Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Jacket or No Jacket in Hot Weather - Which is Cooler?

I never used a jacket in the the hot summer weather in 46 years of riding. I'm perfectly happy riding in the winter. I only stop when the snow arrives. I'm alway hot. I tried a cooling vest that fills with ice packs. It is supposed to last 4 hours. It lasted me only 30 minutes. I don't usually ride for less than 2 hours.

Some people say a jacket will keep you cooler.

What is your opinion and experience?

John

Spyder Garage

My experience in over 50 years of riding is it's cooler with a jacket. Your body cools by evaporation, if you add sun, wind and heat your body can't keep up. A good jacket with vents that you can open and close will be cooler than one without. When you're stopped jackets are hotter. A good jacket like Cycleports stretch kevlar will give you better protection than leather and be cooler on the road. I remeber laughing when I was coming home from the Very Boring Aerostich Rally in Duluth, it was about 100 degrees out and I had stopped for a lunch break. I was taking off my jacket and sweating alot when these cool harley riders pulled and snickered at me cause I was sweating and wearing a jacket. The woman was wearing a tank top and was burn't so bad from the wind and sun she looked like a tomato.I ate my lunch and before I left went into the bathroom and soaked my t-shirt and off I rode. This is all based on my experience YMMV.
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

In AZ were there is always sun I find by keeping my arms in shade of jacket or long sleeve cotton t shirt works best for me.
    Kenn

Spyder Garage

I wear a jacket in hot weather also the air passing through it feels amazing when I get up a good speed. Also just bought a one piece Speed and Strentgh mesh jersey with armor in it... I'll see how that feels soon...
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

I do pretty well with my mesh jacket with the liner taken out.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wearing a mesh jacket; is MUCH cooler, than just wearing sun-block!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GOZFST View Post
    My experience in over 50 years of riding is it's cooler with a jacket. Your body cools by evaporation, if you add sun, wind and heat your body can't keep up. A good jacket with vents that you can open and close will be cooler than one without. When you're stopped jackets are hotter.
    Interesting. I've always seen these posts about being cooler with a jacket, but the idea just doesn't seem very innate. Your post is the first I've seen that includes a plausible explanation. Guess I'll never really know for sure since I've never come across a vented or mesh jacket in my size. I've ordered one or two from internet vendors over the years, but always had to send them back.

In very hot weather, I just use a long sleeve cotton T-shirt and keep a bottle of water within easy reach to sip when I stop. (The advent of modular helmets has made that easier.) The sweat evaporating from the shirt seems to help, and my arms don't get burnt.
    Last edited by robmorg; 05-29-2016 at 01:11 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

A full face helmet and a mesh jacket on over a cotton, long sleeve T-Shirt are much cooler as long as you are moving. If you are in stop and go traffic this combination is hotter, but not by that much. But there is more too it than this. You also have much more chance of suffering from dehydration with T-shirt and shorts and as much skin exposed as possible, (no jacket, no pants).

But it is a rare person who will listen to this wisdom. And a lot of people suffer needlessly for it. The reason is, As you put all of this on and are standing still in the blazing sun it IS hotter with the right gear on and people give up right there. Plus physiologically, you THINK you'll be cooler wearing as little as possible. But it just isn't the case.

I've ridden with people in hot weather that are all about 1/2 or 3/4 helmets, T-Shirt and Shorts. And they are absolutely toast after a few hours. Whereas, I'm still running along just fine. Still, it's very hard to convince people of this.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-29-2016 at 01:42 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Interesting. I've always seen these posts about being cooler with a jacket, but the idea just doesn't seem very innate. Your post is the first I've seen that includes a plausible explanation. Guess I'll never really know for sure since I've never come across a vented or mesh jacket in my size. I've ordered one or two from internet vendors over the years, but always had to send them back.

In very hot weather, I just use a long sleeve cotton T-shirt and keep a bottle of water within easy reach to sip when I stop. (The advent of modular helmets has made that easier.) The sweat evaporating from the shirt seems to help, and my arms don't get burnt.
    This is a better approach than the bare skin method. But the advantage of the mesh jacket is that it not only gives you protection in an accident, but it also helps regulate the evaporation rate over the entire surface area. A T-Shirt alone will allow a higher rate of evaporation than ideal. Fabric mesh gloves are also a good idea. I'm surprised that no one has a jacket that will fit you.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I wear long sleeve shirts in the summer, mainly just to protect my skin from the blow torch of a sun we have here. I also wear a cooling vest when it's really hot.

I see people here riding motorcycles in tank tops, shorts, and sandals in the summer and just have to scratch my head and wonder. Not only is their skin getting scorched by the sun, but also by the heat of the pipes.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I use a wicking shirt with a mesh jacket. When it gets real hot I use a cooling vest between the shirt and jacket. Very hot here in Las Vegas.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Kind of on topic...what do you all use on top of your head underneath your helmet?
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - Cognac

Grip Puppies
    Laser Alignment
    F4 Custom Plus3 Wide with Vent and front blackout
    Baker Built Air Wings
    Ultimate Mid Rider with Driver Backrest
    GearBrake - Smart Brake Module
    Custom Dynamics High Mount Brake Light with Flasher Module
    Lamonster RAM Universal X Grip Cell Phone Holder
    Lamonster RT Spyder Cuff with. 20oz Bottle Holder
    Lamonster FBB Highway Brackets - Dually Trident Black
    Best Warranty until 10/28/2019

Spyder Garage

I have both a perforated leather jacket and a mesh jacket. Both seem to work fine. The only time I rode without a jacket was our afternoon journey when we were in Maui Hawaii. It was almost 100. The Spyder even shut down because of overheating--but restarted fine after about 15 minutes.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gparr View Post
    Kind of on topic...what do you all use on top of your head underneath your helmet?
    Hair

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I find that a cotton/wicking t-shirt under a mesh jacket is coolest. Sweat pulled from your body evaporates slower beneath a jacket, so the cooling effect lasts longer than the t-shirt directly in the wind. Once I rode without a jacket and my bare arms felt hotter under direct sun. If you really want cooling, try soaking your t-shirt in a sink of cold water before riding. Had to do that one year in 100 degree desert heat, worked great for about 30min, and then gradually got hotter but by then we hit the next town - repeat the process to the next gas stop.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default jacket or no

I have been on scoots most of my 73 years and one shirt I always have with me is a
    good long sleeve fly fishing shirt. Does an excellent job of keeping the sun off my
    old body, is light weight, well vented and the sleeves can be rolled up and buttoned in
    place. That all said, do wear something! Be it a jacket (vented or mesh), shirt or whatever.
    Protect your skin with a GOOD sun tan lotion. Latest word that I read recommends a spray
    on type. I use a 100s SP rated type. Cancer caused by the sun is really wicked to cure!!
    Opinions may vary. This is just mine.

Dray

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    Hair

Pam
    NOW you're just bragging!!
    (I was the model for the little guy above this line...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wear a mesh jacket with a long sleeve t-shirt under it. I also always wear leather gauntlet gloves. Since having cancer and now for the third time, I can't take the sun. The mesh jacket is so much cooler going down the road. When I stop I unzip to ventilate. I also conceal carry so I need a place to hide my gun, so the jacket is norm.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use my Olympia jacket with the mesh panels open, usually over a t-shirt. In the worst heat, I add an evaporative vest under the jacket.

Under my helmet I wear a Heat-Out beanie. I don't know if it helps keep my head cooler, but it does help keep the inside of my helmet clean.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Jacket or no jacket

I wear a mesh jacket in hot weather and I always wear a Heat out skull cap. It is not only cooler but it makes my ears feel more comfortable under the helmet. In the heat I also like to ride with the face shield down. My cousin and I were riding in 117 degree heat, he was wearing a vest and short sleeve shirt 3/4 helmet with no face shield, I was wearing mesh jacket, mesh pants and modular helmet with face shield down. At the end of the day he was wiped-out. I was tired but not like he was.
    2013 ST , Black

Spyder Garage

I wear a short sleeve cotton t-shirt , Jeans, boots over ankles, no jacket, a full face helmet/VOX with built in eye glasses / face shield that I can pull down if needed. I bring a container of flavored water we me, so when I pull over/or get gas I take a drink.

I wear a jacket is when I am riding to work( @ 4:30 am) or in the fall ( cooler weather).
    Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Mesh jacket, no liner, and shortie mesh gloves so that air can get in the sleeves.

-Fratz

Spyder Garage

Denim Jacket with an extra layer of patches on the front, back and left sleeve. Wear it from when it gets warm enough in the spring til it gets too cool in the fall. Agree with others on the cooling by slowing of evaporation rate and protection from the sun. An added plus for me is that even though its thin its tougher than skin on asphalt...voice of experience.

Spyder Garage

Mesh jacket with sports tshirt or polo or heat out top, mesh gloves, and full helmet.
    I wore a heat out beanie in old helmet but new one is not broke in enough yet.

I wear sunblock often here in FL but i find it often makes me hotter. Guess it blocks some of the sweating.
    Mesh jacket, gloves, helmet help block the sun. Not sure if it is medicine i take but i can burn in 10 or 15 minutes.

I like the heat out gear but i do find it too hot to walk around off the bike. I even wore the top on a car road trip because it kept my back cooler during the 13 hr drive.

It isn't uncommon that i buy and extra bottle of water for pouring down my back because with the mesh jacket it will dry quickly once on the road.
    Last edited by robertl; 05-29-2016 at 08:20 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wear a mesh jacket around town and if I'm traveling a distance I wear a textile jacket with a cool vest underneath. I never ride with exposed skin as I would fry in the hot desert sun.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622