Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Works

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLaoyster View Post
    This is one way you might be able to stay cool while riding.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/r...FYkkgQodHUsPfg
    So this reall works well and at just over $100.00 it is reasonable. They also make wraps for the neck and wrists. Note, I have found that when it it REALLY HOT 100+. This works best with a jacket with vents in the front and back. With my Mesh jacket it drys out too quickly. With just th vents working it stays wet longer and cools longer..
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Hi Bytemi. I am new around here so nice to meet you.

My wife was diagnosed last year. Her mom also had m.s. so not sure she was all that surprised. It has been tough to see her lose some of her abilities, mostly the thinking. She's been unable to do her technical job and out on leave. She tried T
    ecfidera first but it gave her crippling chest pains. They gave her something else for fatigue but don't recall what that was. It definitely helped but not good to use long term. I convinced her to lay off the stimulate and cut back on the coffee so her afternoon crashes seemed to lesson. She's on Augagio for a few months now and no chest pains so far. She's had a sinus infection for 4 months so that's been a struggle but that's being fixed tomorrow with surgery.
    She's also had vertigo the past 4-6 months and hoping that gets at least a little better after the sinus issues clear up.
    Has hearing loss too so that will require hearing aids.
    I traded her sport bike in on the Spyder so she didn't have to worry about balance but mostly she just rides on the back but at least we still get to enjoy riding. She said riding on the back is relaxing which is import for mental health.

In all the research I've done, it seems exercise is the best therapy. Many swear by yoga because it helps with balance and focusing on muscle control. One person said working out 30 minutes in the morning gave her another 3-4 hrs of energy in the afternoon/evening. Wife cannot drive (vertigo) so she cycles around, usually 25-50 miles per week if she's well (she out does me regularly).

Our primary care doctor said something I wish more doctors would say, "there is no disease that recommends rest". Keep moving, however you can.

There were a couple of posts recently about riding in the heat.
    Most people seem to prefer mesh gear with tshirts or cooling/exercise shirts under or cooling vest. Cyclegear has an affordable cooling vest.
    Someone posted this link also: http://www.veskimo.com/

We live in FL so riding is usually early morning or late evening. Neither of us seem to be taking the heat all that well lately so considering going back to the Nashville area.
    She doesn't like the passenger seating position much on the F3 but hasn't ridden on one yet. We'll be doing that in October at a demo event. I found the heat control is much better with the radiators out front instead of by my feet on the RS. From what others have said the newer RTs have improved heat management.

Good luck and hope you find a solution that works for you.

Robert

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If it's a brand new 2013: make sure that all of the necessary recalls have been done on it...
    FYI: the 2013 has the 998 V-Twin motor in a chassis meant for the 1330. This caused many "heat issues". The ordered fix was putting increased venting for the underneath of the tupperware. Something to consider when shopping, the maintenance cost of the 1330 motor('14, '15 &'16) is signifigantly less than on the 998 motor. Good Luck.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robertl View Post
    Hi Bytemi. I am new around here so nice to meet you.

My wife was diagnosed last year. Her mom also had m.s. so not sure she was all that surprised. It has been tough to see her lose some of her abilities, mostly the thinking. She's been unable to do her technical job and out on leave. She tried T
    ecfidera first but it gave her crippling chest pains. They gave her something else for fatigue but don't recall what that was. It definitely helped but not good to use long term. I convinced her to lay off the stimulate and cut back on the coffee so her afternoon crashes seemed to lesson. She's on Augagio for a few months now and no chest pains so far. She's had a sinus infection for 4 months so that's been a struggle but that's being fixed tomorrow with surgery.
    She's also had vertigo the past 4-6 months and hoping that gets at least a little better after the sinus issues clear up.
    Has hearing loss too so that will require hearing aids.
    I traded her sport bike in on the Spyder so she didn't have to worry about balance but mostly she just rides on the back but at least we still get to enjoy riding. She said riding on the back is relaxing which is import for mental health.

