Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, You, Bob, Lamont, Nancy's toy, are the names that come to mind, and the myriade of others, have had no issues and are not afraid. ADD my name to the list.

Spyder Garage

Glad he is ok and hope the reason comes to light... Also wondering why they keep showing an F3 in the video as well....
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Just watched the second video from Hawaii.. That guy sounded quite happy to watch his baby burn... I would have been soooo upset... Maybe he was so mad he had to laugh.
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

I see 2 things from this video. That ALL RT's will be included in the 2013 recall, like they should have from the git go. And #2, that guy will get a settlement and will be kept hush as the details, as BRP has done in the past.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

Default disagree

Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    I see 2 things from this video. That ALL RT's will be included in the 2013 recall, like they should have from the git go. And #2, that guy will get a settlement and will be kept hush as the details, as BRP has done in the past.

Don't know about the rest of you people, but our 2015 has no heat issues and therefore will not get a snorkel kit on it like the 2013.
    Traded 2013 rt s se5 for pearl white 2015 RTS se6 .
    Gloryder hubs
    622 trailer
    bumpskid
    Wife and I have been a couple since 1980
    32 years of wedded bliss

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WellsboroSpyder View Post
    Don't know about the rest of you people, but our 2015 has no heat issues and therefore will not get a snorkel kit on it like the 2013.
    Correct, the heat issues seem to be between 2010-2013. What I saying was that BRP should of included ALL 998's in the recall and not just the 13's. BRP wouldn't pick up the tab for out vents which isnt the issue since they weren't that $$$. My issue is that I believe they know the issues and only included the 13's because thats the year that the complainant/PD had instead of researching prior years with numerous reports of heat issues.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Correct, the heat issues seem to be between 2010-2013. What I saying was that BRP should of included ALL 998's in the recall and not just the 13's. BRP wouldn't pick up the tab for out vents which isnt the issue since they weren't that $$$. My issue is that I believe they know the issues and only included the 13's because thats the year that the complainant/PD had instead of researching prior years with numerous reports of heat issues.

brp flat out refused my request for assistance with the heat issue on my 2012 rts. I told them I would never purchase another of their products. evidently they don't care one way or another.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WellsboroSpyder View Post
    I know how the media distorts things and maybe that's what makes this seem fishy. So I apologize for maybe jumping to conclusions. I know our 15 rts has none of the heat issues of the 13. It's comforting when I lift the seat to refuel and I'm not blasted by heat.
    You also did not want the heat fix as I recall and those that have had it are very happy with it.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    brp flat out refused my request for assistance with the heat issue on my 2012 rts. I told them I would never purchase another of their products. evidently they don't care one way or another.
    I agree they don't. And the only way to personally affect change is don't spend your money with them. The wife likes to drive the spyder more than 2 wheels, if not I would of been gone a while ago. But she really likes it, except the heat issues. So my next step is to do the cat-bypass and wrap the exhaust after I install the vents hopefully this weekend.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    They put the 2013 scoops on my 2012, dealer asked and we received.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

The spyder in question is at least six years old, I think if there were serious heat issues the bike would have caught fire long before it did. Especially with it being ridden in the area of the country that it is in. The only snorkel needed here is the one needed to help us breath because the BS is getting incredibly deep.

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like insurance lightning

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We're not privy to all of the facts concerning this event, so speculation, AND about three bucks; will get us a cup of coffee...

But with Chad...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    and what an interesting first post to the site. Instead of reporting a fire incident, we have a tirade against BRP as well as a lawyer comment already. That sure did not take long to happen.

The other side, there have been less than 50 fires reported out of over 100,000 's made. The odds are in your favor of not catching on fire.

And the cause on this one?

I have a little bit of experience with the product and remain un-afraid. I am insured though, just in case.

I have over 141000 on an 8 and 09 together neither one on fire yet

news item says I was modified. I wonder what was modifed

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hecoon View Post
    I have over 141000 on an 8 and 09 together neither one on fire yet

news item says I was modified. I wonder what was modifed
    The owner made his own side blocking plate to keep the heat off his foot, he never mentioned removing any panels from the bottom to have a place for the air to flow. He had a local muffler shop remove the cat and make up a replacement "y" section of pipe. He cut the wiring harness in places to add lighting and usb charging.

CJ JAX

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for this information.
    It still might be a little bit too soon, to call this wound: "self-inflicted".
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default check this site for info on this

Quote Originally Posted by owcow View Post
    Doesn't belong to me but I am curious the outcome with CanAm

http://www.news4jax.com/news/man-say...ing-road-trip#

http://can-am.brp.com/spyder/owners/...s_list_start=3

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Thanks for this information.
    It still might be a little bit too soon, to call this wound: "self-inflicted".
    I agree Bob just sharing first hand knowledge not judgement. Contributed negligence maybe? There are other things but forum posts are often one sided. Some people live their lives as victims, their problem, I just don't care for it when they feel the need to make it mine or others. I have a 2014 RTs with the 1330 and changes in airflow to reduce the heat. I recently purchased the airflow kit that BRP provides the dealers as part of the recall for the 2013's. Cost me a whopping $57 dollars. I plan on doing the work just to provide a little extra cooling and make the glovebox more useful (well for other than reheating my lunch anyway. ). While I was at the dealer I asked if I could borrow their templates and mark my panels in their parking lot. When I explained they offered to contact BRP to try and get them to cover the work (I think some dealers try harder). I told them that was okay not to bother and then they offered to mark the cuts for me and gave me tips for doing the work. It's a motorcycle for gosh sakes they all get warm, heat just happens to be part of the energy output of combustion. Looking at the statistics everyone should be far more concerned about being hit by a distracted driver than having their bike flame out under them.

