds of Spyders and, like the above poster said, he can do whatever you want done. He'll remove the wheel without affecting the alignment, and he has the right size equipment to mount a tire on a Spyder rim. Not entirely sure, but I believe he can even do a laser alignment, if you want one.

I live in SE Pennsylvania. I called him and made an appointment to come up and he ordered in the tire I wanted before I arrived. He had it installed within an hour of my arrival. I was in the Catskills for three days by my own choice. It is such a beautiful area for riding with all the wooded back roads and the multiple large reservoirs, etc. (The reservoir system feeds water to NYC, 130+ miles to the south.) A lot of history in the area too, going all the way back to the Revolutionary War days. Then, of course, there is the infamous "Denman Insurance Agency", where everyone who stops by on a Spyder gets their picture taken in front of the company sign.
    Last edited by robmorg; 06-11-2016 at 10:36 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Myron Ah View Post
    Before you buy make sure you are looking at the "wear' bars and not the center bars in the treads. I was told I needed one. Ordered thru the dealer and paid ahead. Got there and the service manager said I did not need a tire yet. the wear bars are toward the outside of tire. the inner ones are part of hydroplaning or something like that. Just a thought!
    Right along the edge of the tread, where the tread meets the sidewall, there are small arrows molded into the rubber that point to the tread. They are pointing at the wear bars.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Netzley's is your best bet. Ron and Derrick are great guys to deal with. Awesome prices. Get your baby later aligned there also. Heck, post here so maybe we can have a soirée there to welcome you. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Default re: sponse

This forum rocks. On the instant advice from everyone above, I called Derrick Netzley's number on a Sunday afternoon (!) and within 5 minutes he called me back saying he had a choice of several tires in stock and for me to just give him a call 3-4 days out and we would set up an appointment.

How cool is that? No, really -- how COOL is that?

Calm, climb, communicate, confess.

Thanks, guys. As the date comes closer, 10 days from now (plus or minus....), I'll be retired. The kind offers for company/companionship/elbow-bending and such will get answered individually. Look forward to meeting up with some fellow forum members.

Pete
    Pete Tamblyn
    Cleveland, GA

2020 F3 Limited (black)

2013 ST (sold)
    2015 F3-S SOLD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As Tom said: let us know when you'll be there, and maybe a party will break out!

Spyder Garage

Let me make it unanimous on recommending Netzley Tire.

You might as well go ahead and get a laser alignment while you're there.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Default arrival in Accord, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

As Tom said: let us know when you'll be there, and maybe a party will break out!
    I figure it will be sometime around June 23, plus or minus a couple of days either way. I'll post a note when I've got an appointment.

We're going to be camping in the 7x12. Anyone know a particularly niice campground that offers the basics (water and electric plus bathhouse)???

Gotta be some good aspots in/near the Catskills.

Pete
    Pete Tamblyn
    Cleveland, GA

2020 F3 Limited (black)

2013 ST (sold)
    2015 F3-S SOLD

arntufun

I figure it will be sometime around June 23, plus or minus a couple of days either way. I'll post a note when I've got an appointment.

We're going to be camping in the 7x12. Anyone know a particularly niice campground that offers the basics (water and electric plus bathhouse)???

Gotta be some good aspots in/near the Catskills.

Pete

There is a campground only minutes from Ron and Derick's House/tire shop. I think it's called Roundout Valley Campground.
    I also recommend Netzley Tire !!!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

they'll be able to take care of your tire needs completely. if you need lazer alignment, they do that too!!!