Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder caught fire today

Doesn't belong to me but I am curious the outcome with CanAm

http://www.news4jax.com/news/man-say...ing-road-trip#

Spyder Garage

Yikes....I have a 2010 RT.....ruh roh...
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by owcow View Post

You'll never know, as it will be between the owner, and BRP. Once the owner agrees on a settlement, if BRP offers one, the settlement will have a confidentiality clause included. I had a problem, not concerning a fire issue, and they made an offer, and it had the confidentiality clause.

If, however, BRP finds there may be other spyders involved, there may be a recall based on VIN; there's also another term used, other than recall, when BRP deems the issue not as serious.
    Last edited by wyliec; 06-09-2016 at 07:43 PM.

Spyder Garage

"News4JAx reached out to Can-Am, the company that makes the vehicle, and a spokesperson sent the following statement Thursday afternoon:
    "BRP is not aware of the incident in question. The customer should contact his dealer or BRP's customer service department at (888) 272-9222 so that a proper investigation can be conducted.

"Owners can access recall information on the Can-Am Spyder website, and they can enter their VIN directly to determine if a recall was issued on their vehicle."
    The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has investigated fires on Spyders before. News4Jax has not yet heard if it’ll launch an investigation due to Morales’ claims."

No problem here, just move along, standard BRP reply.

Edit: Remember to bring marshmallows for the cookout.
    Last edited by Sam Mac; 06-09-2016 at 07:52 PM.

Spyder Garage

Wow OK, so when I start look at new Spyders, they start exploding and catching fire. It might be better for BRP if I just stop looking for one.

When I got Billie, 2008 Premier Edition, the next week the reports of them catch fire was first announced.

Spyder Garage

Default ???

Things seem a little sketchy. Says it was a 2010 rts however they keep showing an F3 in the pix on the video. The funny smell, brake light and loss of brakes... hmmm wonder where someone's foot was resting. Glad no one was hurt but I get an odd feeling especially how quickly the attorney showed up.
    Traded 2013 rt s se5 for pearl white 2015 RTS se6 .
    Gloryder hubs
    622 trailer
    bumpskid
    Wife and I have been a couple since 1980
    32 years of wedded bliss

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by owcow View Post

This showed up a week ago also???????

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Ever ridden a bottle rocket? Ask Ann, and a lot of other folks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Could it have been one of those Spyders that had the recall, or advisory, or whatever it was, about brake fluid leaking onto the exhaust, and had never been fixed? To me the scenario fits, loss of brake fluid, leaking on exhaust, no brakes, brake light fault showing, and then presto, fire.

If it was subject to that recall & fix, and it was never done, he may not have much of a claim.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

and what an interesting first post to the site. Instead of reporting a fire incident, we have a tirade against BRP as well as a lawyer comment already. That sure did not take long to happen.

The other side, there have been less than 50 fires reported out of over 100,000 's made. The odds are in your favor of not catching on fire.

And the cause on this one?

I have a little bit of experience with the product and remain un-afraid. I am insured though, just in case.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-10-2016 at 01:58 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Don't know. ..!!

But looks fishy to me. This one has been around lawyer on the scene who has done extensive research on the problem, video showing different models etc. We don'the know why, how or when for sure and the driver looked totally recouped. ..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

This has the markings of a SCAM. He jumped off of a Spyder at 50 mph rolled on the grass, sustained injuries but got up and thought to take out his phone and take a movie of the spyder burning. Same day as this is reported his lawyer makes a statement that he has done extensive research into the fire problem. He's good. I like the remains after the fire nothing left. Doesn't even look like the fire department was called Too many question marks on this one. Looks like someone didn't get offered enough towards a trade-in. ???

Spyder Garage

I would have to lean towards he was dragging the brake pedal and overheated them to the point of a fire. I've demo'd a spyder every chance I could and I know it has always been mentioned to be careful about accidently resting your foot on the pedal.

The article had caught my attention as I live in Jacksonville same as this guy. I also remembered reading on here about a member or two having issues with fires before.
    I may need to go to three wheels soon and definitely consider the spyder the first choice. This forum has been a great wealth of information.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rogerb View Post
    This has the markings of a SCAM. He jumped off of a Spyder at 50 mph rolled on the grass, sustained injuries but got up and thought to take out his phone and take a movie of the spyder burning. Same day as this is reported his lawyer makes a statement that he has done extensive research into the fire problem. He's good. I like the remains after the fire nothing left. Doesn't even look like the fire department was called Too many question marks on this one. Looks like someone didn't get offered enough towards a trade-in. ???
    Lots of holes. The bike had mods done by the owner. Contributed...who knows. Made his own plates to block the hot air on his right foot. Had a muffler shop make a bypass pipe. Who knows the quality and how it held up to the movement and vibration. Jumped of at 50 MPH and 6 months ago he was in the hospital and couldn't move because of back problems, has had two back surgeries. And he walks away?? Not only did he take the video, he undocked his phone from the bike before bailing. 50 MPH = ~75 feet per second and the bike was only 40 feet away when there were multiple large explosions. So it stopped in less than a second? Or was he able to run down the road chasing it? Who knows, maybe it all happened as he said. Sad fact it BRP will probably settle just to make it go away.

Doubting Thomas

Spyder Garage

Sounds real fishy.

Spyder Garage

Default update

Quote Originally Posted by WellsboroSpyder View Post
    Things seem a little sketchy. Says it was a 2010 rts however they keep showing an F3 in the pix on the video. The funny smell, brake light and loss of brakes... hmmm wonder where someone's foot was resting. Glad no one was hurt but I get an odd feeling especially how quickly the attorney showed up.
    I know how the media distorts things and maybe that's what makes this seem fishy. So I apologize for maybe jumping to conclusions. I know our 15 rts has none of the heat issues of the 13. It's comforting when I lift the seat to refuel and I'm not blasted by heat.
    Traded 2013 rt s se5 for pearl white 2015 RTS se6 .
    Gloryder hubs
    622 trailer
    bumpskid
    Wife and I have been a couple since 1980
    32 years of wedded bliss

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that Jack is right; the area of the fire looks suspiciously like the area of the last Spyder fire that we saw...
    The 2010 RTs were NOT prone to becoming bottle-rockets...
    I throw the Bull- towel into the ring on this report.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    This showed up a week ago also???????

Jack
    Yes this is the same thing I posted a week ago or so.... It appeared on Facebook in the Can-Am group.
    It is legit...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...highlight=fire

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

FYI, this on happened in Hawaii about 4 months ago.

But it appears he may have done his own service replacing the ECM himself? Not sure...

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

FYI this is his FB page.... several posts about the fire.

https://www.facebook.com/william.morales.5055?ref=br_rs

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Very Active Member bronzeflex42's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Another Spyder fire, is always sad news. Glad dude is ok.
    2012 Spyder RT Limited Lava Bronze (Psalm 27:1;Luke 12:4,5)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    FYI this is his FB page.... several posts about the fire.

https://www.facebook.com/william.morales.5055?ref=br_rs

Bob
    I know him and there is not a question that it burned. Now the how and why on the other hand.........

CJ JAX

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zuni View Post
    I know him and there is not a question that it burned. Now the how and why on the other hand.........

CJ JAX
    I am going to guess here based on the report. He lost his brakes thus I think he got a brake fluid leak for "whatever reason" and since brake fluid is very flammable, when it hit the engine or exhaust, it caught fire.

While this was not a known issue on the 2010 it was on the 2013 because they moved the brake fluid tank and it would melt and leak.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you find out anything: please let us know...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default And this is why

you carry insurance.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited