Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Replace brake pads

Anyone have step by step to replace front and rear pads?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by smokster View Post
    Anyone have step by step to replace front and rear pads?

I did my front and back at 18,000 miles. If you have done disc brakes on a car, its the same thing.

Sorry, but I didn't write down what I did, buts its very easy. I did all three in less than an hour.

I recommend using "Disc Brake Quiet" to reduce or eliminate the brake Squeal. Also, the New re-disigned pads have a black steel plate on the back verus the Pink ones that do in fact squeal.

Spyder Garage

can you get better brake pads, like HH seather pads?
    I am existing right now, would give anything to live again. Fix my sci and you have everything I own.

crash tester for:

www.industrialspecialty.com

http://pitbullpowersportsinc.com/pbp/home.html the best dealer on the planet, sure wish I lived closer.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Agree, it is very easy. PM me your email address and I can give you exactly what the manual states to do. Once I started, I didn't even look at it.
    The kits come with everything you need and the bolts already have locktight on them for the rear...the fronts will need them as well. It is best to have a torque wrench if you don't know how to feel it out.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Change rear brake pads with wheel on bike?

Can you replace the rear brake pads with the wheel on the bike? The brakes on my Spyder do not squeal, but they don't seem to be very agressive in stopping the machine. Are there brake pads available from sources other than BRP? Thanks for your advice.

Spyder Garage

Yes you can change the rear brake pads with out taking off the tire.. Be sure to take off the Parking brake cable so it don't get damaged... On Sunday I took my rear and front brake pads off to apply some silicone on the back of the pads because mine SQEAKED really bad at low speeds... The front ones are a bit differant then a normal Disc brake system... They bolt on a little differant but easy, more important note is on the front pads there are 2 springs that lock into a stud coming from the caliper, you will have to PREY the top of the pad out then lift the pad up,, kind of hard to explain but again this is a pretty easy task.. As for types of pads etc I think its more on the lines of personal perferrance..
    Hope this help..

Joe

Spyder Garage

EBC also offer Spyder brake pads now.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tjfischer View Post
    I did my front and back at 18,000 miles. If you have done disc brakes on a car, its the same thing.
    I took my Spyder in yesterday because I am getting a "Brake failure warning". The dealer called me today and said I need new brake pads and that is the cause of the warning. I only have 9,300 miles on it and don't even use the brakes in most cases. I have the feeling they are just trying to sell something rather than figure out the real problem.

They also told me that most pads only last 8,000-11,000 miles. Anyone else replace brakes before hitting 10k?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I too was getting the "Brake Failure" message with 15,000 miles. Checked brake fluid and one reservoir was a little low. Topped it off and all is well. That was 3 weeks ago. I doubt you need new pads, check the fluid levels first.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Default new bolts?

For the rear brake caliper manual says to discard bolts when removing, any idea what size and type bolts, can i get them at hardware or dealer only?
    Ram mount on both upper air deflectors custom ram mount for ATC9k action cam
    Chrome Dear Whistles
    Dual Color MagicFLEX® Channelz finder lights
    TIPZ units
    CAN AM SPYDER RT RADIATOR UPPER BLOCK OFF PLATE
    CAN AM SPYDER RT RADIATOR LOWER BLOCK OFF PLATE
    CATALYTIC CONVERTER SHIELD
    TITANIUM EXHAUST WRAP
    JT's AIR FILTER KIT

Spyder Garage

More then likely the factory bolts have a locking agent on them. That's my guess is why they say replace. Did I hear someone say Loctite?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've got the rear caliper off and the parking brake cable removed. I am unable to get the piston back in for the new pads. It won't budge. The manual says to rotate lever to pull piston back in but it's seems stuck.

Help
    Thanks
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    I've got the rear caliper off and the parking brake cable removed. I am unable to get the piston back in for the new pads. It won't budge. The manual says to rotate lever to pull piston back in but it's seems stuck.