In all the research I've done, it seems exercise is the best therapy. Many swear by yoga because it helps with balance and focusing on muscle control. One person said working out 30 minutes in the morning gave her another 3-4 hrs of energy in the afternoon/evening. Wife cannot drive (vertigo) so she cycles around, usually 25-50 miles per week if she's well (she out does me regularly).

Our primary care doctor said something I wish more doctors would say, "there is no disease that recommends rest". Keep moving, however you can.

There were a couple of posts recently about riding in the heat.
    Most people seem to prefer mesh gear with tshirts or cooling/exercise shirts under or cooling vest. Cyclegear has an affordable cooling vest.
    Someone posted this link also: http://www.veskimo.com/

We live in FL so riding is usually early morning or late evening. Neither of us seem to be taking the heat all that well lately so considering going back to the Nashville area.
    She doesn't like the passenger seating position much on the F3 but hasn't ridden on one yet. We'll be doing that in October at a demo event. I found the heat control is much better with the radiators out front instead of by my feet on the RS. From what others have said the newer RTs have improved heat management.

Good luck and hope you find a solution that works for you.

Robert
    Hi Robert,

I tried Tecfidera, had intestinal crapping that was dilating. Lost 40 pound in a month because I was unable to eat or drink any anything. My husband is concerned about the weight of the veskimo, he thinks I won't be able to use it long term without making the fatigue worse. I take Nuvijil for the energy issues and it is a life safer, but I had to quit smoking because it spiked my blood pressure. I had been on Aubios for the last 2 years and that is the drug, that lead to other the other drugs and what appeared to be progression. As for the vertigo, if you don't mind me asking, does she take Valium every 4 hours? Valium is the ONLY thing that I have found that stops and controls the vertigo and allows you to function. It takes about a week to get use to, but then the groggy feeling goes away and you can function normally. Just a suggestion to help her get back to driving and working if that is what she wants.

Adele

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    FYI: the 2013 has the 998 V-Twin motor in a chassis meant for the 1330. This caused many "heat issues". The ordered fix was putting increased venting for the underneath of the tupperware. Something to consider when shopping, the maintenance cost of the 1330 motor('14, '15 &'16) is signifigantly less than on the 998 motor. Good Luck.
    Thanks for the information so I am now looking for 14', 15' or 16' RT SE6. See I am getting closer to what I need with every post.
    Last edited by Bytemi; 06-08-2016 at 01:29 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

By the way Little Bytemi is so excited at the idea that we can ride together again she keeps asking, have you found one yet???

It was a great bonding experience for us and it got through a very tough time in her short little life. I think it also showed her that when you are handed something you don't you can handle, you just have dig down and find the strength to continue.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bytemi View Post
    Thanks for the information so I am now looking for 14', 15' or 16' RT SE6. See I am getting closer to what I need with every post.
    How far are you from Galax, VA??????? There's a low mileage '14 RTL for sale:19,000.00. Posted by Sam Mac on 5/13 but he had a reply posted on 6/6.
    Just looked the distance between cities up. 315 miles.Too far???????
    Last edited by MikeT; 06-08-2016 at 02:38 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

How far are you from Galax, VA??????? There's a low mileage '14 RTL for sale:19,000.00. Posted by Sam Mac on 5/13 but he had a reply posted on 6/6.
    Just looked the distance between cities up. 315 miles.Too far???????
    6 hours!! Lol, the perfect one will appear just like Billie. I searched for two months. Too far, too expensive, bad color... Then out of the blue there she was two miles from my house.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bytemi, Welcome back! I've just started to frequent the site more and was wondering how you were. Thanks for the update, you may not think you are an inspiration, but you truly are. It's great to hear little Bytemi is doing well also. Please don't be a stranger and keep us updated. Dale

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

OK, I found this cool site that has cooling options for people with MS:

http://coolshirt.com/product-category/ms-products/

They have good reviews. I think I found my cooling option!!!!!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Hi Robert,

I tried Tecfidera, had intestinal crapping that was dilating. Lost 40 pound in a month because I was unable to eat or drink any anything. My husband is concerned about the weight of the veskimo, he thinks I won't be able to use it long term without making the fatigue worse. I take Nuvijil for the energy issues and it is a life safer, but I had to quit smoking because it spiked my blood pressure. I had been on Aubios for the last 2 years and that is the drug, that lead to other the other drugs and what appeared to be progression. As for the vertigo, if you don't mind me asking, does she take Valium every 4 hours? Valium is the ONLY thing that I have found that stops and controls the vertigo and allows you to function. It takes about a week to get use to, but then the groggy feeling goes away and you can function normally. Just a suggestion to help her get back to driving and working if that is what she wants.