CJ JAX

Spyder Garage

I agree they don't. And the only way to personally affect change is don't spend your money with them. The wife likes to drive the spyder more than 2 wheels, if not I would of been gone a while ago. But she really likes it, except the heat issues. So my next step is to do the cat-bypass and wrap the exhaust after I install the vents hopefully this weekend.

If it's the BRP scoops (2013 heat fix ) it will work. If it is wrapping the pipes or cat bypass that you think will help, save your money. I was the test dummy for four of the factory's experimental fixes in that I lived in one of the hottest places in the country. These were only offered to a few volunteers and we had to report our riding and what the temperatures were. Also I had to take the Spyder to get it done in Las Vegas. They would not let any Tucson or Phoenix dealers install?? Hush Hush We also answered a a group of prepared questions each week. None worked including drilling 50 holes under the seat. I had PitBull install the CAT bypass on my own nickel. That did not help either but boy did it sound better. This was the dumbest of all the failed fixes. (50 holes to save your Lover) If you want to spend your money wisely buy the scoops from BRP if they won't pony up.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zuni View Post
    The owner made his own side blocking plate to keep the heat off his foot, he never mentioned removing any panels from the bottom to have a place for the air to flow. He had a local muffler shop remove the cat and make up a replacement "y" section of pipe. He cut the wiring harness in places to add lighting and usb charging.

CJ JAX
    This alone will be the insurance companies "gateway to heaven". Some do it yourself work and self engineering can come back to haunt you in ways you can't believe.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

If it's the BRP scoops (2013 heat fix ) it will work. If it is wrapping the pipes or cat bypass that you think will help, save your money. I was the test dummy for four of the factory's experimental fixes in that I lived in one of the hottest places in the country. These were only offered to a few volunteers and we had to report our riding and what the temperatures were. Also I had to take the Spyder to get it done in Las Vegas. They would not let any Tucson or Phoenix dealers install?? Hush Hush We also answered a a group of prepared questions each week. None worked including drilling 50 holes under the seat. I had PitBull install the CAT bypass on my own nickel. That did not help either but boy did it sound better. This was the dumbest of all the failed fixes. (50 holes to save your Lover) If you want to spend your money wisely buy the scoops from BRP if they won't pony up.

Jack
    Yeah we just moved from Gilbert, AZ to TX and the heat riding in AZ sucks in the summer. Had to get up early and get back to jump in the pool there.

Spyder Garage

Default correct

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    You also did not want the heat fix as I recall and those that have had it are very happy with it.
    But I had no choice if I wanted to be protected by any warranty or future issues. That is why we traded it in on our 2015 while ours was the first that our dealer did. And if I were required to put snorkels on this machine it would be gone. We have ridden with the Temps. in the high 90s(I know it's not like AZ)and my wallet and phone go in the glove box. It is never too hot in there for my phone.
    Last edited by WellsboroSpyder; 06-12-2016 at 07:38 AM.
    Traded 2013 rt s se5 for pearl white 2015 RTS se6 .
    Gloryder hubs
    622 trailer
    bumpskid
    Wife and I have been a couple since 1980
    32 years of wedded bliss

Spyder Garage

Default The 2013 RT fires

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    I am going to guess here based on the report. He lost his brakes thus I think he got a brake fluid leak for "whatever reason" and since brake fluid is very flammable, when it hit the engine or exhaust, it caught fire.

While this was not a known issue on the 2010 it was on the 2013 because they moved the brake fluid tank and it would melt and leak.

Bob
    Our 2013 RT Ltd with 1000 km on it caught fire within moments after we parked from a short ride. Fortunately the rebuild was covered by warranty. The dealer here in the Philippines was NOT informed of the recall.

Spyder Garage

Don't ask me why, but this same incident was just posted on YouTube on April 5, 2018. I was ready to bring it to the group's attention when I realized this was the same incident. Why is this resurfacing now?

See:

This man's story seems questionable. There are several pictures of the Spyder "undamaged," except that it's a photo of an RT at 0:22, an F3 at 1:18, an RT at 1:40 and an F3 at 1:48. So will the real Spyder please stand up?

At 2:00 the fire is burning brightly and at 2:02 suddenly the flames are out and there is nothing but a clean ash pile -- no wreckage. Well, okay, maybe they cut out something or took that picture later, but wait -- there is a photo of the "burned Spyder" at 1:31, but there is a two-stemmed tree in that picture on the right side that is NOT in the picture of the cleaned ash pile at 2:02. Moreover, the degree of destruction from a mere 6 gallons of gas just seems phony to me. The Spyder (if that's what it is) appears to be just total ash, except for some reason something red managed to survive this conflagration just fine. And where is the back wheel? The frame? The engine?
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Problem I see is that it was supposedly a 2010 RT, but the video keeps flashing a newer F3 which leads the public to believe that the Newer Spyder's wil leave you "burning in the ditch". I feel somebody is not happy with their ride and are editing this old video for their own agenda. Mac