Help
    Thanks
    I did mine last week and mine turned easy using needle nose pliers but my bike only has 3500 miles. Autozone rents out a brake caliper piston tool to turn it in while applying pressure.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I tried using pliers as well as the Autozone kit but couldn't turn the piston and the kit didn't have an adapter that fit. Due to trying to "pull lever back" to retract piston, I ended up with the pads removed and the piston all the way out.

Luckily my Elk Grove dealer fixed everything under warranty, even replacing the master cylinder that was leaking.

Thanks
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Glad the dealer fixed it for you.
    Last edited by elkk; 04-14-2015 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Deleted wrong info
    2005 Suzuki Burgman 650AN
    2008 Can Am Spyder RS SM5
    2014 Mustang GT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No using C clamp. I tried but piston wouldn't budge and I didn't want to force it. The lever is supposed to pull the piston back in. But the dealer says they use needle nose pliers to "screw" the piston back in as that is part of the parking brake feature.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by yamahog View Post
    For the rear brake caliper manual says to discard bolts when removing, any idea what size and type bolts, can i get them at hardware or dealer only?
    If you buy the Brake Pad Kit from Can Am it comes with new bolts pre-treated w loctite and spring clips. I see no reason why you couldn't clean and lube the old bolts, be sure to use loctite on the threads only.
    2014 Mustang GT

Spyder Garage

Be careful recommending 2012 and below brake replacement procedures with 2013 and above with the Brembo calipers. They are two different processes!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    No using C clamp. I tried but piston wouldn't budge and I didn't want to force it. The lever is supposed to pull the piston back in. But the dealer says they use needle nose pliers to "screw" the piston back in as that is part of the parking brake feature.
    I retract my earlier statement regarding the pistons "screwing in". I was referring to early models and was not aware 2012 and up brake pistons do screw in. Sorry for the confusion and thanks to Bob (below) for bringing me up to date.
    Last edited by elkk; 04-14-2015 at 09:11 PM. Reason: RETRACTION
    2014 Mustang GT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by elkk View Post
    The dealer is full of bull. The piston does not screw in or out and using any tool on the piston surface may scar the metal causing it to stick, it simply pushes in with a C-clamp, it does not push in flush with the caliper so don't force it. I use the old pad a thin piece of plastic against the piston. Also as you push the piston back in as far as it will go be careful not to push brake fluid out of the brake fluid reservoir (rear reservoir for front brakes, front reservoir is for the rear brake)...causes a big mess and it will ruin paint instantly.
    Again, the 2013's an up have Brembo calipers and NO you do not push them in with a C-clamp! They screw in!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's a picture of the rear caliper. If you look close you can see a hole in the piston head which is one of two that you are supposed to use to screw the piston back inside.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429054488.724224.jpg

No matter how hard I tried to screw/push the piston, it wouldn't budge. Would love to see it worked on by experts to see how everything works.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2011 rss rear brake pad replacement

Can someone confirm how to compress the piston on the 2011 rss rear brake. Trying to change the pads . Should the piston be flush to the caliper? Can I use a c-clamp ?

thank you

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mrfuzz View Post
    Can someone confirm how to compress the piston on the 2011 rss rear brake. Trying to change the pads . Should the piston be flush to the caliper? Can I use a c-clamp ?

thank you
    Remove the caps from the tank. You may have to take some fluid out so when you compress the piston it doesn't over flow!
    Yes you can compress the piston with a C-clamp on the 2011. I would compress it only far enough to get the pads in and enough to the caliper goes back on the disk.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Cool

is it reasonable to wait till there's a brake failure warning light to replace front pads?
    ...It does sound easy enough to pull the caliper and check the pads...
    they do have an indicator groove at 1mm to show they are at end of service, right ???
    And it's a way to start learning it.
    I've done brakes on other motorcycles, so I can't say I can't do it from a step by step procedure from the manual I downloaded.
    let's ride safe & be careful out there,
    Mike in Nawlins'
    2014 Black SE6 Limited "Charlotte"
    New Orleans Ride Captain
    Patriot Guard Riders

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WARNING LIGHT

...I'm not sure the Spyder can or will tell you the Brake PADS are too thin and need to be changed........The most frequent Failure CODE is from low Brake Fluid.......as little as a teaspoon will trigger it ........Mike