Adele
    Thanks Adele. I'll definitely let her know. As with many diseases it takes time to figure out what works best for each person.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Since travelling outside your local area is not an option, have you visited Coleman Powersports to see if they have any '14s or 15s in their inventory?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Since travelling outside your local area is not an option, have you visited Coleman Powersports to see if they have any '14s or 15s in their inventory?

I hate colemans I'm search craigslist and cycle trader. I can travel a little bit not 6 to 10 hours.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good Afternoon Spyder Lovers Family
    The MS has truly been kicking my ass.
    I tried to send you a PM yesterday, but apparently I did not succeed. I also have M.S. It's part of the reason I switched to the Spyder. The older I got, the further away the ground seemed to get when I was on 2 wheels. (Plus I needed more storage than I had on the Honda Shadow.
    A typical day for me is going to work and coming home and going to bed.
    Know the feeling. When I was working, I'd come home and sometimes have to take a nap to have the energy to go to bed.
    the tremors make it appear that I am having a seizure all the time, I can't walk or stand for any long period of time and to top it all off, I lost my ability to think. I had a full cognitive evaluation done last July and found that I am smartest stupid person earth! ...... This may not seem like a big deal, but to lose that much of your IQ in a couple of years is awful, I feel stupid most of the time.....
    This kinds of stuff is awful, no 2 ways about it. But, it might not be as bad as it seems once your anxiety eases. Lots of cognitive issues are effected by depression, anxiety, worry, fatigue and even the heat, for us with M.S. Plus when you get your 3 wheel therapy going, you might feel tons better. So, take it easy on yourself!!

I'm glad you are getting your meds straight. It seems to me that the opportunity to over medicate us is great. Too many doctors don't have the time or inclination to listen and talk, so they prescribe or ignore. I bothers me that I'm on 5 medications, but I know that I need each one and why. And, I get sick without them!

As for the heat, you might want to check out my friend Paul Pelland's Weblog. He's a long distance rider with M.S. and did some testing on cooling systems. I think he designed some kind of cooling system, also. He calls himself "Long Haul Paul". <http://www.longhaulpaul.com>

~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the great information. I love the long haul Paul page. I think we have figured out the cooling part, well we know what we have to budget for. Now to find the right spyder.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I to would like to welcome you back Bytemi! It was great to hear your update. I also have two friends that have MS and realize the struggle you go through and applaud you for your strength! It is so sad that our medical fields do not look more at the effects medications have on us and are so willing to prescribe meds without realizing they might do different thing to different people. One size does not fit all when it comes to meds. Anyway so glad you are feeling better since stopping them and happy that you will be starting wind therapy once again. Wishing you and family all the very best!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Netminder View Post
    I to would like to welcome you back Bytemi! It was great to hear your update. I also have two friends that have MS and realize the struggle you go through and applaud you for your strength! It is so sad that our medical fields do not look more at the effects medications have on us and are so willing to prescribe meds without realizing they might do different thing to different people. One size does not fit all when it comes to meds. Anyway so glad you are feeling better since stopping them and happy that you will be starting wind therapy once again. Wishing you and family all the very best!
    Agreed, a solution that works for me, may not work for another person a vice verse. I just hate that it took two years for me to realize what was happening. I guess I had a moment of lucid thinking.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Adele,
    Have you contacted the "Gentleman from Galax", and asked him if he'd consider delivering the bike to you?

I'm not saying that he will, or that he should: I'm just sayin'...

Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black