Thread: New rider/

Spyder Garage

Default New rider/

Hi folks! I drove my "new" 2012 RT-L home late yesterday afternoon, and I'm still in shock that I actually bought one. This is the first motorcycle I've driven in a very long time, and I thought I knew what to expect, but this is completely different from what I remember.
    I went for a short ride this afternoon and went down a pretty steep and twisty grade. I normally take this hill about 45-50 mph in my truck, but I got the heeby-jeebies today and went about 40. The cars behind me must have seen the flashing "noob" alarm that I swear was right over my head, so they backed off and didn't crowd me.
    I think the most unnerving part of the ride was how the Spyder doesn't lean into the turns like a conventional motorcycle. It felt like I was going to slide off the seat! I started to get the hang of it on the way back, but I think I need to get a lot more miles in before I venture out onto the freeways.
    Having said all that, I am looking forward to mastering this machine, and to making many friends along the way!
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

2nd Spyder: Pearl White 2016 Spyder RT Limited, purchased December 18, 2016 with 1 mile
    First Spyder: Pearl White 2012 Spyder RT Limited, gone to a good home

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The first few days that I rode mine, I thought I'd made a very expensive mistake, but found it generally takes about 500 miles for our neurons to make the shift from two to three wheels. At first I was taking curves five to ten mph slower than posted and still feeling anxious. Now it's hard to imagine why I had such a problem. You'll get the hang of it soon and will be loving it like the rest of us. One key is learning to relax and not over-control. Welcome to Spyderland.

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the Spyder world. I'm sure you will enjoy your new ride.

2016 F3 Limited Triple Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You've made a good choice!
    Do you have any ATVing experience? The Spyders actually feel pretty similar to them...
    It might be helpful for you to read the "Dos and Do Nots" thread in the General Discussion Area.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Hints from another noob

From one noob to another, I definitely recommend reading the Do's and Don'ts, especially the part on when to shift (a total revelation to me). And if you didn't get the DVDs with the Spyder, watch the 3 safety films (parts 1 to 3) from BRP on You Tube. They tell you specifically about how to lean into turns, etc. Finally, if you didn't get an owner's manual, go to the BRP website, download it, and read it. There's a lot of good info here, too, obviously. One good hint was to PUSH on the outer arm (straight-arm it) in addition to pulling on the inner arm in a curve. That also helps you lean.

I'm at 500 miles now and feel a lot more secure, but I'm still learning! I started out going 25 in my neighborhood to practice the lean. Good luck!
    ​2012 RTS SE5 purchased 4/26/2016 with 15,273 miles. (Bellatrix)

Spyder Garage

Default Congratulations and Welcome

great choice, and welcome to the spyder world and this site. Your are spot on the path to becoming a pro. 300/500 miles is the norm to getting comfortable and relaxing ( an important part of handling is a relaxed grip) and enjoying your ryde and expanding that grin on your face...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Congrats on your new bike!! I found that I was gripping the handlebars to tight. Once I relaxed and went with the bike it clicked for me!!
    take your time and ride at the speed that you feel comfortable with. Good luck!
    2015 RT Limited Red
    2017 Harley Street Glide

Spyder Garage

Congrats on the new ryde! I had a 2012, and the best upgrade I made was adding BajaRon's sway bar. Really helped take the curves more comfortable.

Enjoy!
    2014 Cognac Spyder RT-S SM6, purchased July 8, 2015
    Rivco Flag Holders
    Eduo Innovations SRT Clear/Stainless Cup Holder
    Lamonster Spyder Decals
    Inspector Gadget Driver Floorboards and Heel-Toe Shifter
    Sena SPH10H-FM Headset for Half-Helmet
    Hopnel 1500 Front Trunk Liner
    BRP Trailer Hitch and Control Module
    2014 Escape Trailer (Black and Diamond) from 1 Motorcycle Trailers

2012 Magnesium Spyder RT SM5, sold on July 8, 2015

Very Active Member bronzeflex42's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

you've got mail..
    2012 Spyder RT Limited Lava Bronze (Psalm 27:1;Luke 12:4,5)

Spyder Garage

Welcome and Congrats on your new Spyder.

There is a learning curve with the Spyder. For most, about 500 miles. Read the Do's and Dont's thread--you will most likely find it to be helpful.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I've got over 5k on mine and am still trying to become friends with it. I think I'm gaining on it.

Spyder Garage

Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the warm welcome! I've already gone through the "Do's and Don't's" thread and found it to be very helpful, especially regarding the shift points. I was doing it wrong, and trying to stay under 3,000 RPM. Good thing it was only 12 miles or so.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
    Myron Wooley

USMC 1975 - 1979

2nd Spyder: Pearl White 2016 Spyder RT Limited, purchased December 18, 2016 with 1 mile
    First Spyder: Pearl White 2012 Spyder RT Limited, gone to a good home

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Iam a NB as well 2wks 1200km under my belt

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy6Guns View Post
    Hi folks! I drove my "new" 2012 RT-L home late yesterday afternoon, and I'm still in shock that I actually bought one. This is the first motorcycle I've driven in a very long time, and I thought I knew what to expect, but this is completely different from what I remember.
    I went for a short ride this afternoon and went down a pretty steep and twisty grade. I normally take this hill about 45-50 mph in my truck, but I got the heeby-jeebies today and went about 40. The cars behind me must have seen the flashing "noob" alarm that I swear was right over my head, so they backed off and didn't crowd me.
    I think the most unnerving part of the ride was how the Spyder doesn't lean into the turns like a conventional motorcycle. It felt like I was going to slide off the seat! I started to get the hang of it on the way back, but I think I need to get a lot more miles in before I venture out onto the freeways.
    Having said all that, I am looking forward to mastering this machine, and to making many friends along the way!
    As they say this spyder is not a motorcycle.
    Best way to get this thing under control is to ride it like a ATV, e.g., as you turn left into a left turn move your head,upper body outward slightly.
    BRP has instruction videos on the web, they helped me a great deal. ENJOY

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

&
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Noobs

Everyone that drives a Spyder has one thing in common. Every one of us had our first time in the Spyder saddle. We were all Spyder Noobs at one point. I believe we have all become comfortable and proficient on the different platform at a different rate. Some sooner than others. Progress at your own comfort level and all will be fine.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

and on your new spyder Dale

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy6Guns View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcome! I've already gone through the "Do's and Don't's" thread and found it to be very helpful, especially regarding the shift points. I was doing it wrong, and trying to stay under 3,000 RPM. Good thing it was only 12 miles or so.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
    Staying under 3,000 RPMs will burn that clutch out in very little time, the 998s love the high revolutions in the 4500 to 5500 range.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer