Spyder Garage

Default Spyder check engine light comes on after a hot day

After a hot 91 degree day and a 60 mile run at the end of a 300 mile trip the check engine light came on. I turned it off and it went away-it does not come on now. The first leg of the round trip was 300 miles but cool and nothing happened on the way down. This was on the way back and it was hot. Bike was just serviced by a good dealer. Bike 2009, Spyder gs, 5000 miles. I keep thinking about what I have read about hoses and leaks thinking that the heat may have caused a hose to leak. thanks Jim

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jbuffalo View Post
    After a hot 91 degree day and a 60 mile run at the end of a 300 mile trip the check engine light came on. I turned it off and it went away-it does not come on now. The first leg of the round trip was 300 miles but cool and nothing happened on the way down. This was on the way back and it was hot. Bike was just serviced by a good dealer. Bike 2009, Spyder gs, 5000 miles. I keep thinking about what I have read about hoses and leaks thinking that the heat may have caused a hose to leak. thanks Jim
    What temp was your temp gauge showing? Was the sun shining bright? How soon after you stopped did the engine light come on?

The temp under the plastic between the front fender and frunk rises rapidly under bright sun and from engine heat when you stop. That's where the temp sensor is located. At 120° F you get a check engine light. I'm surprised you got it with 91° ambient. I had it happen on my 2013 RT when ambient was about 105°.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Hot day Engine light

It was direct sunlight and the temp gauge was not high. It came on when I stopped in my driveway at the end of the trip.

Spyder Garage

When the check engine light comes on it is a good idea to see what codes, if any, the system is generating.
    On most models pressing SET-MODE-TURN SIGNAL CANCEL will display all the active codes.

Spyder Garage

This has happened to me several times, even at Temps in the mid 80's F. I assume it is due to the dark color (Black Currant). I have seen it as high as 135 F. Obviously that is inaccurate. I usually drive it a bit and it cools down. I have to shut down to reset the computer. Since I know it happens I generally try to park in the shade when possible.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lousd1 View Post
    I have seen it as high as 135 F. Obviously that is inaccurate.
    That reading is not the outside temperature, it is measured near the air intake. When the bike is shut down you no longer have air flow to move that hot air under the plastic and the coolant isn't moving so it will heat up quite a bit under there.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

It would be nice to know the fault code. So if it happens again do the following while the check engine light is still on.

• With ignition switch on (or engine running) press MODE button repeatedly until "engine hours" (total hours) shows on display.
    • Press and hold MODE button while pushing the "flash high beams" button five times within 2 seconds.
    • If there are no active faults "No Active Fault Code" will be displayed.
    • If there is an active fault, an alphanumeric code will be displayed.
    • If there is more than one active code, you may press MODE to cycle through them.

2018 F3 LIMITED